Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Swift frigidaire wall mount AC unit/ remove

How do you remove the wall mounted AC units installed in the Jayco Swift models. The AC unit needs to be removed from the inside but there are several pieces of metal trim that prevent easy removal.
I have checked the Swift manual and the Frigidaire info that came with our 145 RB Swift Baja. They are of no help. Gaps between the AC unit and the interior wall cabinet are bleeding cold winter air into the trailer and/or allowing warm air from the furnace to flow directly outside. I need to either add more insulation around the AC unit or seal up the many gaps. At night, with 40 degree outside air, the furnace runs almost continually just to maintain 60 degrees inside.
What have other Swift owners done to prevent the above situation.
Thanks for ideas or potential solutions.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #2

on mine there is just 2 screws on the bottom, and one on top. then you just have to pull it out carefully.

if it's to stop drafts, you could just stuff something all around the gap. the AC need the air around it to circulate when working, it sucks air from the top vents on the roof to the sides of the AC, and out the back, so if you add insulation, be sure not to block that flow.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

octane; thanks for response!
Yes, I have "stuffed" some closed cell foam around the unit which stops the major draft. And I understand about air flow during AC use so I won't be using additional insulation such as fiberglass.
The current challenge is to access the bottom 2 screws, as they are not visible anywhere along the bottom of the unit or the cabinet it sits in.
I removed the single top screw, but cannot locate any others to remove, hence the unit will not lift or slide out of the cabinet. It will move up and down in the cabinet with the top single screw removed, but will not clear the bottom of the cabinet when trying to lift out the unit.
I suspect that I am missing something obvious here, but what is it???
thanks!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

the bottom screws were very visible on mine, there were an inch back from the front of the cabinet (yours might not have the screws). when I removed the AC to clean in out and seal up the bottom of the cabinet (had a water leak) it was a pain to pull out! loosen up the electric cable before starting to wiggle the whole thing out. you might also want to put some tape or something to protect the bottom piece of wood, not to damage it with all the stuff on the bottom of the ac. Good luck!