Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Swifts with Bunk House

We bought the 184BH last year to sleep 5 of us when the need arises. Until then, normal trips will be just myself and wife. I like the extra couch and the dinette for convenience of dining or lounging. We have only taken the 184 on one trip and utilized the dinette as sleeping quarters for wife and I. But it's a real pain in the butt to keep changing it back and forth during our stay. I have not tried the bunk option as I felt it may be just too small, but after measuring the bunk space, it is same length as dinette conversion. Have any of bunk house owners tried the bunks and saved the dinette for eating only? Any thoughts on the space? Was it comfortable enough?

I am going to give it a try as soon as winter releases its relentless grip from souther Ontario. I have snowbanks piled up in front and on sides of trailer, so it's not moving till the thaw.

Im afraid that the bunkhouse option may have been a mistake to choose to purchase, considering some of the other options available with dedicated queens for sleeping and conversion options for guests...

Frustrated.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

Added foam padding and they work great in ours. Have not used the dinette for sleeping yet...

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #3

Just a question. Would not the 185 been a better floodplan? http://m.jayco.com/php/products/floo...id=2455&id=459

I too get irritated not having a dedicated table to eat at without moving the bed, but I have 2 kids and the 184 was the biggest thing I could pull with my Jeep. I have always resisted getting a truck, but my frustration with the sleeping/eating is changing my mind. Seems like the 185 could be perfect for a couple though.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

I had the same frustrations and recently posted this to help another member. I would have traded for the Clipper if we were still pulling.

"Quick question for you... I know we're squeezing weight ratings here but it's very close so if you can afford the extra hundred pounds you may want to consider a 2014 Coachmen Clipper ULTRA-Lite 17 Bunk House. It has Better a/c, Permanent bed and dinette, Top bunks not so claustrophobic, "Pack and Play" Storage for your bikes, bigger black and grey tanks, very close weight ratings and it's in the same price range. Here's a good link with pictures http:// www.acnrv.com/inventory/32639...Lite-17BH.aspx Even a Youtube video http:// Man I should market these things... I'd make a killing lol Nah, just something we wished we had at the time so I thought I'd pass the info along to you. Here's another option if you like the floor plan. This one's a little lighter http:// www.gagscamperway.com/rv/new/60518-0.htm Best wishes with your search"
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

wife sleeps on bottom bunk, I remove back cushions and sleep on "sofa". dinette is a catch all plus we do use it for eating and sitting...however; new 2014 Jayco model 18SRB is probably gong to be in our future as soon as dealer gets one in. it's same size as 184 but has a slide out, jay steel sofa, and a walk around bed.
bathroom has sink and is more roomier, shower w/out tub... to lessen confusion; NO, this is not a one eighty five (185 or 195) it is a "eighteen SRB".
jayco website has only schematic of unit...you can view actual photos @ www.williesrv.com
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

I like the looks of the 18SRB. Problem is we traded up from a 154BH to the 184BH to sleep the extra person last summer. I have only had the 184BH for 6 months with one trip on it. Wife gives me hell every time i look at another unit. On the upside, this weekend is huge RV show in Toronto that she does not want to go to. She told me to go alone while she does housework, so my plan is to go to the show and see if there are any deals to be had, need to get good coin for my unit in order to justify another upgrade. Hmmm. That may not be a good plan unless I'm prepared to live in it if i buy it. Lol

Will keep you posted.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdonald View Post
I like the looks of the 18SRB. Problem is we traded up from a 154BH to the 184BH to sleep the extra person last summer. I have only had the 184BH for 6 months with one trip on it. Wife gives me hell every time i look at another unit. On the upside, this weekend is huge RV show in Toronto that she does not want to go to. She told me to go alone while she does housework, so my plan is to go to the show and see if there are any deals to be had, need to get good coin for my unit in order to justify another upgrade. Hmmm. That may not be a good plan unless I'm prepared to live in it if i buy it. Lol

Will keep you posted.
Yeah, being that you have only owned your 184 for such a short time, I can understand. it's just the wife and I also, we're retired. the 184 does have the
upper bunk which has been really great for extra storage etc...but the bottom bunk is just too difficult to get out of for her and the "sofa" although is comfortable,
I prefer a little more sleeping space...I think the 18SRB will better suit our need and want...sometimes I really miss our 5th wheel but not enough to go that route again....have fun shopping and good luck. it'll all work out in the end...yep, keep us posted...
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdonald View Post
On the upside, this weekend is huge RV show in Toronto
Will keep you posted.
Went to our local show yesterday. Boy that Coachman Clipper 17BH is sharp. Still the best option in this category IMHO.
I say go to the show. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission if you know what I mean
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote