Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Taking delivery below freezing

How can we complete a PDI before leaving the lot? We plan to go to Florida a week after delivery.

Jayco 195 RB. Basic. We know we have to beef up the bed and can do that at home. But the trailer will have to be outside. We could plug it in to an outlet nearby.

Temps here in our area Maine in late January ( 22nd is estimated delivery date) range from a high of 20 to a low of minus ten or fifteen.

We were not planning on activating the water system before leaving for Florida and would be using jugs of water till we reach above freezing. Would running the furnace help? I know there are TT's on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway further north in Maine that are housing snowmobilers in even colder temps. I don't know their methods though. This is our first TT.

We can deal with the electric and propane of course.. but the water system inspection seems to be an issue.

And we may have to rewinterize after our month in Florida. Last year the early April temps were around zero.

We come from a tenting background Camping in Florida in May in a tent with a low nightime temp of 82 led me begging for a/c. Crawling out of the tent to pee at 2 am is no longer fun.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
How can we complete a PDI before leaving the lot? We plan to go to Florida a week after delivery.

Jayco 195 RB. Basic. We know we have to beef up the bed and can do that at home. But the trailer will have to be outside. We could plug it in to an outlet nearby.

Temps here in our area Maine in late January ( 22nd is estimated delivery date) range from a high of 20 to a low of minus ten or fifteen.

We were not planning on activating the water system before leaving for Florida and would be using jugs of water till we reach above freezing. Would running the furnace help? I know there are TT's on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway further north in Maine that are housing snowmobilers in even colder temps. I don't know their methods though. This is our first TT.

We can deal with the electric and propane of course.. but the water system inspection seems to be an issue.

And we may have to rewinterize after our month in Florida. Last year the early April temps were around zero.

We come from a tenting background Camping in Florida in May in a tent with a low nightime temp of 82 led me begging for a/c. Crawling out of the tent to pee at 2 am is no longer fun.
If they charge up the water system they will have to winterize it. NOt a big deal but I'd just have them turn on the pump to show that it works. Leaks are possible but not common. If it were me, I'd skip the water test especially if the dealer is close for you to bring it in when you get home. YOu will have to winterize before you return to Maine so get the process down so you know how to do it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #3

I just took delivery of a new Jay Feather today. Here in PA we've been as low as the mid-teens in the last couple of weeks, so there was no way we could include testing the fresh water system in the PDI. However, the dealer did test it in advance and winterized the entire system for me with antifreeze. No leaks. I looked.

If your dealer would do that, then you could travel that way until you reach warmer climates, then drain and sanitize before you hook up at your destination.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

You could use the pump's winterizing port to pressurize the system using a gallon of antifreeze. I would have them show you all the valves and what position they need to be in. Most common leak appears to be at the faucet connections, as they jiggle around during thw 1st year of travel.

Ask if they can run the furnace and stove in their precheck. They stink badly the first time they arr fired up, and will continue stink for the 1st half hour, it may even set off the Co alarm or smoke detector.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks to all of you. I expect the stove and furnace can be run in a precheck.We use propane and sometimes electric blankets in a tent when there is shorepower. The water was the big question mark.
We live where seasonal homes abound and they know how to drain their systems in their houses and not have blowouts in subzero weather.However they are not here now

You can betcha we will pay attention to winterizing and unwinterizing as we will be having a crash course in it.. doing way more often than most probably do.

Entertainment. Fortunately there is a racetrack across the highway from the dealer and they do have room in the parking lot for practice backing...The dealer is about twenty minutes from us. In Maine that is close. Our grocery store is five miles further away.

I am looking forward to having more than a rolling bed....
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Jagiven;368654]You could use the pump's winterizing port to pressurize the system using a gallon of antifreeze. I would have them show you all the valves and what position they need to be in. Most common leak appears to be at the faucet connections, as they jiggle around during thw 1st year of travel.

Here is the pumps winterizing port, it's the water line between the fresh water tank and just before the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg