Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Television in the TT

Beside myself are there any others among us who have no interest in having television in your RV/Trailer? From the posts that I have read it seems that most people have television in their rigs. I don't find anything wrong with it. I just wondered if there are others who don't partake.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Most late models come with one or more. We camp a lot and like to stay abreast somewhat on news. Not a must though.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

We used to not have a TV, however after being through a pretty bad storm, decided to pick up a cheap one to tune into the local weather station. We don't watch TV, weather emergency only.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

We never use it, but with three kids at the end of a long day, i have been known to put it on, but only if we have been camping at the same place for a week or so, if we are just there for a weekend, no way would i turn it on for them.
roadrash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Virtually all late model TT's come w/ a TV and are wired for the roof ant. and a cable/sat input. Don't want it or just don't want to watch it? Guessing if its standard the dealer isn't going to give you a discount if you don't want it. You'd also have to do something to close the large mounting area when the tv is removed.

I understand people who don't watch much tv at home or in their rv. If you've read any of my previous posts, you'd know that sat tv is kind of my speciality. Have it in my home, my houseboat, and my TT. Don't bother with it most of the time if we're only out for the weekend, but when we head south for a month or more after xmas it is a must. Even my wife who doesn't watch much tv is not happy if the bedroom tv doesn't get at least the over the air channels.

Some people hike, some people fish, some people read or do crossword puzzles. Some of us do many of these and also like to watch movies and Nascar.

Guess my short answer is yes we watch it and appreciate the LED HD flat screen in our new White Hawk.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #6

We have a TV and I do watch it. Usually late at night to catch up on the local news. Or an occassional sporting event. And they do come in handy when the weather is rainy and your cooped up inside.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #7

I did not think about bring faced with inclement weather. Maybe a small TV would be a good safety measure.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #8

Television isn't necessary when camping at your favorite in state location. I prefer to have a connection while traveling cross country. My wife has a fused spine and for her it is her lullaby to distract her from her pain whilst she try's to get to sleep.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

Another good point. I am lerning so much from this forum. Thanks to all.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

I tend to agree with Bassdog. I love my satellite TV. Can't get out and do that much hiking any more with the bad hip and other problems. The wife loves her daytime soaps also. We still love the outdoors and the scenery but I am a football nut and would not think of going anywhere in the winter months without my HD direct TV satellite hookup. I even have to carry the big dish for HD but it sets up in no time. Most of the time I even help fellow campers set up there units because invariably someone will have problems getting their signal in.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I tend to agree with Bassdog. I love my satellite TV. Can't get out and do that much hiking any more with the bad hip and other problems. The wife loves her daytime soaps also. We still love the outdoors and the scenery but I am a football nut and would not think of going anywhere in the winter months without my HD direct TV satellite hookup. I even have to carry the big dish for HD but it sets up in no time. Most of the time I even help fellow campers set up there units because invariably someone will have problems getting their signal in.
Have helped many fellow campers as well. Have also shared the 2nd output feed from my tripod mounted dish with a neighbor. We camped for many years when our kids were young without a tv [pretty much pre mini dish era] and burned a lot of wood in the campfire and melted many an empty wine bottle in the fire. Had a smaller tv in our last TT and the volume of firewood we used dwindled, our tv time before bedtime has increased. Sometimes its the kindle and sometimes its some travel material we picked up that day, but that football game or nascar race was available if you were so inclined.

PS: Our TT is a "electronic game device" free zone. The grands know to keep them in their back packs if they bring them. Too many kids travel to the mountains or the woods and never lift their eyes from that 4x8 screen. I'm retired and captain of the ship so I make the rules [most of the time]. Sound volume on the tv is not under my control.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

We have a kid that is five years old, sometimes it is nice to let her sit inside and watch TV and give us a break. Also we were on a 10 day trip last year and it rained for three solid days. It was nice to at least be able to watch TV. But most of the time we do not watch it.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #13

Man how the times have changed!!

Way back when (early 80's), we had a small portable B&W TV in our pop-up. Now this was before cable, satellite, etc. This little TV had no remote and only the pull out antenna on top of the TV. We thought we really had something when we pulled in 3 stations!! You actually had to get up and manualy change channels! Oh and did I mention it also had a radio built-in??

We have truly come a long way
Gerard
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I tend to agree with Bassdog. I love my satellite TV. Can't get out and do that much hiking any more with the bad hip and other problems. The wife loves her daytime soaps also. We still love the outdoors and the scenery but I am a football nut and would not think of going anywhere in the winter months without my HD direct TV satellite hookup. I even have to carry the big dish for HD but it sets up in no time.
We love our DirecTV as well. We don't use the TT much during football season but NFL Sunday Ticket has kept us loyal DirecTV users for 15 years or so.

I know they are expensive, but after a few years of battling with the tri-pod we installed the Winegard Trav'ler for HD DirecTV. Have you looked into these? You do become much more conscious of how you park your TT but they sure are convenient, push a button and drink a beer while the robot locates itself with GPS and then fine tunes the direction/angle & azimuth. Well worth the money if you are moving locations frequently. I've been completely surprised how many times it can dial in signal when we are surrounded by trees.

We had ours installed 3-4 years ago, looks like that model has been discontinued. The SWM technology seems to be integrated into the new dish. They cost less on Amazon.

http://www.winegard.com/travler/trav...v-slimline.php

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/pi...pictureid=2599

Cummins generator
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #15

If I ever wanted a dish...

I have the lightweight Jayco 185RB (or will have in 4 days). Would the roof support a dish? Or would I need a tripod? Funny, I started this thread talking about how I did not care for TV, not I think it might be useful. My bride usually does not come camping but she is disabled and of she did come it would give her a chance to watch ESPN. She is a big sports fan.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaCamper View Post
I have the lightweight Jayco 185RB (or will have in 4 days). Would the roof support a dish? Or would I need a tripod?
The dish doesn't weigh that much. Jayco prides themselves on the roof design. You'll be fine there. The question is really the cost. Since we already use DirecTV at home, we simply grab a HD DVR from the house and put it in the TT.

These days my routine is that in the winter I bring the 40" TV & associated DVR into the house as my secondary "football screen" in the living room. Then in Spring I take that same set up back out to the TT.

The real expense is the cost of the dish (around $1,500) and the install if you choose to use the dealer versus DIY. Today I would have done it myself, at the time I spent another $500 for the dealer to do it. Is $2,000 worth it to have TV in the trailer? It was the right choice for us and we get major use from it.

The list doesn't end there though. Once you decide you want TV then you'll more than likely be trying to figure out how to use this nice new expense when you are not connected to a power source. Then you'll be shopping Inverters. After that you'll realize two batteries is better than one and you'll be shopping the 6-volt versus 12-volt question and how to best fit them on your frame. Then you'll be wondering how to best keep them charged, generator? Solar? Both? The RV fun is addictive and like owning any home there are always projects for improvement.

Enjoy the camper and get some fun out of it. Worry about TV later after you've had some time to determine how often and what kinds of camping you like best.

Good luck!

Cummins generator
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #17

No TV here. Might end up getting a cheap one to watch DVD's on rainy days. Most places we camp you're not going to get satellite service or anything on the antenna. I like our campin weekends with no cell service, no wifi, no tv. But to each their own.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaCamper View Post
Beside myself are there any others among us who have no interest in having television in your RV/Trailer? From the posts that I have read it seems that most people have television in their rigs. I don't find anything wrong with it. I just wondered if there are others who don't partake.
We have a 2011 StarCraft 235fb (Jayco 22fb twin). It did not come with TV and we have no desire to install one. When camping, TV is one of the things we deliberately leave behind. We read, hike, cook, sit by the fire, play board and card games, and listen to the radio. If bad weather comes up, we listen to the reports on the radio.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
No TV here. Might end up getting a cheap one to watch DVD's on rainy days. Most places we camp you're not going to get satellite service or anything on the antenna. I like our campin weekends with no cell service, no wifi, no tv. But to each their own.
Howie..... That's what they call "getting away from it all".......
Gerard
Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #20

I have three little kids 5 and under, so for me a TV is pretty useful. Not essential but it sure came in handy to have a video for them to watch while we packed everything up and did the takedown of everything. They are too little to be outside on their own without us so it was nice. I wouldn't take them camping only to have them park their butts inside to watch TV, of course!
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote