Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #1

the 228 story continues

Those who have read my previous posts regarding our ordered 228 know that we have had some issues with the dealership. I took my day off last week to inform them of the 2013 changes to the 228, since they did not know the information I got direct from Jayco, and to ensure the items I ordered were on my trailer as one option was discontinued, and to get a possible VIN for my loan application. I left there feeling better that my trailer had the options I wanted, and I had a delivery date of 5/29. Spoke to my father-in-law who offered to drive to pick it up if need be, so I asked my wife to call them Monday and find out if that was possible for factory pickup as well as see if a VIN had been assigned by Jayco. She left a message and nothing for 2 days. I finally had enough and emailed the owner directly in a long detailed explanation of the issues from the start. I got a short reply that he did not understand my concerns but would look into the situation and reply. Two days later, no reply so I wrote another email restating my problems with the dealership and the lack of follow-up, another short email, I'm confused by your long email call me... Well, I had to work today, did not expect him to call, surprise he called and talked to my wife and some 45 minutes later here is what we have. He was unaware of any of the issues I had emailed him about because there were 2 files on our camper one he knew about the other not. With the other file in hand, he could now understand the issues and became severely apologetic, stating that this was not how he trained his people, and that he was taking detailed notes for a new round of customer service training at the dealership.

He told my wife, he is personally taking over our order, he gave her his personnel cell number and said do not contact anybody at the dealership, he will handle everything due to the issues we have had. He got us an even lower bank rate than the delivery coordinator quoted us and he is personally calling Jayco Monday am to attempt to have the trailer Rush ordered to compensate for the ordering delay. He also is going to try and schedule the delivery of the trailer earlier, by Jayco or even sending one of his people to the factory to get it, or lastly to put my father-in-law on his corporate insurance to pick it up if it comes to that. His vision is to have the trailer one of the first to be built when they start 228 production May 11th and have it here in NY within the week. Have the brake controller installed in the truck by the 21st so we can take delivery and the walkaround and full explanation of the camper as we are TT newbies, to take it home before Memorial Day. So we wait until Monday afternoon and see what comes about I'll keep you guys in the loop.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2

Good to hear that the owner has taken responsibility of the situation and is doing whatever possible to improve delivery. We just picked up ours on Saturday. Will post pics shortly. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Lucky dog, enjoy and can't wait to see pics. Will post update tomorrow night after the owners gives me update.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-guy View Post
Good to hear that the owner has taken responsibility of the situation and is doing whatever possible to improve delivery. We just picked up ours on Saturday. Will post pics shortly. Ryan
How I'd that bunk window turn out ? I would like to see a picture. We are hoping to pick ours up next weekend.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Just posted a couple of quick pictures in a new thread. Let me know what you think. Ryan
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #6

Looks great Ry, Looks like the one I saw at my dealer, Looks like you got the power tongue jack, the Tech package, aluminum wheels, what other options and what color interior did you get. I saw the other post with the pics and your comment on the window needing a curtain. Window looks good, but if it won't open for storage, not much of a help to me. I'm planning on using that for storage and the kids in the top 2 bunks.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #7

Ok and now an update on my 228 Owner called back and confirmed with us we will have the 3rd off the line when they switch to 228's scheduled for May 11th with delivery scheduled to leave factory May 18th. So it should be here within a few days, 20th or so, about 12 hrs of driving to get here. Excited, nervous about what the outside will look like with the new color scheme.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Ours came with the chocolate interior. Not our first choice, but they made us a great deal to take the one they had on hand instead of ordering from the factory. It also came with the power awning. As for the window I too was a little worried about storage. But we have packed everything into her and still have more than enough room to spare. The pass through storage is huge! Fit all the essentials along with the big ass camp chef BBQ. The under bed storage also has a lot of space for the camping chairs, etc. I still cannot believe the amount of storage this thing has. I know what it's like to have to wait for the trailer to be ready. Here hoping time goes by quickly for you. Ryan
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Hey Ryan is your trailer te loaded 2012 that they had on the lot from last fall? I know the storage is crazy in this trailer, that is what made us decide to go with the jayco over other brands with the same layout. You and isuduke are making me envious, I'm like a kid at Christmas right now waiting for the fat man to climb down that chimney already with my 228!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #10

New Social Group

Hey guys just created a social group for us 228ers , ctsvslp, bigbird, Ry, and Jayco 228. Anybody interested just hop in, we can share our experiences with each other and hopefully save each other some time, and/or heartache with any issues. Hope to see you all there.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #11

count me in
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Cool bigbird, ctsvslp is in as well, he has signed into the group , go to user cp got to groups and jump in, you can also friend each other under user cp friends.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #13

Ry glad to hear the storage is good, even without that 3rd bunk area, so I guess I shouldn't be all that concerned. I used to camp in a tent so this will be a definite upgrade. Getting excited about getting the camper but still have 10 days before they are supposed to start the 2013 228 line, so about 3 weeks before it will be at my dealer. Now have to worry about the tranny and oil cooler I ordered in March, been on backorder since then. Delivery date keeps changing, latest was the 10th, which will still work for delivery of trailer approx. 10 days later, just need time off to install it, not worried about the tow home, about 10 miles but want it on there before the maiden voyage, wherever that may be to. Wife already has reservations for 3 weekends, might be able to get another one squeezed in if it comes home as scheduled. We shall see...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuduke View Post
Hey guys just created a social group for us 228ers , ctsvslp, bigbird, Ry, and Jayco 228. Anybody interested just hop in, we can share our experiences with each other and hopefully save each other some time, and/or heartache with any issues. Hope to see you all there.
Good idea. I'm in.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #15

I'm in as well. Jayco 228, it was the fully loaded unit at RV City. It tows nice and It tracks really good. I am using a 6000# 600# WDH made by a local company, DSP Products without any sway control. Before we got the trailer I upgraded the Explorer with a K&N Intake and a Magnaflow exhaust system. They added another 35 HP which I believe made a big difference. We towed it last night to just outside of Westlock, AB where there is a truck scale maintained by the provincial DOT. The SUV and trailer scaled with the following:

Explorer w/o trailer
Front = 2910 lbs
Rear = 2755 lbs
Total = 5710 lbs

Explorer w/ trailer w/ WDH
Front = 2690 lbs
Rear = 2998 lbs
Total truck = 5774
Trailer = 3814

I still need to make some adjustments to the WDH as it is still angled back too much. There is not enough weight being put back on the front axle. Ryan
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-guy View Post
I'm in as well. Jayco 228, it was the fully loaded unit at RV City. It tows nice and It tracks really good. I am using a 6000# 600# WDH made by a local company, DSP Products without any sway control. Before we got the trailer I upgraded the Explorer with a K&N Intake and a Magnaflow exhaust system. They added another 35 HP which I believe made a big difference. We towed it last night to just outside of Westlock, AB where there is a truck scale maintained by the provincial DOT. The SUV and trailer scaled with the following:

Explorer w/o trailer
Front = 2910 lbs
Rear = 2755 lbs
Total = 5710 lbs

Explorer w/ trailer w/ WDH
Front = 2690 lbs
Rear = 2998 lbs
Total truck = 5774
Trailer = 3814

I still need to make some adjustments to the WDH as it is still angled back too much. There is not enough weight being put back on the front axle. Ryan

So does that mean the actual trailer weight is 3814 ? Or that is the weight when hooked up to the WDH ? I would be interested what the actual trailer weight is, I think it is just over 4000#

Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #17

hi guys. I to plan on getting my trailer weighed on the way to our first short trip outing. I did a search on catscale and they give a good" how to weigh". I'll be loaded up for real life towing. They have three seperate scales witch allows you to take one reading then another with the distribution bars off.Then the finale reading when you return with just you vehicle. From that you are suppose to be able to calculate your total vehicle weight ,trailer weight and tongue weight. I am most concern with my tongue weight having 10-15% for sway concerns.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #18

Jayco 228, the trailer weight was with the WDH hooked up and the trailer fully loaded (other than water). The weight will probably go down once it is unhooked as the WDH will be transferring some weight from the rear axle of the TV to the trailer axle. I know for mine, the yellow sticker on the trailer states it is 4010 lbs with full propane. I had the pull across the scales twice to make sure. I think the trailer weight on the unit from the factory is with the water, grey and black tanks full. That is the only thing I can think for the discrepancy between the factory weight and my actual weight. I did not do the unhooked WDH weight once I saw the steering axle weight was low. I realized the WDH needed adjustment and I did not have the tools with me to make the adjustments so I returned home. Hopefully in the next couple of days I can adjust the hitch and go back to scale it again. Ryan
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
snip...... I did a search on catscale and they give a good" how to weigh". I'll be loaded up for real life towing......snip
Bigbird,

The following JOF "sticky" may be a little more helpful when you go to the CAT scale, especially under loaded "ready to camp" TV/TT conditions:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ry-guy,

It's great that you are taking the time to confirm your TV/TT weights, and understanding how to work with them with the WDH. I realize that your posted weights are going to change, but when I add (axle weights) your Total Truck weights I get 5,665lbs and 5,680lbs respectively (in lieu of 5,710lbs & 5,774lbs respectively) ...., unless I'm overlooking something (?).

As you mentioned the yellow sticker on the TT has the actual ship weight, but I would assume that the same sticker would state if the ship weight included the weight of the tanks filled, although I could be mistaken. I believe the fact that your TT "scaled" weight was 3,814lbs is because most of the TT's tongue weight is being carried by the TV, thus it is included in your TV's scaled weights (compared to the TT's "yellow sticker" ship weight of 4,010lbs which includes tongue weight).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote