Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Tire load range upgrade

I have load range C Goodyear tires on my 23B hybrid (ST 185 80R13). They were graciously replaced under Jayco warranty 6 months ago along with the rims by the dealership. After 2 blow outs this trip, I have looked closer to find the tires are actually 5 years old.

Since I will be replacing all 4 tires, can I/should I, buy load range D tires to possibly get more time/miles?

Many thanks.
jwest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

jwest91, you are correct to consider upgrading to a higher load rated tire. See this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-Opinion/page2

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

It seems logical. But nothing I've read or seen definitively says that a higher load range will give more longevity. All I've ever used is load range C and I have never really had any problems. I've gotten 6 years on my tires on previous trailers and only replaced due to age. One set had well over 15k miles on them. The key is proper inflation, staying within the weight rating, and driving at or below the speed rating. 5 years is actually just about right. Depending on the manufacturer, recommendations are to replace ST tires every 4-7 years regardless of their physical appearance. Its also not uncommon to see tires on new trailers that are already several years old. Its not right, but...

That reminds me, I should look at the date stamp on mine...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Like the post you highlighted, the concern is the combination of the slim margin and the potential road conditions. I'm having problems finding the right size tire here in Dallas so I may need to deal with the C range replacement until I get home.

I'm following up with Jayco to let them know about the issue with their authorized dealer in Ft Lauderdale so maybe it will prevent the next guy from getting burned.

Jim
jwest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

see this thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-Opinion/page2

relevant point for me:

The tires that Discount Tire finally found for me are Goodyear tires made specifically for UHaul, manufactured in Canada. They are load range D, each tire rated to 2000 lbs. They were $110 each before taxes, etc. I'll feel better when hauling our trailer this summer across TX knowing we're well within parameters on the tires.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote