Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer rocking after setup......

I have a question for some of the more experienced TT campers out there. We have a Jayfeather 29A Exp and I'm looking for a solution to stop the trailer from rocking at night due to others walking around or simply shifting around in there bed. We do have the "flimsy" downriggers on each corner of the trailer and use wheel chocks to keep it from rolling, but these two items do not seem to help. I've also looked into using regular Jack Stands but due to the framework below, I don't think they will work.

What have others done to alleviate this problem?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

http://www.waynesrvstabilizer.com/
These are inexpensive and may help.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

We have 6 scissor jacks on our tt and use blocks of wood under the jack pads. It really helps to keep the jack length to a minimum. I also built some homemade chocks that we tighten between the tires.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Team

I use BAL wheel chocks and jack stands in front of the front tire under the frame. Works well for me.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

JT Strongarms. Is what you need.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
I'm looking for a solution to stop the trailer from rocking at night

What have others done to alleviate this problem?
One solution is to cut down on the aerobic exercises with spouse!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #7

How far down are you extending your scissor stands on the corners? I usually give them about a full turn (depending on how far they are extended) after they make good contact with the ground. I like to see the stand just slightly lift the trailer on each corner. Not sure if that's the correct way to do it, but seems to make things steady.

And like was mentioned before, the less the stands have to be extended, the more stable the support. Use several wood blocks under each stand, and that will help.

I sometimes use my BAL wheel chocks, and they help too.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, BAL chocks work well. Larger wood base under the corner stabilizers keeps them from settling into the ground (especially because of the rear slide), and I also found setting the rear stabilizers first helps keep the weight on the tongue. Also re-check the stabilizers after putting the slides out.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
http://www.waynesrvstabilizer.com/
These are inexpensive and may help.
Has anyone else purchased these?
We have the xchocks but still have shaking. The xchocks helped but would be better yet with less shaking Was wondering if these would be worth getting to use in addition to the xchocks.
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Has anyone else purchased these?
We have the xchocks but still have shaking. The xchocks helped but would be better yet with less shaking Was wondering if these would be worth getting to use in addition to the xchocks.
I do not have them but know a good many who do and they like them for the price and results. A little shaking does not bother me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #11

I purchased a pair of wheel locks on ebay they are wood and made to fit your TT. You make a simple adjustment when you get them and they lock in very fast and easy. the ebay number is 330548979321 they stopped all the rocking in my 29N, I do use wood blocks under my flimsey corner jacks and that also helps the settling. Happy camping!
Mark, KB9OPW
Deb, KC9SCA
markndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #12

I am glad this got posted. I just bought a Jay Feather 28U. After setting up the trailer and leveling it out, the trailer seems pretty steady when you walk around in it. However I have noticed the same problem the poster mentioned when your in bed and someone is walking around in the trailer.

Trailer Life's July issue has a article on BAL's motorized scissor jack's that you can add " Lock Nut Stabilizers " to. They claim they work well.

I would be interested in an opinion which would work better, the "x Chock or the " lock Nut stabilizers ". The stabilizers are similar to several other brands out there that others have mentioned. Thanks in advance.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #13

A trick my brother taught me is to make sure the wheel chocks are tight under the tires. His method is after the trailer is level is to place the wheel chocks under ther rear of the tires and back the trailer up a few inches on the wheel chocks. Next is to place the truck in park with emergency break on. Then I go out and place the wheel chocks in front of the same tires you place the rear chocks (or wife will help sometimes). After in place release the parking break and the trailer rolls tight on the front chocks. For added security we also use the x-chocks like Crabman and have no issues with the trailer rocking. Hope this helps.
rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

X-chocks also help slow a rv thief down by being able to lock them with those cheapy locks. If you use the x-chocks, remember to tighten them down once more if you install them right after pulling into camp. Tires may be expanded due to heat of travel. Once they contract the x-chocks will be loose and not work as they should
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #15

Thank you all for the ideas. i think I will start with the wheel chock idea that rollin condo described and then use some wood blocks under the flimsy trailer jacks. Currently (including as I write) my jacks are pretty much maxed out (in length) with no wood blocks under them.

If the above mentioned does not work as well as we would like, I will look into purchasing waynes stabalizing system. Although this system seems to work well, I dont think I would be able to install it under the "light" bumper of the trailer. I will look to see if I will be able to install it under the frame.

All ideas were appreciated and we will start to incorporate them and I will post the results on this thread.

Thanks!
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #16

Rolling,
I set up my trailer like you described. It takes some effort but I think it is worth it. Today I bought a set of the x chocks so i'm hoping this will make a difference. If i'm still having some issues i'll add another set of levelers. i've done quite a bit of trailering over the years but in a much smaller travel trailer and never had account for such a long frame. There were some great ideas mentioned here. Thanks
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #17

We have a 29n and our Dachshund would make it rock. Bought 2 24" scissor jacks and place in front of the axles on the frame. I use a portable drill to lift and lower. Tighten about 1 turn and the frame has the extra support. The TT does not rock or bounce.
rwstinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #18

did the same as rwstinson, put two extra jacks on right in front of first axle on our 32bhds, takes the suspension travel out and no more movement when set up.
ssdmax87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #19

I have a EXP 213 with the large rear slide. I changed out the factory stabilizers with BAL jacks and use home made wood pads under each made of 4X4s. Best investment though was a set of the jack stands just like the ones in Crabman's post. I place them under the frames just in front of and back of the wheels(chocked) and snug them up after lowering the jacks.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I have a EXP 213 with the large rear slide. I changed out the factory stabilizers with BAL jacks and use home made wood pads under each made of 4X4s. Best investment though was a set of the jack stands just like the ones in Crabman's post. I place them under the frames just in front of and back of the wheels(chocked) and snug them up after lowering the jacks.
They really DO work, and they are cheap.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote