Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Unhitched on I-75

Well here is a followup to our fiasco on I-75 this past fall. Recap: On our way back from Charleston SC to Hamilton via I-75 our Swift 184bh became unhitched through Cincinati. Emergency brakes kicked in and slowed the trailer to a stop. We were travelling under 55mph so it stop quickly. To get the trailer to safety, I was forced to pull the trailer about 2 miles to a safe place. I kept it under 15-20 mph knowing the trailer brakes were applied and were heating up. When we did stop, the brakes were smoking, exactly what I expected to happen. I realized after looking at the situation in a safe location that I could snip the lines from the emergency brakes and it would release the brakes. We then continued back to our home with no brakes. Knowing this, I kept the speed way down.

So, I made an appointment to have the trailer looked over at our stealership and they came back to me with this report. According to them, the leaf springs (suspension) are damaged,the wheel rims need to be replaced along with the brake hubs and drums and wheel bearings. lol. This stealership in Smithville Ontario called Sicards are a bunch of bandits to put it lightly. This trailer is babied when pulled the 3 weeks of the year we use it, albiet long runs to the Carolinas and back, but the roads are good and smooth. I'm not taking it to Alaska and back on logging roads, so how on gods green earth is the suspension damaged? or the Rims for that matter. Yes I understand the brakes and (maybe) the bearings, but that's it. I have replaced the landing gear and emergency brake switch.

And in addition to all that malarky, they mentioned to me that Jayco recommends all wheel bearings be replace once each year or every 10,000 miles. Really? someone please explain why the bearings Jayco uses are so inferior to that of those used on cars and trucks which last atleast 5 or more years without issue.

I hate this dealer, I believe they are only looking for things to do to pad the bill knowing it came unhitched. And I have no other Jayco dealer anywhere close to take it for a second opinion.

Any advise would be welcomed.

Cheers.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

Being from Ohio I know that stretch of I-75 through Cinci is tough and hilly. What caused it to become un-hitched? No hitch pin?

2009 Jayco JayFeather x23B
2007 Ford F250 5.4L 4x4 CCSB
sbpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

You could get that repaired at most any placed that does trailer work, Does not need to be a rv dealer. Shop around if you don't feel comfortable with them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

How did the trailed become unhitched? Why not stop and reinsert the emergency brake pin and rehitch the trailer rather than risk a fire towing it 2 miles?

I suspect that you may have done some serious damage to the aluminum wheels from the heat. That heat could also have damaged the bearings and the axle.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Look to see if there is another RV repair shop, it does not have to be Jayco specific. Tires I expect would have flat spots, and need to be replaced. Rims, should not have been effected, bearings should not have been affected, should be repacked every 10K miles or once a year (I have yet to repack mine), they are not quite the same as you have in your car. Suspension, I doubt it needs to be replaced, but it could have taken a beating, I would ask them to show you the damage. Brakes, I expect would only need to be adjusted. If it was truly all that damage, it sounds like an insurance claim.

I would look for a different RV repair shop in the area!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #6

Malarkey is putting it mildly. I would agree that it's possible the brake hubs/drums and wheel bearings - and maybe the axle spindles might need to be replaced due to high heat. And if you notice any heat damage to the rims, then they could be compromised, too.

But unless the leaf springs were dragging the ground, they are full of it!

I ran my Outback travel trailer for 8 seasons on the same bearings (Dexter axle/brake system). They had the buddy-bearing lube system, and I kept them full of grease. And I cleaned, inspected, and repacked the bearings and races twice myself. I had the brakes inspected once by an independent RV repair shop, after 6 seasons, and they were in good condition and didn't require any adjusting. Jayco uses the Dexter axles and brakes too, so they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes with the "repalce every year" recommendation.

I'd try to find a certified independent RV service center nearby and get their opinion. I'll bet they will give you a completely different story. They will want your business! And they probably get a lot of business, given the questionable advice from this dealership!

Just my opinion. (But I haven't seen your trailer, either.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #7

when the trailer became unhitched, the front landing gear severed the cable that holds the pin to the emergency brake, it was somewhere on the highway, no way was I gonna go looking for a pin in that traffic. It was my mistake while connecting the trailer in tennessee, it looked and felt locked and attached, but the part of the hitch that is suppose to fit under the ball wasn't. I have looked at the rims as we travelled back to Canada, believe me I was watching the trailer and my mirrors allow me to see the rims, no wobble or anything, they are as true as the day it was purchased.. Yeah, I figured they were full of crap about the bearings. I agree though, brakes assembly fine, bearings, ok i will give them the benefit of the doubt due to the heat, but the rest? fagetaboutit!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

I agree, well said. "I figured they were full of crap about the bearings. I agree though, brakes assembly fine, bearings, ok i will give them the benefit of the doubt due to the heat, but the rest? fagetaboutit!"
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

the rims are the steel white average everyday rims. The brakes did not "lockup" the wheels, just slowed the trailer down. where this occurred was not "rough" pavement, it was more undulating, little hills kinda thing. The rough part of Cincinatti was everything previous to the trailer becoming uncoupled. I had no choice but to pull the trailer the 2 miles, everything around was interstate or off-ramps. For all the crap I have had to deal with this trailer, sometimes I wish it would have gone up in flames right there on I-75 lol. I would have got out the weiners and the beer from the back of the truck and had roasted me a couple of redhots right there on the side of the road, then after my beer was finished, I would call the fire dept. No point in wasting a good open fire.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

yeah this "stealership" seems to only "take care" to those who spend the big bucks on fifth wheels and coaches. This is a inexpensive trailer by comparison, and they treat me like my wife and I are scum of the earth. They were luck to get my business to begin with, but I'll npt make that mistake again. Ill buy from "anybody else" but these jokers. Hey fellow Canadians, remember Sicards in Smithville Ontario - approach with caution.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Smacdonald; As this seems to be an operator error and pulling with the TT brakes locked for 2 miles (3.5 KM), this creates a lot of heat in the brake drum and also around the bearings.
It seems the dealer went a bit overboard but nevertheless you have to take the drum assembly apart. If the drum is still in good shape re-use it. Also the bearings you have to check for blushing/heat spots and when they are OK, just remove the old grease wash them and re-pack with grease. Check the brake shoe linings for thickness and separation. Parts are all available at a local automotive supply.
So operator get familiar with your TT and know what to do in emergency. Sounds like it didn't settle on the ball properly, so always check and be sure. Good to carry a spare emergency brake assembly as kids can remove for a prank the pin also. Also use a lock on your hitch when travelling. Nobody is perfect. Safe travelling!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #12

I always wondered why I see so many Sicards tire covers on traded in trailers on other dealers lots . Now I think I know why !
We travel to Niagra area on a regular basis as my daughter is there for school and we check out some of the dealers that direction.
2010 F150 Supercrew 5.4L 3:73 HD Towing
1970 AMX 390/Auto
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

I wonder if it was a "CYA" quote to ensure that they (the dealership) don't face any litigation down the line for not repairing something that "could have been compromised" from your adventure. If they recommend a repair, but you don't authorize it, they have an out if you come back at them later on.

We actually bought our trailer (26BH) from them and picked it up right after Labour Day (that is Labor Day for those of you in the States ). I personally found them to be extremely easy to deal and negotiate with, and their pricing was nearly $1,500 less than my local dealer in Oshawa (who we had bought our Jayco 1007 PUP from a few years earlier) and was actually close to RVDirect pricing out of Buffalo after considering the exchange rate and import fees.

Our PDI was thorough and not rushed. Trailer was in immaculate condition and other than the curse of the noisy water pump which I think everyone deals with, we have had no issues with 15 nights spent over 3 separate trips and 5 CG's. I have found that the coupler is sometimes difficult to get down over the ball, but have attributed it to both the ball and trailer being so new. I usually have to raise/lower the trailer a few times while rocking the truck to make sure they are lined up perfectly.

Glad to hear that it didn't turn into a bigger mess for you (or others) and that nobody was hurt.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #14

Smacdonald: Sorry to hear about your bad luck. However, living in the Cincinnati area I can certainly understand your reluctance to stopping in the horrible I-75 traffic. When you were on the north side of Cincinnati at I-75 and I-275 you were within about 10 miles of a very good Jayco dealership where I purchased my White Hawk. Driving from Cincinnati to Canada without any trailer brakes sounds pretty scary - even at slower speeds - unless you have a very large tow vehicle. Good luck with the repairs!
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

I would replace brakes and drums, drums likely got real hot and I wouldn't trust them. If you're bearings made it home, they are probably ok. Jack up a wheel and see if there is any wobble to it. I'd still do a repack on them.

Springs? What are they smoking? Did you at least ask them what was wrong with the springs? Something tells me it would have been pretty funny.

While there are always people that would do things different, it seems like you made reasonable choices and kept things safe. Everything else can be fixed! Being on a freeway not moving isn't fun and not all that safe. You were right to get off it!
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #16

Sorry to hear about trailer uncoupling, I did that with my tent trailer when I had it except that I was coming down a steep hill at the time. thank goodness that I crossed the chains. My pup did have brakes and I was pulling it with my truck so stopping it not an issue, all I did was gentle apply the brakes and bring it to a gradual stop. No damage to my truck but the jack wheel disintegrated. With our TT I use a weight distributing hitch and that provides additional protection to hold the coupler to the hitch due to the way the WDH chains hook to the frame of my TT.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #17

I would ask to see why they are recommending the springs. Everything else is very likely. I am sure you cooked your brake shoes, drums and bearings. If the heat was hot enough that heat could have been transmitted through to the spindles (which are integral with the axles). Now with the brakes being applied full force (remember your brakes are now receiving full voltage from your trailer batteries) there is significant load being put on the tires, rims, drums, brakes, bearings, spindles, springs, spring hangers. All your braking (in your case dragging) forces are transmitted through these components. Now by dragging your trailer like you did for 2 miles you have exerted excessive load for an excessive amount of time. Damage will be done.

I wouldnt take my trailer to an RV dealership for this work. I would take it to a spring/suspension shop. There probly are several in your area. These would be commercial shops that repair suspension and driveline on big trucks, buses, motorhomes and so on. Parts will be considerably cheaper than an RV store.

Also you mentioned that you could see your tires in the mirrors and didn't see any wobble. Rims, too, could have been damaged by the heat. Also it only takes 0.060" (sixty thousands of an inch) to be out of round - which you would not have seen in your mirrors driving down the road. Also you could have caused excessive tread wear, tread seperation, side wall damage.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #18

ok, here is the latest from the stealership. Total price for them to replace brakes $2,500. According to them, the brakes on my particular model are 1.75"wide, (that was for the 2014 Swift SLX 184bh, this year Jayco upgraded their 2016 Swift SLX 184bh to the standard size of 2 1/4"). according to them they need to order new assemblies for each side @ $400 per, plus shipping, border fees etc, blah, blah, blah. also new bearings and all new hubs and drums, with labour it totals $2,500. So, I spoke to another dealer, told them the story and the price quoted. They can order standard Dexter 2 1/4" brake self adjusting assemblies, hubs and drums already with bearings and a new axel with spindles for near $500. plus their labour about $300. All the parts are industry standard Dexter components and I will end up with better brakes. Can you believe these thieves? Why not be a good service tech and suggest to the customer, "hey, we can install better brakes for less - because we value your patronage" - but no can do! They'd rather aggravate the customer and grossly overcharge them, so that they will never come back. Stay away from Sicards in Smithville Ontario. Jayco Corp. if you are reading this, you need to look into this dealer, somethings not right there, unless this is standard Jayco procedures, in which case, will never see another purchase from me again in my lifetime. Oh, by the way, you know who makes the brakes for the Jayco trailer I have? Dexter!

And, tires, rims and springs are just fine. (as I suspected all along) Arrrrgh!
Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Search online for a Canadian shop like Princess auto, you get a whole new Axle & Spring assembly for CAD$ 400
You might also find a Dexter assembly online in Canada
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #20

I am confused...how many times have they physically inspected it? Was it the same person giving both quotes? I was under the impression that you were done with them after the first quote, Sounds like two very different diagnoses, albeit two very expensive ones.

And usually, aggravating the customer so they don't come back isn't a very sound business plan. I am trying to filter through the emotions side of this story to figure out if I should deal with them if/when I have an issue with my unit.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote