Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Very disappointing R Values in the white hawk

I called Jayco today and finally got the correct R Values. A very disappointing R8 in the ceiling, R5 in the walls and R7 in the floor. Certainly not the R14 ceiling, R7 walls and R11 floor the salesman told me. I understand now why jayco doesn't put the R values in any literature. Another disappointing item is the white hawk will not support a slide topper. Living in Texas looks like I'm going to have to put reflectix to work to try and insulate the camper.
Texascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #2

The walls, floor and perhaps the ceiling are only about 1.5" thick...2" styrofoam at Menards is only around R8 so your numbers are about right.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

R Values and what the salesman understand to be accurate can be quite amusing when you break it down. We purchased a 2012 Eagle SL HT 26.5rls in April with the "Glacier Package". I am still attempting to find out where the added foil and insulation was added to the floor to boost it by R-10. I have been poking around under the trailer and I can find nothing between the sealed under belly and the bottom of the floor. I have an email request into Jayco for clarification as the salespeople I have been working with have not provided an definative answer. I am debating on adding 2" corning rigid insullation to the floor but havent figured the logistics in that.

Good Luck!
littlefork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Please share any idea's on helping to insulate the camper. What I don't get is why the whitehawk is so weak on the R values. If other ultra light weight brands ie keystone can get to R11 in the floor and ceiling why can't jayco. It was a major factor in our decision living in Texas but never had reason to suspect the salesman was "mis-informed" about the jayco's R values. Also the Jayco whitehawk brochure was deceptive in saying "Roof - Residential attic-style insulation: Maintains
interior temperatures while allowing for room to run wiring, reducing risky electrical shorts. Walls and floor insulated to "maintain temperature"

Given Jayco quality and experience I can't understand why their R Values are so low compared to competitors. Unfotunately after our first trip the whitehawk did NOT "maintain temperature" Like I said very disappointing to find this out after the sale.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #5

This could be a major factor in my decision to purchase the Whitehawk. I live in SW florida and the AC needs to work and work well.
Medicmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

mine seems to be working well for now, but I am in NY in hot but cooler than Texas climates. I have heard of people modifying thier window tint and add tint to the bathroom skylight to reduce heat induced by direct sunlight. I wonder if that would be an option to help.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

I just stayed in mine in 95 degree weather for 4 days and at about 2 or 3pm trailer ac was working hard to keep things cool. Other than that we had no issues and throughout the morning and evenings I thought the trailer maintained temps well. At least compared to my last trailer. It was an innsbruck lite.

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
bigdaddyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #8

We have a 29 SQB, that we've owned for a few weeks now. We full-time in ours, and are currently in VA braving the heat. Although our prior trailer certainly couldn't keep up with the heat (being an Airstream) I have to say that in and out of the 95+ degree days, we've actually been happy and surprised with how well ours is keeping up. Last week we were boondocking with no a/c and although it was "warm" inside, it wasn't oppressive.
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #9

I think part of my problem is the windows all the way around I like so much may be part of the problem. Just had them all "tinted" with a film that is suppose to block 65% of the heat coming in. Going out this weekend temps predicted to be around 100 so will be a good test. Also putting reflectix over the slide to reflect heat and mostly to keep all the bird crap, sap, bugs etc etc off the slide top. Will report back if these steps where the answer.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascamper View Post
Please share any idea's on helping to insulate the camper. What I don't get is why the whitehawk is so weak on the R values. If other ultra light weight brands ie keystone can get to R11 in the floor and ceiling why can't jayco. It was a major factor in our decision living in Texas but never had reason to suspect the salesman was "mis-informed" about the jayco's R values. Also the Jayco whitehawk brochure was deceptive in saying "Roof - Residential attic-style insulation: Maintains
interior temperatures while allowing for room to run wiring, reducing risky electrical shorts. Walls and floor insulated to "maintain temperature"

Given Jayco quality and experience I can't understand why their R Values are so low compared to competitors. Unfotunately after our first trip the whitehawk did NOT "maintain temperature" Like I said very disappointing to find this out after the sale.
How come you can't put a slide topper on the white hawk's?

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
How come you can't put a slide topper on the white hawk's?
Not sure what Texascamper was told but I was told by Jayco that the outside walls around the slide are not reinforced to accomodate a slide topper.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #12

I think all RV manufacturers make incredible claims about their units' insulation values. Think we all get an RV can't be as well insulated as a stick built home. Our fifth wheel was insulated with the Dow Blue Foam in the sidewalls and floor, and fiberglass batts in the attic. Still got hot/cold. And, the recent introduction of the bubble foil in the floors with claims of high R values is only for one type of heat transfer, radiant. I'll be curious to see how our White Hawk does with a single AC unit this summer; I suspect it might get a little toasty.

Like anything in RV construction, it's a function of weight & $$$.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Slide Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
Not sure what Texascamper was told but I was told by Jayco that the outside walls around the slide are not reinforced to accomodate a slide topper.

Cheers
We have a Jayco Dealer installed slide topper on ours...
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
We have a Jayco Dealer installed slide topper on ours...
Welcome to the Jayco Forum. Your dealer installed a slide topper on your whitehawk? That's cool. I called Jayco and they told me I couldn't get one installed. Is your trailer a 2013 model? Maybe they are reinforcing the wall now.

cheers
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Maybe they just don't offer it as a factory installed option but it is can be installed? The only thing I'd be worried about is if Jayco meant there is no frame blocking in the wall for the slide topper. On the Jayflight/Eagle there is blocking in the top left/right of the slide room so people can add them aftermarket. In the Crossroads Zinger I almost ordered in place of my Eagle, the factory told me there was NO blocking and that adding a slide topper would be at my own risk.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #16

I just bought a White Hawk 30DSRE, was told slide toppers were not an option and could not be installed. Bluesky do you have a White Hawk, and if so what model? You just mention that you had them installed but did not say on what model TT (or maybe I missed it somewhere :=) ).

Thanks
Gary
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sounds like there is no blocked framing in the area for the slide topper mounting arms. If the previous poster owns a White Hawk they may want to inspect the mounting arms and ensure the screws are holding and not backing away. The only material in the location may be the luan backing.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote