Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

What do you do with your tanks before leaving camp?

Do you use the "swivel stick", tank tornado, etc. etc. Or do you just fill and dump, fill and dump until you see "clear water"? Do you drive off with your tanks 1/3, 2/3 or full to keep things moving/sloshing and then dump at your next outing? I have the Swift 184BH, small tanks, 15 gallon grey, 9 gallon black. I don't have much more capacity when it comes to towing so I can't leave much in the tanks when driving. The tank cleaning isn't the worst job but I'd love to know what the best way would be to maintain it. Could you all let me know what your process is when leaving camp? Especially you all with small tanks? Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

I don't pack any more waste material than necessary so we always dump buth tanks before leaving. A couple of gallons of water added to the black tank will slosh around and keep things in the tank better. (cleaner)
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Do you use the "swivel stick", tank tornado, etc. etc. Or do you just fill and dump, fill and dump until you see "clear water"? Do you drive off with your tanks 1/3, 2/3 or full to keep things moving/sloshing and then dump at your next outing? I have the Swift 184BH, small tanks, 15 gallon grey, 9 gallon black. I don't have much more capacity when it comes to towing so I can't leave much in the tanks when driving. The tank cleaning isn't the worst job but I'd love to know what the best way would be to maintain it. Could you all let me know what your process is when leaving camp? Especially you all with small tanks? Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Russel I always dump at least 10-15 gallons into the black tank when we are packing up to go so that it is full or very close to full when we go to the dump, I find that you get a better flush with a full or close to full tank. Grey is always full, that usually does not require any added assistance. If the dump is not busy I will flush another 5 or 10 gal down the toilet, I will not do this if there is a line up. When I get home one of the first things I do once the trailer is unhooked and everything is put away, I dump 5 gal of water into the toilet and toss a chemical pack in. This way it is not sitting empty and letting any "Stuff" that did not flush out dry up, and on your next trip out the water and chemical gets to slosh around the tank. Having water in the tank before you start using it each time also prevents toilet paper mountain from forming at the bottom of the tank. At the end of the season before I winterize I take my garden hose in and spray the "crap" out of the tank really well, go dump and repeat one more time. When I shine a light into the bottom of my tank after this, it looks brand new.
This is my technique other may not agree with me or have their own way.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I always dump both black/gray tanks before leaving a campground. On the black tank, I have a Quickie Flush installed. As to whether I flush with it or not depends on a number of variables.
  • If I'm simply moving from one campground to another, I generally don't bother with flushing.
  • If this is my last stop before going home or the last campout of the season, I flush.
  • If I have to use a dump station, flushing depends on whether there is anyone waiting in line behind me.
After dumping (or flushing), the Mrs. charges the black tank with a treatment (Campa-Chem or something similar) product and pours in about a gallon of water.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I always dump both black/gray tanks before leaving a campground. On the black tank, I have a Quickie Flush installed. As to whether I flush with it or not depends on a number of variables.
  • If I'm simply moving from one campground to another, I generally don't bother with flushing.
  • If this is my last stop before going home or the last campout of the season, I flush.
  • If I have to use a dump station, flushing depends on whether there is anyone waiting in line behind me.
After dumping (or flushing), the Mrs. charges the black tank with a treatment (Campa-Chem or something similar) product and pours in about a gallon of water.
Great minds think alike. I only flush the tank if I am at a full hookup or if NOBODY ELSE needs to dump.

There is nothing more agrivating than someone that camps out over the dump station. At times I have been known to start blowing my horn to express my displeasure.

I have seen people tie up the dump site for a half hour while people are waiting to dump.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Bag of ice in the tank while driving and then dump t a sani station, ice sloshing around will help clean the tank
Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Russell, everyone has their own technique. There are lots of posts on this issue. What I like to do if I am dumping at the campground’s dump station. We are pretty conservative on water consumption; I have yet to have my grey tank more than 1/3 full. While packing up I have the kid fill the black tank to 2/3 full. I ensure I have some water in the fresh water tank. Once at the dump station I dump the black tank first. Once I think it is almost done I pull the hose out of the receptacle and watch the fluid flow out and into the drain (I like the black tank really empty). Then I close the black tank, and then drain the grey water tank to flush the sewer hose. While I am draining the grey water. My wife/kid adds a few gallons of water to the black tank via the toilet. They also add PineSol (2-4 ounces). The act of driving home sloshes the water and waste to the bottom of the tank. We put (if we remember) toilet chemicals into the tank at home just before driving to our destination. Again this is to slosh the chemicals around the tank to help everything to work better. Our family has been doing this for 30 years and none of us have ever experience a sensor malfunction.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. There's some real helpful hints here. The dealership made it seem like I had to get in the tank with the swivel stick after every trip. We stay at full hookup sites most of the time because of our tank and TV limited capacities, does your process change if you're at full hookups?
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

We stay at full hookup CG's. In the morning, one of the first things that I do is start with the black tank. First I fill it up usually using the flush (be 100% certain you know your black tank empty handle), empty, fill, empty then let it flush for 15 minutes or so. Once done with that, I'll put in a few gallons of water and a packet of RV Black tank chemical. This has helped keep the tank clean enough that I've not had an issue with the gauge or any foul smells. If I go from CG to CG, I'll dump and let it flush for 15 minutes, a coupe gallons chemical......
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
We stay at full hookup CG's. In the morning, one of the first things that I do is start with the black tank. First I fill it up usually using the flush (be 100% certain you know your black tank empty handle), empty, fill, empty then let it flush for 15 minutes or so. Once done with that, I'll put in a few gallons of water and a packet of RV Black tank chemical. This has helped keep the tank clean enough that I've not had an issue with the gauge or any foul smells. If I go from CG to CG, I'll dump and let it flush for 15 minutes, a coupe gallons chemical......
What is the shortcut for flushing for 15 mins or filling the black tank - I tried to flush for 15 mins, but lost interest after a minute....

thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

I dump my black tank when at least 3/4 full. I can camp 6+ nights before it reaches that point. I prefer to dump the tanks upon arrival at the park. There is never a line at the dump station on Friday. There is usually a line on Sunday. I keep detailed fuel economy records. It makes no difference in fuel economy with a full or empty tank. Believe it or not.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

No shortcuts, it's the black tank.... nothing worse to fix.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #13

Clutch, I was waiting for the guy ahead of me to dump his tanks a few years ago. When it was his turn he opened the cover than dumped his black tank without attaching a hose. He washed down the area with the water hose. He's probably the reason why they cut off the fittings of the provided water hose at dump stations because I'm sure he wouldn't think anything wrong with filling up his fresh water tank at the same time if he could.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #14

I add a bit of pure el cheapo laundry detergent to my empty black tank after I dump, plus a couple of gallons of water and keep a jug of mixed laundry detergent/water in the bathroom. I usually give it a wee snort every time I use the toilet. Canadian Tire often has the oddball stuff on for less than $2 a jug.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote