Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

What to do with black tank before leaving a full hookup site?

Sorry to rehash this post but I wasn't specific in the original. I received helpful hints when using dump stations but because of our small 9 gallon black tank, we stay at full hookup sites.

For those of you who don't have tank sprayers inside what do you do to clean your black tank before leaving a full hookup site? Do you use a "swivel stick", do you just fill and dump, fill and dump until you see "clear water", do you recommend a tank tornado or quickie flush? Or is it even necessary?
I always keep a couple gallons of water in the tank with the proper chemical until the next trip.

The dealership made it seem like I had to get in the tank with the swivel stick after every trip. It's not the worst job but I'd love to know what you all do to clean your black tanks before leaving camp when having access to full hookups. Thanks again everyone!
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

On my last TT I used a flush king which was good because I did not have to drag anything inside the unit. It is an clear elbow attachment that has a hose hookup to push fresh water back into the tank. Being only 9 gal though it would fill that tank in about 5-8 mins before you overflowed, so if you use one be careful to time yourself. While it won't get the walls sprayed clean, it filled the tank quick and allowed to help flush out solids. I could also use it on the remote dump stations since it was right there allowing me to stay on top of things and expedite my time. Usually only kept me there for 5-8 mins or less with one 35 gal tank. If no one was waiting then I might do it more throughly.

After you flush it, before departing put a cup full of Calgon water softener, treatment and a qt of water. Helps coat the walls while driving to release the grime over time and keep your tank health up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

I have a small black tank as well, 11 gal., so we always request full hookups. Before we depart, after emptying the tank, I backflush the tank with an RV Hydro Flush. Usually takes about 3 cycles of filling and draining to get mostly clear discharge. Then I use the RV Flexible Swivel Stik from the inside to rinse off the tank walls. I add a cup of biodegradeable laundry soap that contains a water softener to the tank as well as the usual chemicals. I sometimes need to dump the black tank mid-week for longer stays and I do everything except the wand. I only use the wand just before we leave for home. Of course, I always dump the black tank first and then dump the gray water to rinse out the sewer hose.

This may seem a little much to some campers, but my better half is very sensitive to bad smells and I don't get any complaints as long as I follow this procedure. That makes for 2 happy campers.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

To be truthful, we're lucky to have full hookups once or twice a year. But, when I do, I also take the opportunity to flush the tanks well. I always allow the tanks to go "full" before emptying (even with hookups). Once empty, I cycle with clean water, and dump again. I'm not too concerned about making sure the tanks are pristine...after all, they are what they are...and I know from experience that the sensors will eventually go wonky, no matter what you use in your tanks.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Gosh, with a nine galllon black tank you could obtain or buy a five gallon plastic bucket, fill it with water and dump it down the toilet while someone else holds the blade open. I think it would be about as effective as any of those wands you stick down in the tank and the bucket can serve for other uses too. I'd only fill the bucket with about four gallons, though, to help keep the water from dribbling down the side when you pour.

IMHO, it can't be any messier than dragging one of those wands attached to a hose through your TT.

Just FYI, my TT has 44 gallon black tank with a Quickie Flush that I installed myself.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

the first thing i did was install a tornado on the 19H... in the specs it says we have 22gal tanks, but it sure feels smaller...

still trying to figure it out, but i do the procedure of turning on the tornado a bit before i open the dump valve.. then let it run for a bit, close the valve, open the valve... then wait till it runs clear... it doesn't take too long.. i like the idea of rinsing the tank.

thanks for the calgon idea, 3senough... i was wondering how to 'condition' the tank...

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
After you flush it, before departing put a cup full of Calgon water softener, treatment and a qt of water. Helps coat the walls while driving to release the grime over time and keep your tank health up.
Are you talking about the liquid that you would add to your laundry? I like the idea. Thanks.

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
Are you talking about the liquid that you would add to your laundry? I like the idea. Thanks.
That's the stuff. Took me near 6 months to find the stuff locally. I had to blow the dust off the bottle when I found it finally. I put a capfull or a good 2 second pour in after flushing. There is a powder too but the humidity makes it like a rock after opening and sitting in the unit after a humid month.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #9

We do not have water softner here in Edmonton, Alberta I have looked everywhere. Do you think liquid fabric softner would do the same thing?

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

I really don't know. The idea is to get soap like material in the black tank to help keep the sides slick. Fabric softener probaly does the same thing in helping to release the detergents and minerals from the fabric for a softer feel. Detergent can work but that will suds up where the softener won't.

Can you order online possibly? I know Wal mart carries it here but I don't know that it is the same brand sold in Canada. Try a google search on water softeners in Canada to see what if any comes up. Then if nothing try the fabric softener.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Can you order online possibly? I know Wal mart carries it here but I don't know that it is the same brand sold in Canada. Try a google search on water softeners in Canada to see what if any comes up. Then if nothing try the fabric softener.
I saw it on Amazon.com USA site you might be able to get it that way, Also a couple other sites as well have it on-line.

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

Thanks again for all the replies folks. I went with the Hydro Flush http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4.../dp/B0002UHVAA
and a second twist on valve http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T.../dp/B000BGHYJS
These things should serve quite a few purposes too. The hydro Flush will not only be used to fill my tanks from the outside to flush repeatedly but... I'll know when the water is "clean" because of the clear plastic. The second valve will of course allow me to close off the tank so that I can fill it but also serve as a back-up valve in case (knock on wood) either of the OEM valves become faulty. Lots of moving parts but better off replacing 1 then all of them right. Wish me luck, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #13

This is my procedure and it seems to work pretty well. I will dump the black tank just before we break camp and and then refill the tank with clean water. I'll dump the tank again and then fill the tank about 1/3 full and toss in some holding tank chemical for the drive home. The sloshing action cleans the tanks walls and sensors and then I'll dump the tank again at a facility near our home. I'll put in another smaller dose of holding tank chem and add about 4 gallons of water and the tanks stays fresh until our next outing.
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT3[/:hihi:COLOR]
[/SIGPIC]
malaglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #14

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Thanks again for all the replies folks. I went with the Hydro Flush http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4.../dp/B0002UHVAA
and a second twist on valve http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T.../dp/B000BGHYJS
These things should serve quite a few purposes too. The hydro Flush will not only be used to fill my tanks from the outside to flush repeatedly but... I'll know when the water is "clean" because of the clear plastic. The second valve will of course allow me to close off the tank so that I can fill it but also serve as a back-up valve in case (knock on wood) either of the OEM valves become faulty. Lots of moving parts but better off replacing 1 then all of them right. Wish me luck, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Everything worked great. I would recommend this setup to anyone interested in back-filling from the outside to flush their tank.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
We do not have water softner here in Edmonton, Alberta I have looked everywhere. Do you think liquid fabric softner would do the same thing?
Laundry isle Safeway... they should have it.. I always use the powder stuff
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #16

Does anybody know what kind of flush unit Jayco is currently installing in the 2012 Whitehawks???

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
bigdaddyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #17

we have the 184 swift with the 9 gal black water. after dumping I refill the tank twice using a 5 gal water container[ used only for this purpose] Then I dump the grey water and refill that tank one time and reflush. Then add a couple gallons of water and chems to the black tank to be ready for the next trip. Sounds like a lot but the wife and I can usually do this in about 15, 20 minutes........happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #18

I was told by a long time camper after you drain the black tank putting a cup or 2 of Pine Sol in and and than about a gallon of water. Let it slouch around when you drive home and it will clean the walls and the sensors., He also said you could use Rid- X, I use the Pine-Sol, seems to work and keeps it smelling better also.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #19

I use el cheapo laundry detergent from Canadian Tire. In fact, I keep a jug mixed about 20 to 1 (definitely not a precise measure!) in the bathroom and pour some (maybe a couple of cups) in the toilet each time after flushing. That water sits until the next use. If you watch, a good sized jug can be had for $2 or less. Never have any smell, plus I would suspect the soap slopping around doesn't hurt. After dumping, I dump a whole (mixed) jug in.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #20

With these Hydroflush units, I assume that you carry a second hose that is used only for this purpose?
CTburns is offline   Reply With Quote