Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #21

I guess my point is, don't give up. It's crap you have to work to work to get them to honor the repairs. But don't give up because the person on the Jayco phone said no.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #22

I find it extremely unlikely that oxidation should be occurring after only 13 months. You usually don't see severe oxidation until the RV is usually several years (7-10+) old & has been neglected for some time. It was quite common on the older style fiberglass RV's form the 80's & 90's. My dealer told me to wax once a year & wash 2-3 times. He actually recommended a wash/wax combo product which has worked great. That way, it gets waxed 2-3 times per year. I also clean roof annually. This should not be occurring on your trailer and I would say that there was an issue with the materials used or in the application process. It was not due to anything you did or failed to do. Keep after Jayco & have your dealer step up and apply some pressure on your behalf. If the service manager or the owner of the dealership owner starts questioning the integrity of Jayco and their warranty, that should carry some weight. If the "between the lines" message is that maybe I'll have to steer customers to other brands that I carry, that should get some action.

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #23

I have a vacation coming up where we are traveling with the RV. When that's done I'll see what I can do through the dealer. Fortunately the fading is pretty light and minimal at this point and the wax job made it all but disappear although I know it will soon return. If they'll fix it... great! If not, then eventually when it is bad enough to warrant it, I'll get it redone on my own.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #24

UGH... spoke with the dealer and they didn't seem very interested in pursuing the reconditioning of my front cap under warranty. The front fade returned just as I had expected. The front looked good for only about 2-3 weeks after waxing.

Today, I just waxed it 3 times and used a random orbit buffer to do a really good job. I know it won't last but for the moment it looks like new again... for now.

Wish I could expect it to last longer than a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1004.jpg   IMG_1001.jpg   IMG_0999.jpg  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #25

I waxed mine a few weeks ago and this week the fade returned. I purchased my TT used but purchased the extended warranty so I am going to call and see if they will fix it - it looks awful. I will get approval to fix and see if they will do it over the winter.
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #26

Things like this is why I stayed away from the fiberglass sides on our new trailer. I had two new fiberglass trailers and had nothing but trouble with them both, one cracked when it was less than a year old and the other one was around one old when it started coming apart.

When we walk around at the campgrounds we see a lot of this kind of stuff on the fiberglass trailers. Looks to me like, if they are going to continue to build these things they would get their act together.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #27

what about spraying a clear coat over the front cap or just repainting it ?
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #28

Just walked out and checked mine and sure enough, completely faded front top cap. I've already waxed it twice and it's less than a year old! I'm so pissed off I can't see straight. There either gonna fix it or find the damn thing sitting in their parking lot for good. What a cheap ass product. I paid good money for this thing and this is what I get.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
what about spraying a clear coat over the front cap or just repainting it ?
At some point I will have mine redone but I feel like there is no point in hurrying because apparently in a year it is likely to just end up doing this again. Could just end up being wasted money. But, if I do end up refinishing it, I am going to see about doing it in white so that it won't be such a sun / UV magnet. Medium to dark brown seems like it was not the best idea for them to put on these front caps.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #30

Dealership buffed - fade is back, two months

I took the TT to the dealership as they requested and they had a person who specializes in fiberglass polishing come in and power buff the front cap. That was the first of May and about a week ago I notices it is fading again in blotchy patches. So it lasted a month longer than my hand waxing job. Something I am guessing I will have to live with. I bought it used and the Jayplus plan does not cover the outside and Jayco apparently does care if a three year old camper with their name plastered all over the front is faded.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #31

My Whitehawk looks brand new from the inside, the outside rear, and the outside sides. However, from the front, it looks horrible now. The fade is so incredibly bad and noticeable. We are thinking about trading to a fifth wheel so I will probably just leave it alone. However, if we don't, then I am going to have to get the front cap redone. Maybe painted and clear-coated so it doesn't do this again anytime soon.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #32

Recently spoke to a dealer about the new white exterior colors on the Whitehawk and was told that the change was because of the fading problems with the darker front caps.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #33

Had mine recently repainted and it looks fantastic. They put on extra clear coat and it should be fine for many many years now.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #34

I see this is an older thread, but our 2014 24 RBS had the same issue, front cap Gel Coat was fading and cracking after one year.

The dealer initially said the Jayco would have it painted and new decals under warranty, but after I took it in, Jayco replaced the whole from cap (it took awhile). I was very happy with Jayco's response - that OEM Gel Coat had issues, premature failure, Jayco knew it and damned if the didn't stand behind it - I was very happy!

This is our second Jayco, and while we occasionally have issues, I have no reason to ever buy anything else.
blanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #35

Update. Now that summer is over the front continued to fade and looks as bad as it did before the dealer buffed it out in April of this year. I continued to ask the dealer what could be done and they continued to pressure Jayco with no answers from Jayco.

I am only about three hours from the Jayco plant in Middlebury, IN. so I even considered camping near Middlebury and paying them a visit in their parking lot with my faded out White Hawk. Jayco states over an over in their marketing that they want customer satisfaction. If they expect me to buy another one they need to step it up.

And then the answer came today. Jayco stepped up and agreed to repaint the front of my TT. I am not thrilled with how long it took but my dealership kept pressuring them and they finally agreed today, even though it is out of warranty.

All I can say is for those of you having trouble with front fade, document it and keep on the dealership, or do what I considered; while on an extended camping trip park it in their parking lot in Middlebury IN. and see if they will respond to your concerns as a practically brand new TT with JAYCO plastered across the front has faded paint.

Thanks for finally stepping up Jayco!