Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

White Hawk slide question

I just purchased a 2017 White Hawk 24mbh, and I noticed when the dinette slide is in, the floor in the slide is not level with the main trailer floor. It slides in and out fine, and the dinette is level when fully extended out. Is this normal or should the dinette floor be level and right over the main floor? There is about a one inch gap that will trip you up if you try and walk to the back of the trailer when slide is in.

Thanks in advance!
JerryMathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

When I picked up my 28DSBH the slide floor was leveled with the main floor, when slide was in. After a couple of times slide in/out, I got this gap as well. From the outside, I think the slide is also not aligned perfectly with the trailer - there is also a small gap.

It was discussed somewhere here recently.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #3

A small gap is acceptable as the slide has to lift a bit to glide over the main floor w/o scratching it. If on the outside the slide looks tight and level when closed, or level and straight when extended, and it operates freely, I would say that pretty normal. I think I noticed when my slide is retracted, you can slide your fingers under it.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

I always assumed that was normal. But I also avoid using the diner or couch while skid in because it looks like it might crack the subfloor. Sucks for quick rest stop camping while roadtripping though.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Cirrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #5

Ours has the same rise to it when it is pulled in. We don't step on it at all. The subfloor is super fragile. We cannot get our Murphy down with it in - a design flaw. Hopefully, we won't have a failure on the road, or we will be in bad shape for sleeping. Our next unit will have a separate bedroom. I go back and forth on the whole slide thing. The space is nice, but units without slides have greater wall integrity and obviously no slideout issues (leaks, failures, unit accessibility).
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

We have a 2017 24MBH and our slide has the same gap when in that you describe. Our slide seals tight when in and when extended. When the slide is in there is not much room to move from the front to the back past the slide without extending it some. We are very careful not to step on the raised portion of the slide when it is in. The 24MBH serves our purposes very well. We like our 24MBH.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

I have a 2014 W Hawk and the slight rise in the slide floor when retracted is normal. It is just how it is engineered that way. It is flush on the outside seals and when extended it is flat and level.

Use of a TT or 5'er with slides in is ok but you will have access and use issues. These things are designed to optimize creature comforts and space when set up at a campsite. Quick stop overs in a rest area allow you limited use such as the fridge, bathroom and seating. In our WH you have to extend the kitchen galley slide to open the fridge or use the stove. We have a center island. To get to the back of the TT you have to extend at least one of the slides.

In response to the comment by one poster that they are rethinking the slide thing, I would ask would you sacrifice the added floor space created by a slide out when set up just so you could have temporary access to everything when you stop over for lunch? If its an overnite in a W World parking lot, extend the slide and drop the murphy bed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

Thank you all for your replies, it has alleviated my concerns! I love the slide and the extra floor space we get from it and our murphy bed can be down when slide is in so that is not an issue. Also, it takes less than a minute to put slide out so that is not a big deal when stopping roadside for lunch!

Happy Camping!!!
JerryMathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #9

I would like to ask a related question - is this OK to use slide out without stabilizers? I understand that the trailer should be as level as possible, but are there any issues related to use the slide out with a shaking trailer, i.e. when the stabilizers are up?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I would like to ask a related question - is this OK to use slide out without stabilizers? I understand that the trailer should be as level as possible, but are there any issues related to use the slide out with a shaking trailer, i.e. when the stabilizers are up?
I would think not. In a rest area or big box parking lot you can find a relatively level place to park. You are not going to be doing Yoga on the slide table so normal activities aren't going to be a problem. A little wiggle or even the kids rough housing around on the floor isn't going to put any significant strain on the slide. We do it all the time when we over night on a long road trip. We leave the TT/TV connected and have only used the stableizers to make slight adjustments to the overall balance of the TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote