Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Whitehawk 27DSRL

This weekend we checked out a few travel trailers and really liked the layout, look and design of the 2017 Whitehawk 27DSRL. What can you tell me about this model? Whitehawk models in general? Any issues I should be concerned about?

1998 Jayco Eagle UDST
firewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

Have had ours for about 5 months now and the only issue we have is when you recline the rocker closest to the door, it blocks the door. Other than that a great trailer. Also, if ordering, don't get the bumper mounted grill. It seems really light duty and will only last a couple of years. Go for something aftermarket that has better quality.
Husker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

We've had ours about 4 months. I second the issue with the recliner near the door, but I like to sit on the sofa with my back to a throw pillow and the wall anyway
. We have the 13000 BTU AC. If you are going to be in really hot weather, you might want to go with the 15000. In 105º-110º heat last week near Sacramento, the trailer stayed at around 88º inside. One thing I would recommend is the skylight in the kitchen. It makes a tremendous difference in ambient light and can be partially closed off with the blind that goes across it.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

We have the 15k AC and Kitchen skylight and like both. Skylight lets in a little heat when it's real hot, but the light it lets in is more than worth the inconvenience of the heat. 15k AC has kept up in upper 90 degree heat here in the midwest.
Husker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

I have to agree in regards to the chair near the rear door. We removed that chair and now use the space for storage and a place for Seamus to curl up. This is our third year camping in the trailer and we have found very little to complain about.
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Almost bought a model with that floorplan and decided against it due to the whole "chair" thing.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

We have a 2016 DSRL. We don't have the higher AC unit tho, but we do have the free-standing table, which we really like. You lose some storage space, but it's alot more comfortable to sit at. Also, most of the time there is just the two of us anyhow, so we only take two chairs and use the additional space on one side for a shoe rack and other stuff.

Ditto on the skylight. Makes a big difference. And ya, the chair does block the door if its reclined, but it's not a deal breaker for us. The bathroom is a little cramped, and you'll probably need to add towel racks. We are now trying the spring mounted shower curtain rod across the shower as a way to hang wet towels.

We tow easily with a half ton. It's a great couples unit. As someone else said, seats 6, feeds four and sleeps two! (Well, our sleeps 4 as there is a hide-a-bed...
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

2017 27dsrl

We have a 2017. Ordered it loaded with the 15k ac and electric stabilizers also got the table and chairs. Ditto removed 2 works fine for us. Recliner is not an issue for us. We do hate the HARD Denver Mattress. After the first trip I switched it out with one from our spare bedroom at home. That's about my only complaint. One of the best things I added was a set of JT Strongarm stabilizers they really took the bounce out of walking around the trailer.
JimmyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

We love our 2016 Whitehawk 27DSLR.
We brought it home August 2015 and have 102 Nights and 2142 Miles on it.
www.stormpod.org

We wanted couples trailer. We wanted full queen bed, shower without tub, residential toilet. We got the table and chairs and removed 2 chairs. The recliner at the door is not an issue for us.

We are empty nested and travel with 2 70lbs lab mixes. The floor plan works for us. We go to every rv show with in a day drive and have not seen anything we like more in a travel trailer and very few 5th wheels.

We have done a few mods - Added EMS, Detachable Power cord, new faucets, added Satellite TV, Digital Thermostat, etc - details is on the rigs hobby website www.stormpod.org.

Last week the power tongue jack failed on the way home from Sunset Beach, NC to Ohio. Called Jayco...sent us to a Jayco Dealer....replaced with new one same day.

We added a custom door stop to the door from main cabin to restroom. Added a range top/cover.

Biggest issue we have had is with the sliding door between the bedroom and restroom. Just had a few issues with it coming off track, etc. After this last trip I completed a mod to fix this permanent. I will have this mod on the website soon.

We added a Sleep Number bed - love it. Added residential water filter - I do not have this mod documented yet. Made several mods to front compartment as well.

I run a TST tpms and have had not tire or break issues. Tows great. The full options we have are on the website as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Do you have pictures of your modifications somewhere? I looked on the storm pod website, but couldn't see anything.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormpod1 View Post
We love our 2016 Whitehawk 27DSLR.
We brought it home August 2015 and have 102 Nights and 2142 Miles on it.
www.stormpod.org

We wanted couples trailer. We wanted full queen bed, shower without tub, residential toilet. We got the table and chairs and removed 2 chairs. The recliner at the door is not an issue for us.

We are empty nested and travel with 2 70lbs lab mixes. The floor plan works for us. We go to every rv show with in a day drive and have not seen anything we like more in a travel trailer and very few 5th wheels.

We have done a few mods - Added EMS, Detachable Power cord, new faucets, added Satellite TV, Digital Thermostat, etc - details is on the rigs hobby website www.stormpod.org.

Last week the power tongue jack failed on the way home from Sunset Beach, NC to Ohio. Called Jayco...sent us to a Jayco Dealer....replaced with new one same day.

We added a custom door stop to the door from main cabin to restroom. Added a range top/cover.

Biggest issue we have had is with the sliding door between the bedroom and restroom. Just had a few issues with it coming off track, etc. After this last trip I completed a mod to fix this permanent. I will have this mod on the website soon.

We added a Sleep Number bed - love it. Added residential water filter - I do not have this mod documented yet. Made several mods to front compartment as well.

I run a TST tpms and have had not tire or break issues. Tows great. The full options we have are on the website as well.

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #11

We have a 2013 as you can see in our signature. Will be the last trailer we own.

Great for a couple. We have table and chairs (take 2 with us). We like the fact that the living area is separated from the bedroom. DW can watch TV in bedroom while I read in the living area. Have 24" Toshiba with DVD built in for bedroom and a 39" Visio in the living area. Most of my stick house TVs are Samsung, go figure!

I think the bathroom is quite spacious. Lots of storage for towels etc. Have added a towel rack and hooks to hang clothes on either side of to toilet, also a residential water faucet to the sink and a Fantastic Fan.

Other mods a Progressive Industries EMS and detachable power cord, a digital thermostat (a must have), and a sleep number bed, which we carried over from our previous trailer.

Replaced both rear swivel chairs with a crate for 100 lb. Black Lab/ Great Dane mix on the street side and a small recliner on the curb side.

Be aware that the current 27DSRL is about #600 heavier than ours. Also our tongue weight is between 900 and 1000# depending on how loaded. Be sure your half-ton truck is sufficent.

We have 15k a/c and thermal package. Think these pay off because we are in the south.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Sure - The one I have published are on the blog link. Here are the direct links.

StormPOD

Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS)
StormPOD: MOD - Electrical Management Systems (EMS)

Make 30 amp cord detachable
StormPOD: MOD - Making the 30 amp Cord Detachable

Digital Thermostat Upgrade
StormPOD: Thermostat Upgrade

Electrical Panel List
StormPOD: Jayco Whitehawk 27DSLR Electrical Panel

The Sliding door mod and a few others are almost done but not posted yet.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote