Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Whitehawk Covers?

Does anyone have any thoughts or opionions for storage covers on the Whitehawk? With the curve on the front I did not know if there was a special cover to use or not.
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

I was wondering the same thing. Our new 30dsre is enroute to our dealership and I was at campingworld looking over various products. Wonder if it would be best to custom order? BTW - Does anybody know the length of the 30dsre from rear bumper to front of coach? Ours will also have a ladder on it.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Our new 30dsre is enroute to our dealership and I was at campingworld looking over various products. Wonder if it would be best to custom order? BTW - Does anybody know the length of the 30dsre from rear bumper to front of coach? Ours will also have a ladder on it.
Length is something like 33 1/2 feet. We have almost the exact same set up. 2014 WH dsre, towing with a Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4. Pulled great on the 450 mile pull home from the dealer and on our only other outing so far. You'll love it. The manual leaves a lot to the imagination. If you have questions give me a PM as we may have already figured it out. We have had ours since May 15.

Wife wants a cover but I'm not sure. Have read a lot about covers and the jury is really hung on good/bad benefits from using one. We use our TT on site at home for occasional housing when kids visit so need access to extend slides and use AC or furnace. Not sure if a cover will work for us.

A couple of Ah ha's:

1] The On/Off tstate on the little fridge outside is all the way to the back of the unit on the top right side. They cut out a small access hole in the paneling and you have to kind of crawl in the storage and reach into the opening. Not that bad once you figure it out, but had to call the manuf. as the manual refers to it being on the ceiling of the unit.

2] Sat TV hook-up is not covered in the manual. Have to remove the loop connector and take a coax from the top to the receiver and the out to tv on the receiver back to the bottom on the wall. Could be the other way but the key is removing the loop.

3] Don't trust the bubble level on the tongue jack.Mine is 1/2 bubble off.

4]WH axles seem farther to the rear than our old shorter TT. Most of the extra 5 feet seems to be forward of the axles. Result is the WH will drag to the inside on a tight turn more than I was use to. Remember to take wide turns.

5]Taller than my other TT's so if you had tight tolerances in your driveway or parking area, plan on some trimming. Also WH sits higher off the ground [3 streps] so set up on a level site or one that drops off slightly to the rear. If the site rises to the rear, you'll need an extra step of some sort on the ground.

6] Really plenty of storage but you'll need to get creative with the pantry to optimize.

7]Unless you entertain, we couldn't see the need for 2 swivel chairs. Remove one and put in storage for when the other one wears out. They aren't the greatest quality so we'll likely need to do the swap in a couple years. Looking to save weight.

8]Ceiling lite in Bedroom is a challenge for anyone under 6'. Just added a puck lite on the front of the r-side bedside table. Will get the wife into bed without having to climb on the end of the bed.

You will Love this TT. The living area is unbelievable. We still just sit there and are amazed at the space for the 2 of us and our 2 very large dogs.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #4

Correction: Rear bumper to the front of the coach is 30 ft. Total length to the tongue is 33 1/2.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Length is something like 33 1/2 feet. We have almost the exact same set up. 2014 WH dsre, towing with a Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4. Pulled great on the 450 mile pull home from the dealer and on our only other outing so far. You'll love it.

We live on the most hilly part of I5 here in S. Oregon with 7% grades. Guess we'll stay with the semis at 45mph but we're ok with that. What are you useing for sway control? Planning on using 2 friction sway bars with our WDH. If it is insufficient then will check into a new WDH with sway control incorporated into it.

The manual leaves a lot to the imagination. If you have questions give me a PM as we may have already figured it out. We have had ours since May 15.

Wife wants a cover but I'm not sure. Have read a lot about covers and the jury is really hung on good/bad benefits from using one. We use our TT on site at home for occasional housing when kids visit so need access to extend slides and use AC or furnace. Not sure if a cover will work for us.

Our rv pad is too narrow to extend when parked at home. I think I've settled on a cover - Adco Designer with Tyvek. We get lots of rain here so need a cover up to the challenge. We want to add solar panels to our TT but roof mounting them wont work if we keep it covered. Currently checking into portable systems like Zamp

http://www.zampsolar.com/

Will order cover once we accept deliver and can get exact measurements.

A couple of Ah ha's:

1] The On/Off tstate on the little fridge outside is all the way to the back of the unit on the top right side. They cut out a small access hole in the paneling and you have to kind of crawl in the storage and reach into the opening. Not that bad once you figure it out, but had to call the manuf. as the manual refers to it being on the ceiling of the unit.Good to know. Thanks

2] Sat TV hook-up is not covered in the manual. Have to remove the loop connector and take a coax from the top to the receiver and the out to tv on the receiver back to the bottom on the wall. Could be the other way but the key is removing the loop.
I was wondering about that loop. We want to add a blu ray player and a Winegard Signal detector along with an HD antenna. It all seems doable when I can map it out.

3] Don't trust the bubble level on the tongue jack.Mine is 1/2 bubble off.

How are you doing with tilt after you extend slide outs. I got advice that it would be best to mount 2 level bubbles with tilt being factored in so I can level with compensated bubbles prior to extending the slides and then ant tilt will bring the TT into exact balance.

4]WH axles seem farther to the rear than our old shorter TT. Most of the extra 5 feet seems to be forward of the axles. Result is the WH will drag to the inside on a tight turn more than I was use to. Remember to take wide turns.

5]Taller than my other TT's so if you had tight tolerances in your driveway or parking area, plan on some trimming. Also WH sits higher off the ground [3 streps] so set up on a level site or one that drops off slightly to the rear. If the site rises to the rear, you'll need an extra step of some sort on the ground.

6] Really plenty of storage but you'll need to get creative with the pantry to optimize.

7]Unless you entertain, we couldn't see the need for 2 swivel chairs. Remove one and put in storage for when the other one wears out. They aren't the greatest quality so we'll likely need to do the swap in a couple years. Looking to save weight.

8]Ceiling lite in Bedroom is a challenge for anyone under 6'. Just added a puck lite on the front of the r-side bedside table. Will get the wife into bed without having to climb on the end of the bed.

Did you mount TV in bedroom? We have a TV/DVD combo unit flat panel that is 26 inches with swing out tilt mount but it doesnt lock so will need to figure out how to secure during travel time. Hope the designated mount site is secure enough for the lag bolts.

You will Love this TT. The living area is unbelievable. We still just sit there and are amazed at the space for the 2 of us and our 2 very large dogs.
Thanks for your input....very helpful

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

We are using a Reese WDH with one friction sway bar. Had to go with a taller receiver bar to get a proper balance between TV and TT. Bought it on line for $150. Don't seem to have a problem with only 1 sway bar.

The Jensen radio system is supposed to have a DVD player function. Haven't tried it yet. We are strictly Dish Sat TV. Use the roof ant. for locals when overnighting on the road. TV is a brand I've never heard of but so far its doing fine. No TV yet in the bedroom but have a 19" from our old TT that I plan on installing. Will use a simple swing out mount and will have to figure some way to hold in position in travel. I've heard that the mount location marked is not always accurate. Plan on using a wall stud finder to see if I can isolate the brace.

I have never experienced any issue with balance after extending slide. If it happens, it is minimal. Will do the same thing you mentioned.

Still not thinking we'll go with a cover. Covers are not primarily for water proofing. They are designed to be vented so that air can circulate under the cover. Would have to get a custom cover anyway because we use our TT at home for family visits and need to be able to extend the slides.

Son lives in Eugene so I'm familiar with the rain thing out there. Shuttle Guy at the airport described the weather as a couple months of sunshine followed by 10 months of rain. We did a MHome trip last summer and covered a bunch of the sites in Or. Lots of outdoors things to do. Son loves it. Go Ducks!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #7

Oh forgot to mention, main modification so far was to install a fantastic fan to replace the standard vent/stink fan. Also added a MaxAirII vent cover. Not even a question, you need to install a fantastic fan. Open a couple of windows and turn on the fan and with the cool evenings out there you'll never even think about the AC. Did the same on our previous TT and kicked ourselves for waiting 3 years to do it.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts or opionions for storage covers on the Whitehawk? With the curve on the front I did not know if there was a special cover to use or not.
We have the 28DSBH
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Yes a fantastic fan us in the list alomg with struts for the bed to stay up when needed.

Is your bed a 60x70 queen. I think my feet are going to dangle. We are thinking of adding a foam block (70x6x7) at the head of the bed. Saw a video where so eone did this thenwhen bed is not in use propped foam block up behind pillows and slod mattress back into place. My wife thinks this will also allow us to use standard size queen bed sheets.

No doubt, I will use the stud finder when needed. Any idea on what length lag bolts you will use?

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Check the width of the wall [2 1/2 " i think] and go shorter. Probably 1 1/2" max. Just need to get into the wall brace and not out the other side. The 30dsre has the short queen. The foam block will extend the length but don't know about the reg size sheets. I'd just use the rv short size and pull the foam block up on the pillows when you travel so you can get around in the bedroom easier. We pulled the foam mattress that comes from Jayco and replaced it with the eurotop mattress we purchased from Camping World for our previous TT. The Jayce OEM mattress is better than the typical mattress that TTs come with, but still most people think they have to add a topper. Get the CW mattress. I haven't tried the foam block extension yet as in the past I've used the little cavity at the head of the mattress to store a couple fishing poles and on occasion a short barrel 870. We are not tall people so the mattress has not been a problem.

Let me know how the struts work. Wife struggles with raising the bed. I added a broom stick to hold it up but getting it there is tough for her.

PS on that fantastic fan, the roof of the White Hawk is thicker than other brands. The inside vanity cover is an inch or so to short to sandwich with the main fan / vent assembly. I cut some extension pannels [1 1/2 or 2" ] and attached them to the top edge of the vanity panel. Had some scrap parts from something that were same color. Easy fix.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #11

The Jayco OEM mattress is now made by Denver Mattress and we did find them very comfortable but I'll be sure the check out the ones at CW next time I'm there. BTW a new CW is under construction in Eugene a stones throw from the Marathon manufacturer. Prior to this we had to go nearly to Portland to visit a CW.

Thanks for the tips on the Fantastic Fan.

I'm sitting here wondering if my TT is on the road someplace? Getting very anxious. Still have 10 days of vacation to burn and want to spend them in the new TT.

Was wondering, do you experience much sway after your stabalizers are down? I have looked at the BAL-X chocks and the strut types that attach to the crank down stabalizers. Any thoughts?

I have 2 Camco vent covers that I took off my old TT. Would like to hear more about why you went with Max AirII. Is it because you have to clean the fan blades frequently on your Fantastic Fan?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

A little sway the morning after set up, but snug the supports in the morning and usually takes care of it. Only been out for 1 multi day trip with the WH and only snugged things a couple times. Not sure I see the need for anything else. Went with MaxAirII because that is what I put on my previous TT when I did the fantastic fan. Don't know if one is better than an other but went with what I was familiar with. Had no problems or leaks with the MaxAir even in some pretty rough weather. Usually closed the vent if bad weather was in the area, but sometimes get rain at night. Still no drips.

You may need to use a glue gun to secure some of the paneling trim. We did. The loose strips were near the bottom where they can snag on feet or the broom. Easy fixes.

We ordered ours from the dealer near the factory in Middlebury In. so it was factory fresh when we drove up to pick it up.

I have the Denver mattress in my barn. Agree it was much more comfortable than the typical OEM mattress, but still no match for the Eurotop interspring.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley View Post
Still wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a trailer cover for the WHitehawk 28DSBH?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #14

Whitehawk Covers?

I used an ADCO Tyvek cover on our last trailer which has the same rounded front profile as our White Hawk. Just make sure you cover your gutters with a tennis ball to prevent the cover from tearing. They have slits to lower the bellowing. I will pick up a set for my 28DSBH before November. Check out CW as they typically will have a sale this time of year.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw156 View Post
I used an ADCO Tyvek cover on our last trailer which has the same rounded front profile as our White Hawk. Just make sure you cover your gutters with a tennis ball to prevent the cover from tearing. They have slits to lower the bellowing. I will pick up a set for my 28DSBH before November. Check out CW as they typically will have a sale this time of year.
Thanks so much!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #16

I'm still on the fence about getting a cover. Have read response here and on other forums and most don't use covers and a good % of those who bought one, don't use them. We use our TT for a month trip to Fla in Feb, 4 - 6 outings during the Spring and Fall, and several Mancave overnights when the Grandkids swarm the house. Wife wants a cover for the new WHawk but I just see me fighting to put it on and take it off about a dozen times each year.

Yes or No???
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #17

I think after reviewing all the brands I like Goldline. 6 year warranty, online discount code etc. That being said, im not sure I want the hassle of covering and removing throughout the year. Sometimes I choose to go camping at the last minute and working a cover would be a real chore. There are also time when it rains so much here in S Oregon that we dont camp for about 3 months straight and the cover would be beneficial. Im going to ponder it a bit more.

On another note we leave in about 2 hours to accept delivery of our new White Hwak 30dsre. Now nust need my personal schedule to open up and allow a trip soon.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post

On another note we leave in about 2 hours to accept delivery of our new White Hwak 30dsre. Now nust need my personal schedule to open up and allow a trip soon.
You will make time for that first trip, once you sit in the new WH you won't be able to resist. Don't remember what you've owned before, but important to remember that the WHawk has a lot of trailer in front of the axles. I've found that the trailer tends to drag into the corner requiring a wider turn radius than my previous TT. You've seen the sign on the back of many 18 wheelers that says "this vehicle makes WIDE turns". You will need to do the same.

Enjoy and remember to ask. I may have already faced the same question. No need for you to struggle with the same issues.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #19

Well went ahead and put a Goldline cover on the White Hawk today. Measured my trailer from front to rear ladder and it was 30'4" so I ordered a 30'-32' foot cover. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the 28'-30' foot size. All in all very happy with its quality and ease of use.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #20

I also have a Goldline cover. It's been on the 28DSBH for 2 weeks, so I don't have a strong opinion of it yet.

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote