Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Whitehawk Mod - Been there, done that?

Preparing a mod to our 2016 Whitehawk 27DSRL when it comes out of storage for the season and would like to get my ducks in a row as much as possible beforehand. The shore power cable storage is in the console cabinet between the rear lounge recliners as shown in the pic. My plan is to remove the cord entirely and use a power inlet and detachable cord instead. In doing so, I will have a lot of space available for the other uses in the cabinet which leads to more plans. I am going to add a 2nd power inlet for 15a /120v onto the rear of the trailer as well and cut in a 2 gang box onto the front of the cabinet for a standard receptacle and a USB charging receptacle. This will allow me a 2nd power source from the campground pedestal to run a portable heater, vacuum, etc without overloading the 30a shore power. It also adds a much-needed charging station in that area of the trailer. At the same time, I am going to install a hard-wired Progressive EMS inside the cabinet. Electrically, I've got this handled...it's what I do for a living. My reason for reaching out is on the carpentry side of things. My thoughts are to make the top of the cabinet removable or hinged for future access as I put it back together. I've used rare earth magnets as a viable option in the past when making removable access panels. I've also thought about a piano hinge at the back with a cabinet catch at the front as another option. Any thoughts or opinions? Better ideas? Anybody done a similar mod on a rear lounge unit? And yes, I plan to circle back and share details and pics of the project as it goes along. Others have done such a great job of sharing the end results and progress steps to their projects, I feel like it's my duty to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
rear lounge.jpg  

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Thinking inside the box

SparkDr,

Sounds like a fabulous mod! Shouldn't cost very much, and gives you several convenience features!

The only problem I see is hinging the countertop. If the top abuts the wall, its own thickness will prevent it from opening. You could hinge it on the front, but the overhang would prevent it from opening more than 90*. I like the idea of using magnets, or cabinet catches on both front and back.

I like the way you think!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
SparkDr,

Sounds like a fabulous mod! Shouldn't cost very much, and gives you several convenience features!

The only problem I see is hinging the countertop. If the top abuts the wall, its own thickness will prevent it from opening. You could hinge it on the front, but the overhang would prevent it from opening more than 90*. I like the idea of using magnets, or cabinet catches on both front and back.

I like the way you think!
Great input, Brownie. The countertop does flush out with the back wall of the TT, so my rear hinge idea definitely won't work. Thanks for saving me from myself.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

On our rear living Eagle has a sliding access door on the side of the center console (similar to the access door for your shower or tub only in the matching wood). There is a thin panel inside of mine that can be removed to access our power outlet and receptical on the front of the console. That may be an option instead of dealing with the top.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks, SparkDr.

Our Jay Flight 27RLS floorplan is nearly identical to yours. Like you, I plan to remove the power cord and use a power inlet and detachable cord. Unlike you, I haven't firmed up plans on what to do with the former cord storage, but a hard-wired EMS is the leading candidate for part of it. I do plan to steal your idea of adding a 20amp/120v power inlet in that cabinet (or what remains of that cabinet).

We also plan to remove the two big (too big ) chairs at the rear. One chair, most likely the right rear, we plan to replace with an 'Ikea' chair. The DW has plans for me to build-in some kind of art work area for her on the left rear with room enough to clear the slide.

As my plans firm up and something actually happens, I'll post some pictures of those mods.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) added to our Whitehawk 27DSLR

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...0;src=postname

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Have you considered just relying on gravity to keep the top on? Under our htt front bunk right behind our dinette is a cabinet simular in concept to yours just a lot bigger. When I pulled it apart it had 1x1, attached to the under side of the lid. When we want access we just lift the lid up and out of the way. To make it work I had to remove a few screws and staples. By they way Jayco love using staples. The 1x1s keeps the lid in place from sliding around.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormpod1 View Post
Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management Systems (EMS) added to our Whitehawk 27DSLR

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...0;src=postname
The Blogger link doesn't allow me to access the page for some reason?

Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #9

Corrected link
MOD - Electrical Management Systems (EMS) StormPOD: MOD - Electrical Management Systems (EMS)

Old 02-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
The Blogger link doesn't allow me to access the page for some reason?
MOD - Electrical Management Systems (EMS) StormPOD: MOD - Electrical Management Systems (EMS)