Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #21

Wind chimes - diffrent take

On several brown bear/Sitka deer hunts on Kodiak, we employed METAL wind chimes to deter bears around camp, and based on differing situations, they worked. After hearing a professional guide's opinion on the subject, we experimented. First couple days, we refrained from using the chimes - the bears were in proximity every night. After deploying 2 metallic chime sets very nearby, we could find no new bear sign anywhere near our camp. Certainly we considered other factors, our scent, activity, etc. However, even after taking a couple deer and hanging them in not-too-nearby spruce, we concluded (hopefully correctly) the chime noise was helpful in keeping the bears away. We also found using wooden chimes seemed to draw deer (mostly bucks obviously, but also some doe) to the sound. We surmised the bucks especially were drawn to the sound because it mimicked the sound of clashing antlers! We tried this strategy twice, and all personnel in the hunting party limited out. For all those concerned about using artificial means to attract game, the wooden chimes were no different from antlers "rattlin'". So for all driving the ALCAN, recommend using metal rather than wood.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
Site Team

Wind chimes just add one more reason as to why I do not get a sound sleep each night in the summer. The kids when small, would try to sneak into the bed room in the middle of the night, and they could never figure out how I was able to ask them what they wanted when they reached our bedroom door. Especially since the house was carpeted. A tour of duty will defiantly do that to you. Living in a small city, Harley's with no mufflers going down the streets after the bars close, kids with 300 watt stereo's in their cars joy riding, county police choppers flying above (north/south flight path), dog snoring, Amos the bird grunting. I guess they are all getting back at me from my teen days.

Out of all the NOISES each night, the wind chimes are by far the worst, as they continue to make NOISE all night with the breeze off the gulf, and penetrate closed windows with the AC running. UGHHHHHH!!!!I tend to put on my pilot head-set converted for stereo listening with the relaxation running water in a creek sound (noise to some) and it puts me to sleep.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #23

If there are any small kids in the park, you could get a small baseball bat and tell the kids that the wind chimes are really pinatas.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote