Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #1

X17Z Backup Camera Install X17Z

I brought home my new 2011 Jayco X17Z Saturday, by Sunday I had started the Peak Wireless Backup Camera install.

I used the right rear tail light to access the power connections and allow for a clean wire routing to the camera mounted onto the bumper.

To hide the wire and protect it to some extent, I used a plastic wire track found at homedepot. It has double sided tape and works well for what I was trying to achieve.

The camera transmitting distance works as expected as the camper transmitter and truck mounted receiver are a total of 36 feet apart. The closer I get the two the better the transmitting signal will be.

Attached are some picks of the install. It was about a 2hr install as I took my time to figure things about before cutting into a new camper. One note, the power to the Camera and Transmitter are provided when the vehicle parking lights are turned on.

Thanks
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0425.jpg   IMAG0434.jpg   IMAG0435.jpg   IMAG0436.jpg   IMAG0440.jpg  

IMAG0437.jpg   IMAG0438.jpg  
NissanPro4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Great Job...

I wonder if any one had any luck with the new wireless back-up cams, if so which one did you install and at what price. How does it work?
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Back up cam

My rearview camera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although our 17Z is 'bout 18 ft long, I wanted to be able to see what was going on behind me while driving. So I bought a VR3 wireless Back up camera, ($73 including shipping on Ebay) that mounts on the license plate. I recently tested it in various locations on the rear of our camper to see which position gave me the best view. I'm gonna mount it on the rear of the unit in the center just below the rear bed. I'm not gonna use screws or drill any holes into the skin of the camper, gonna buy some 3M auto adhesive to attach the camera. It weighs just a few ounces. gonna run the wire for the 12V DC into the tail light assembly through the back wall and into the electrical enclosure. Gonna use a wide white auto pinstripe to cover the exposed wires. I have yet to decide on the power source, either wire it into the inverter or just attach it to the park lights. I used the park light idea to temporarily supply power to see which mounting gave me the best view. Also usuing the park light power gives me a 'remote' switch so I can turn the camera on and off from the TV, by usuing the light switch inside the truck, and I wont have to remember to turn off the camera when camping. The color display comes with a cigarette lighter plug and hard wiring, but I will use the plug so the whole thing remains portable.
I will post some pics. For the price and hopefully ease of installation, this seems to fit the bill for me. Any tips or suggestions, or comments will be welcomed.............Shep
2010 17Z
2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab HD Z71 Tow & Trailering PKG 6 Speed tranny.
shepwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

I mounted my Peak camera on the license plate. Great views. I wanted to be able to remove it for winter. Just in case...
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote