Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

x213 dry weight vs Keystone 210rs dry weight

We currently have a Jayco Baja 12E which we LOVE. However, we're looking at the x213, Keystone 210RS and K-Z 220KS in anticipation of landing a summer-long camp host position. (These three rigs are our targets because they are all small and they all have hard-to-find king size beds and bike storage and they all seem to be identical.)

Our biggest worry in going to this model TT (and there are lots of small worries as well) is the extra weight and height that we'll be hauling behind our Toyota 4 Runner.

So, in comparing the x213 to the Keystone, we see that the Keystone is more than 800 pounds heavier dry weight and 2,000 pounds more gross weight if fully loaded.

Now, why, if the units are exactly the same (we've been told they are exactly the same and they certainly LOOK the same) would Jayco be 800 pounds lighter?

Can anyone comment on this?

It makes us wonder if the Jayco weights are incorrect. It also makes us wonder if the weight is not incorrect, if there are safety features being sacrificed?
hrhchuck235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

I can't speak to specifics but I would imagine the difference is made up of various choices in design and materials.

What frame is used.
Type of wood used in various locations.
Appliances & fixtures.
Finish level of everything.

Look under the bed of each of them and compare the differences. (Does the mattress hang off the edge or is it fully supported. What type of wood and supports are being used. )
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

I would guess that maybe Jayco uses more aluminum in the construction as it is lighter and stronger than wood..
As far a Keystone is concerned I will never again buy a product from them.. my 2004 27' Zeppelin had the wall fall off going down the highway.. When we looked at it the wall was attached to the floor with sheet metal screws not lag bolts.. maybe that is how they save weight?!!!
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Yikes!

OK!! No Keystones for us. Thanks for the heads up....
Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #5

I have the x213 for two years, dry is 4200 and GVW is 5500. Although I cannot answer your original question, I can honestly say that this trailer tows extremely well behind my Ram. It is a great trailer.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

We have a 2015 x213. My first question to you would be, what is the tow limit of your Forerunner? what is the max tongue weight? and what is the payload? I ask because I see Forerunner's available at 5000#, 7000# and 2015 models towing 4700# so I have no idea which model you have. That being said, it may not make a difference as they payload seems low and even less on the V8 7000# model.

So, my initial thoughts are, the Forerunner is not the vehicle for this trailer. The problem is the tongue weight. It's frickin' heavy. Nowhere near what their dry tongue weight is advertised at. We packed for camping, and we were pack decently light as we came from a PUP and this was our first trip so we don't have extra TT stuff yet! And we did NOT pack bikes.

The tongue weighed 595 pounds with one partially full propane tank, electric tongue jack, battery and NO spare tire as had removed it trying to get the weight down for the vehicle we originally had when we bought the trailer. There was 20# of bedding on the front bunks, a bag of dirty laundry in the wardrobe, 4 towels hanging on the hooks in the bathroom, kitchen cabinets have 6 Corelle plates and bowls (the cheap plain white stuff), 2 pots, one frying pan, some plastic cups, and some other kitche stuff, nothing too outrageous.

With the trailer completely empty of all our gear, the tongue weight is 518# with just the battery and tongue jack. NO spare tire, and NO propane.

Overall the trailer weight 4900 pounds without bikes. So, that being said, if you have a 4700 pound towing Forerunner, you are out of luck 100%. If you have a 5000 pound Forerunner? You're at your weight limit, and likely over payload. If you have the 7000 pound Forerunner? Well the weight is good, but your likely over payload.

The payload on the 7000 pound Forerunner is 1090 pounds and barely more on the 5000 pound model. 650 pounds at least tongue weight including bikes (and maybe that's low, we haven't had a chance to weigh with bikes, it's -20F with windchill here right now), then you are left with 440 pounds for your entire family AND anything you want to carry in the vehicle. Add up you and your significant other's weights, any kids and see where you get there. How close would you be to payload? And also know that if you have added anything since you got the vehicle from factory, that also takes away from your payload.

ETA: and we bought this trailer hoping we could keep everything just below the limits with our 5000 pound tow capacity SUV and our skinny family. After having it a week and weighing it a zillion different ways we knew there was no safe and comfortable way to tow it with the SUV we had. We are now truck owners. LOL And our truck has just over 1500 pounds payload, and that is really just the bare minimum for what we need but I wanted the extra features the fancy truck had to offer which gave less payload.
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #7

And my above comments aren't even considering you have a tongue weight limit. That may be a limiting factor even before the low payload.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

re: x213 tongue weight on T4R

Silver Escape - Thank you for the math lesson. We have the 7,000 pound T4R BUT, as you calculate - we would be WAY overweight with the x213.

We carry two kayaks, paddles, pfds, fishing gear, two of us human campers, one small dog, my bike, lots of camera gear, books, cooking gear, camp kitchen, provisions for 7-10 days for all those times we're not anywhere near a town or store which is most of the time, coolers, clothes and on and on....we do NOT travel light.

And so, never mind....I guess we're staying with our beloved Baja....

Thank you to all who posted as well.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Check your sticker inside the door of your truck and see what it says the payload of your particular vehicle is from factory. The 1090# I got was for the 2015 and was in Toyota's towing guide, but that's not necessarily the same on all the vehicles. Vehicle options will change that number. Usually the number they post is the max possible payload though, so it's probably unlikely you have more. Can't hurt to check though!

I wonder if the kayaks could fit in the trailer? If they could, you could put those there where you can carry some more weight. And the fishing gear, provisions, etc. Increased weight though means you need a heavier tongue. Let's say you load the trailer and you max it out at 5500#. Then you need a tongue weight of at least 660# to be at 12%. 13% puts you at 715 and I'm guessing you'd be closer to that. Which nows leaves you 375# in the vehicle. So, if you carried nothing but the humans and the dog in the vehicle, maybe? That assumes you don't have a restriction on tongue weight as well.

Again though, you'd have to check your actual payload number on the sticker inside your driver's door to see if it would work. And also take a look at the trailer to see if there was a way to carry the kayak's inside without damaging them or the trailer.
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

X213s definitely seem to be tongue heavy -- ours is coming in a greater than 750# and that is with no water, food, or clothes in the trailer but with full propane tanks and two batteries.
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote