Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

X213 Hot Water tank swap

We are really happy with our X213 and have had it for over 2 years now. The only thing that bugs me is the hot water tank it came with is propane only, and has a pilot light instead of an electric lighting system.
I want to swap it out to a gas, electric DSI unit and am looking for some pointers or install tips, specifically with regards to 110v power supply wiring.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Bump.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #3

Few things... you would also need a few switches as well, to swap between propane and electric options. You would need both of these for safety. Dont want your water heater on if its empty. You would also need to run 12VDC and 110VAC to this heater. DC voltage runs the control and ignition system.. AC tuns the.. well.. AC element. Electrical load on the AC and DC side would increase as well. Much like your leak detector, it would pull constant battery power for the system, both on propane, and AC voltage.

The new heater would come with a wiring diagram. Your original looks like its an Atwood G6A-6, Gas Only, Pilot Ignition (Jayco PN 0017371). Direct replacement is an Atwood, but no model listed, Direct Spark.. NO AC ELECTRIC element (Jayco PN 0178155).. (2012 model).. Atwood upgrade SHOULD work. You may have to get a bit creative on wiring.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

Thought gas/electric water heater was standard in the 213? Ours has the gas/electric with the control switches mounted on the control panel next to the door.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #5

Could be.. don't have the year to go off of as a reference.. so I took a W.A.G.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Its a 2012 model. I suppose it was an easy way of keeping the manufacturing cost down.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote