Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

12V TT Nav lights Dead

On a recent trip south, noticed that my TT nav lights were not working. Fortunately we were 5 minutes from our overnite stop and did the troubleshooting in the Wally World parking lot under their lights. Everything checked out at the TV outlet and no issues with the pigtail so opened the junction box attached to the frame under the front tongue. Was surprised at the # of wires inside with several of the connections with 3 or 4 wires tied together with a wire nut. Didn't figure anything out but the fiddling caused the lites to come on. I tightened several of the twist on wire nuts and closed up the box.

No further problems until 6 weeks later on our trip home. After driving into a heavy fog and steady rain, I again noticed the lites were not working [they checked out ok when we left the CG earlier that am.]. Since all of the lites, tail, brake, side markers were dead, I suspected a problem with the ground, but after cleaning the ground where it was bolted to the frame, the problem was not resolve.

Cutting to the chase, while stopped at a traffic lite, I noticed a large RV dealer lot and made a quick turn into their lot. Most of us have experienced problems getting service without a reservation, BUT after pulling into their lot and stopping near the parts/service office, I ran thru the rain and up to the service counter. Guess I looked desperate and probably like a drowned rat, but the Service mgr tracked down a service tech and both headed out into the rain to check out my rig. These guys were great, the mgr who was willing to help and the tech who had the experience to find and fix the problem. After locating a loose ground wire inside the junction box and securing it to the box with a new crimped connector, the problem was fixed and I was on my way down the road after a 1 hour delay and a $47 service charge. Before leaving I tracked down a very wet service tech and shook his hand. A great service experience by a Dealer I had never met and will likely never see again. Am sending a thankyou letter to the owner of the dealership and make sure he appreciates the fine folks he has out in his service dept.

When the weather clears here I plan to check out all the connections in the junction box as use of twist on wire caps on the front of a Trailer does not seem to be very stable. You might want to check out the junction box on the front of your RV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Bassdogs

Your story made my morning. Thank you.

If you don't mind, why not post the name and location of the RV dealer that helped you. Maybe someone, some day, from this site will be looking for a dealer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

x2 Good service should be acknowledged, IMHO.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

The dealership mentioned in my post was Marlin Ingram RV Center, on Troy Hwy, Montgomery Alabama. They are a high end dealer of Tiffin MHomes and other class A Rv's but took time to help me in my White Hawk TT. If you're in the area and looking for an RV or service, I would highly recommend you knock on their door.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Great story ... There are still a lot of folks out there who care about people and want to do the job right...
Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Team

There are GREAT dealers out there!!! Glad it turned out OK for you.

I had just posted a week or so ago about my 4x4 electrical box issue. Like yours it was STUFFED with wires, so I went to Lowes and got a 4X4 electrical box extension (both sides opened) and mounted it on top of the TT's 4x4 box and now have a lot more room. I also installed a +POSITIVE and a -NEGATIVE terminal post in the box and put wire lugs on those connections, eliminating a few wire nuts.

While I was doing that, 3 wires that terminated in a water proof connector came sliding out. It was the connector for electric brakes/break-away switch. I was a little upset seeing that. So I got the old crimping tool out and re did the wires. The connector that was installed at the factory was barely even compressed. I recommended that EVERYONE open that junction box and check the connections, just to be safe.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote