Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

2006 29fbs electrical issues

So, this is my very first TT. I bought it from an individual who assured me everything worked fine. Well, when I got it back home and hooked it up to a power source, the fridge, microwave and a.c. don't work, and neither do the over head lights [which worked hooked up to the truck]. All the 110 plugs are working. I have power to all the inside breakers, the plugs that that the microwave and fridge are hooked too.. I'm lost :-/ and need help!
Bikerboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

You're missing 12VDC. Those items you mentioned all require 12VDC to operate. Is the house disconnect switch powered up? Is the battery hooked up and fully charged? 12VDC doesn't go through the breakers on the converter distribution panel, but through the fuses. Are all of the fuses good?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

It isn't hooked to the battery up front. And I'm not totally sure where the switch would be. I'm completely new to the TT thing. All fuses are good
I assumed, the microwave, fridge, and air conditioner would run off the 110. I unplugged both, the microwave and the fridge, and the outlets have power but nothing to the actual units.
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but I legit have no idea!

Should The battery up front charge while the trailer Is plugged up to power?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Look for a poor or corroded connection, special the ground connection(s) on the chassis.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

I should add, that when the inverter breaker is on, and the trailer Is hooked to the truck, the overhead lights won't come on BUT they work with the breaker 'off' but the plugs don't.

I'm aiming toward I need to hook the 12v source up front, and up should get power to where im missing it? Does that sound correct?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

Microwave doesn't require the 12VDC from the battery but the fridge and AC need it. If the microwave doesn't work and the outlet has 110VAC, then something is wrong with the microwave.

Your 12VDC disconnect switch could be anywhere around the entry door or the control panel. Not being familiar with the layout of that trailer, I can't help you with location.

Is the house battery hooked up?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

No the battery isn't hooked up. I will hook it up and come back with an answer! Thanks so much!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Just for the heck of it, try plugging the microwave into an extension cord that's plugged into your house. If it works, you know there has to be something going on with the receptacle in the camper.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #9

You are correct the air conditioner and microware require AC power, they should operate if you have power to them, unless possibly they have been hit with some type of surge, the refrigerator will likely run on AC or propane if it is set to auto it should work if it has AC power to it unless it has suffered some sort of surge also, but if it is set to gas mode it will require 12 volt DC to operate same as the water heater it will run on either ac or propane depending on which setting you choose, but be sure it is full of water before turning it on. Lights , bathroom fan, range hood fan, radio, TV 12v outlet, water pump should all work on 12 volt dc power. It is a learning curve for sure, good luck and let us know how you make out.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Site Team

There are fuses on the 12vdc side that are not in the main fuse panel. Look near the battery box for a 30a fuse holder and check that. Also the battery is dead and needs replacing on a lot of used rigs because the previous owner did not maintain it properly.

You may have to pay someone to do some trouble shooting if you have not learned how to yet. A little electrical/ plumbing/gas knowledge goes a long way with a rv and can save you a lot of money.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerboy08 View Post
I should add, that when the inverter breaker is on, and the trailer Is hooked to the truck, the overhead lights won't come on BUT they work with the breaker 'off' but the plugs don't.

I'm aiming toward I need to hook the 12v source up front, and up should get power to where im missing it? Does that sound correct?
Start calling it a "converter" and we will know what you are talking about. An "inverter" is something else.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #12

I have a battery hooked up now. The over headlights and refrigerator lights now work but I don't think it's cooling . Still nothing from the air conditioner or microwave. I would post pictures, but I haven't figured out how.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Fridge takes a long time to cool down. Best to start it up the day before you use it. It could take a bit for the aluminum fins in the back to start to feel cool. If the AC doesn't work yet it could be a thermostat problem. You have to have 12VDC to thermostat for it to work. Just like you need 12VDC to the fridge for it work in any mode including shore power. The circuit board that runs the fridge is powered by 12VDC.

You need to measure the battery voltage. It should be 11.5VDC at minimum. Anything less and the operation of equipment becomes questionable. Battery voltage below 12.0VDC is shortening the life of the battery.