Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

2018 Radio/Nav in Motorized Units

Just found this press release for new radio/nav in 2018 motorized models.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/au...nt-2018-fleet/
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Nice! I prefer Garmin products as I just purchased an RV 760 for navigation. Had an older Garmin that worked fine but wanted an RV specific GPS.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
Just found this press release for new radio/nav in 2018 motorized models.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/au...nt-2018-fleet/
I just picked up a new 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV. There is a lot to like about this unit. I am not sure however about the Garmin all in one system. I have been playing with it for a week now and does some quirky things. It is not very user friendly or intuitive when trying to plan a trip. I have used GPS units for many years, both auto and marine and this is the most counter intuitive unit i have used. I bought several trip planning apps for my I phone to use instead.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

What kinda quirky things? Make sue you update the dock firmware and hub software to the most current versions via Garmin update software.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
What kinda quirky things? Make sue you update the dock firmware and hub software to the most current versions via Garmin update software.
Thanks Jack, first thing I did was update the unit. It drops trip info while trying to plan a multi stop trips, The Bluetooth locks up and wont play devices. took and hour of pushing options to release the bluetooth function, the manual was no help. Still don't know what happened, or specifically what i did to unlockn it. Too many other nits to mention. It's very frustrating compared to the "Inroute" app on my I phone. You would think Garmin would have this down cold by now.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Quirky things...

Quote:
Here's a list of quirky things (all after the dock and tablet were updated):

Ours has locked up for all kinds of different reasons, most notably, using the USB hub on the vehicle panel at all is a no-no.

It loses and freezes when using Bluetooth, then will randomly connect to my phone and start playing music in the middle of the night.

Also it drains the house and chassis battery unless turned all the way off, which is only done by holding the power button for 15+ seconds. You can only tell if the unit is all the way off when the speakers make a loud pop.

The nav system gets "stuck" on a route, and if you change course, it constantly wants you to go back and start over rather than rerouting. It also doesn't have great back-road data for Montana or Oregon, we've found.

The charging dock gets incredibly hot and will freeze up the tablet or make certain options glitchy (volume/zone control, bluetooth controls), presumably from being overheated.

The radio interface is cumbersome and can't move between stations or seek stations easily. I end up using my bluetooth and running the radio from my phone.

The backup camera speaker doesn't work at all, and there isn't any troubleshooting info on this in any manual.
Hockeywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeywolf View Post
Here's a list of quirky things (all after the dock and tablet were updated):

Ours has locked up for all kinds of different reasons, most notably, using the USB hub on the vehicle panel at all is a no-no.

It loses and freezes when using Bluetooth, then will randomly connect to my phone and start playing music in the middle of the night.

Also it drains the house and chassis battery unless turned all the way off, which is only done by holding the power button for 15+ seconds. You can only tell if the unit is all the way off when the speakers make a loud pop.

The nav system gets "stuck" on a route, and if you change course, it constantly wants you to go back and start over rather than rerouting. It also doesn't have great back-road data for Montana or Oregon, we've found.

The charging dock gets incredibly hot and will freeze up the tablet or make certain options glitchy (volume/zone control, bluetooth controls), presumably from being overheated.

The radio interface is cumbersome and can't move between stations or seek stations easily. I end up using my bluetooth and running the radio from my phone.

The backup camera speaker doesn't work at all, and there isn't any troubleshooting info on this in any manual.
Ditto and ditto to all of your complaints. The devise is totally unstable. I expected more from a Garmin product. I have decide not to use it for trip planning. I don't trust it and i understand Jayco did away with this unit in the 2019 models. That says it all.. I will probably rip it out and replace it.