Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

2nd owner - 06 Jay feather 27P floor issues

I'm a new owner of a used LGT 27P which I purchased privately and thought it was a great purchase. Unfortunately my rookie experience in purchasing a TT is REALLY starting to show I brought this home in April and didn't use it until the end of May which I when I started noticing the issues. The first was the street side front storage compartment door, after a heavy rain I noticed that there was water inside the compartment. So I replaced the seal, did a water test and everything seemed to be good. Just recently I had water in the compartment again and this time I was able to see that the door wasn't sealing at the top. A water test this time was as if there wasn't even a seal. After speaking to a local dealer I decided that the best option was to break out the body hammer and carefully adjust the inside lip to ensure that I had a good seal around the entire door. I also chose to extend the rain gutter spouts to keep the water from coming down over the compartment doors. Several water tests later, even with direct pressure I now have a good seal. I then found that the front window was leaking, removed the old foam seal and replaced with butyl tape, proflex on the outside for good measure. So then I thought to myself, if that front door had been like that since 06...a close look at the floor and it's soft about four feet back from the front on the street side, I also found a soft spot under the curb side front window. I now plan on replacing all the window seals, I have re-sealed every exterior seam, and resealed every seam on the roof except for the AC. It looks as though removing the front queen and cabinets isn't too bad of a job but then I don't know what I can do to repair the floor. Based on my research it isn't a typical floor, luan/foam/luan. Can I just replace the top luan? Is this floor repairable? I have contacted Jayco for the specifics about the floor but thought I was ask some experience owners as well.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Martin
Muskyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've never done it before but if I was I would try setting my circular saw to depth of luan.
Cut out the luan and try to get it apart from foam board.
If I needed to, I would use Epoxy or leveling mix to level the foam damage vefore gluing in a new piece of luan.
Once everything was level, I would install a new vinyl floor or laminate

JMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

First congratulations on your first TT!

The window seals should be looked at every year, and on many TTs they should be replaced or caulked every few years.

As for the floor, I wish I could be some help. My dad many years ago, replaced the floor in the rear of their TT. He released the walls from the floor and lifted the back end up, cut out the floor and replaced it. But I do not believe it was a composite construction. He determined his was from the water heater not being caulked correctly when manufactured.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF Martin! Wow, sounds like with your DIY ability you might have been the perfect new owner to your tired 'new' tt.

So more of the techy sorta members can your questions, I've moved this to the tech talk forum. Happy renovating
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Thanks for your help! I think the circular saw should work quite well. I received the floor specs from Jayco which will help a lot. It looks like there are a few 2x3's that run across to each wall, I might add a couple more to help support things up front. I'm currently at a site and it's just pouring outside, so far all my recent work is holding up! Thanks again

Martin
Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #6

There is several posts with pictures of guys who repaired floor soft spots in the floor on Jay feathers. It seems that after several years a lot of them developed this problem. Some repaired them the way Doug suggested. I added another cross member in an area that that was around four feet without support. It hadn't had a problem yet but knew down the road it probably would. I guess it depends on what you find out what's wrong. Good luck.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

The time has come to start this project. I began removing the cabinets last night however I have run into a bit of a problem. I have removed all the screws and removed the staples that attach the cabinet to the bed frame and removed the staples that attach the cabinet to the front wall however I still can't remove the cabinet. There is something at the front holding it along the front wall however I can't find anymore staples or screws..any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #8

I bet they used construction adhesive.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

It took me far too long to figure out that the front cabinets were screwed to the half wall(against the front wall) prior to the front wall being installed. I'm not sure how to remove these without causing significant damage to the cabinets. Does anyone know of a way that I can remove the cabinets without removing the front of the trailer?

The only idea that I can come up with is to cut the front panel from side to side in the front storage compartment which should grant me access to the screws which hold the wall in place. Once removed I figure that I should be able to slide the wall forward far enough to unscrew the cabinets.