Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

'99 Eagle 242 (gray?) water on carpet outside of bathroom after a shower

Well the title pretty much says it all. The 242 has a raised bathroom floor (about 4-6 inches higher than the rest of the camper) and inside the bathroom the toilet sits on another raised section maybe 8 inches tall. There are 2 inspection panels (one behind the faucet=dry as a cork) and the other behind the P trap at the shower drain (also dry as a cork). I suspect that the drian pipe is broken under the raised floor because the carpet is wet just outside the bathroom and near the sink, but yet in the bathroom it is completey dry. Does anyone know how to access the plumbing under the floor with out completey tearing apart the camper? Other than a minor vent leak in the bathroom (that seems to have stopped leaking after I caulked it) this is the first time I have noticed any water problems since we have bought it 3 and a half years ago, but this is also the first time we have lived in the camper ( we have been living in it for 3 weeks now since our house has sold ) Any Ideas would be great, Thank you, Dave

Note: I can see the p trap and I can also see where the pipe exits the bathroom to the gray water tank and both ends are completely dry, its somewhere in between it must be leaking, I just cant see it. The only other thing is maybe I need to caulk the tub where the shower wall meets? Thanks again, Dave
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Well, I had time this weekend to take it somewhat apart. I pulled up the carpet and pulled up the top board from the raised section. Unfortunitly, there were no real signs of water leakage under there, infact, the carpet still had the plastic on it and was completely dry. I caulked around the top of the enclosure where water could run down the wall from spashing off of me, and I also caulked around the base of the enclosure. I also tightend the hose clamps where the front sink and rear shower and sink connect in a corner cabnet near where the water was getting onto the floor (although I couldn't tell if it was leaking or not). I have not used the shower in the camper since this past Thursday so I think after letting the caulk dry since Saturday, I will try it tonight. I will post in a few days if the problem does not come back. If you have any other ideas, please let me know, Thanks, Dave
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

Not sure of your layout but on ours I put a little triangle splash guard to prevent the water from the shower from running down the outside corner. First time out with this camper I had to keep a towel on the floor to soak up the water. It was a new experience because our previous camper had a sliding accordion shower door that was well sealed. I got the triangle at a True Value in PA.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Well, I have used the shower twice now and it seems that the floor is not getting wet anymore :-) I like the triangle idea, but I ran a bead of caulk from the outside edge on both ends at a 45 degree angle back into the tub to redirect any water back into it instand of running down the side, and I havent noticed any pooling in that area. You talk about the layout of the 242, its very difficult to find any info on them on the net. I have googled and only come up with a handfull of info. Thanks for the reply Steve!