Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

A/C annoyances

My Swift SLX 145RB has a small window air conditioner mounted through the cabinetry and is flush with the outside wall. It appears that the "outside" portion pulls air in through a roof vent and exhausts it out the back of the unit.

Annoyance 1: There is ~ 1/4 inch gap on one side of the unit and ~ 1/8 inch on the other side between the unit and the cabinet. I can see right through to the "outside" portion. I added weatherstripping to seal the gaps. There's also a several inch hole into the adjacent cabinet for the AC cord to reach a 110V outlet. I covered this with duct tape after pushing the excess cord back into the space next to the unit.

Annoyance 2: There is an air filter on the front of the unit. This removes for cleaning by sliding it out to the right. Unfortunately the front wall cabinets are right there. There are a couple of screws that, I believe, will release the entire front panel. Failing that maybe I can vacuum off the filter through the front panel.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #2

It's essentially a small residential Samsung AC from what Ive seen. They work well and seem like a great idea in my mind for a small trailer. I think your right about the filter. I bought one last year and I'm sure you won't have a problem with it. Just make sure that the AC can drain away from the trailer. Have that side of the trailer lower when your leveling it. If it ever packs it in, you can buy another one for just over a hundred dollars.
It may be simple but in 100 degree weather you will be happy to have it.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #3

Mine is a Danby, although I might feel better about it if at least was a brand I had heard of. Oh well.

I contacted Jayco about removing the filter. They claim it's flexible enough that it can be bent the 90 degrees as it's being removed / inserted. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

How do there units drain to the outside?

Does anyone know exactly how the drain works in these air conditioner units? They appear to have a pan under them, but I haven't seen any evidence of a pipe or tube that would drain the pan itself. I've only used the trailer a couple of times, and noticed water dripping from the bottom corner of the trailer below the air unit, which tells me I have that corner lower as it should be. I checked from the inside (you can access the storage area that sits below the air conditioner by removing the seat cushions and plywood) and did not any evidence of water is draining down the interior of the wall.

Naturally, my preference is for the water to drain out the back of the unit. A local dealer told me a drain kit is also available for these window-type units, but I don't know what is included with it.

I bought the trailer from the person who bought it new, so I'm still trying to learn everything about it.

Very glad to find this forum.
drlaney22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #5

I did verify that that the filter and it's frame can be bent enough to remove it.