Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

A/C Gurgling.. failure imminent?

Don noticed the a/c was making a weird noise when we fired it up Saturday for the first time in awhile.

Outside, it sorta sounds like a garbage disposal when you turn it on without water running and there is a tiny little piece of something that is bouncing around in the blades. Very subtle clicking type sound.

Inside, when the a/c cycles off, there is a gurgling type sound you hear.

Anyone experience this or know what it means? We're hoping it's no big deal. We're heading to triple digit weather this weekend. So we will definitely need the a/c!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #2

I have heard a gurgling type sound when it cycles off as the pressures start to equalize again so I assume that is ok. Wonder if a piece of your fan blade broke off, but kind of doubt it as I would think that would be much more noisy? Could it be some type of insect or acorn maybe?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Some times, this can be an indication of the coolant being low. But, a little gurgling is normal, especially if it has not been run in awhile. It will not hurt it to run with low coolant, but would mean it doesn't cool as much as it used to. I suspect there's nothing wrong, just needs to be run for a while to equalize to the normal coolant vapour vs liquid cycle.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

It's been running non-stop today (running pretty much for about three days now), so can't confirm the gurgle. But I just went up the ladder and the sound up on the roof is still clicking away; steadily.

Don just reminded me that he tightened down the a/c bolts per the "Recall" Forum. He's wondering if this could be causing it somehow although he can't see how it would.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

A metalic "clicking" or "buzing" sound, is a sign of worn out contactor. This is basically a large relay. Those earwigs you talked about have been known to get into the contactor contacts causing it to arc and be damaged. Running with this condition is not an immediate concern, just noisy.

May not have been the earwigs.........but they have that habbit.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

Early next week we will be camping down the street from a Jayco Dealer. We'll have to see if they want to check the coolant. I'm guessing that's not a warranty issue.

Earrwigs! That would suck, but at least it would be an easy fix? Don said he will wait til in the morning when it's cooler and get on the roof to take the cover off the a/c to see how things look. So if it is arc'ed and damaged, is it just a matter of replacing wires? I'm guessing this also wouldn't fall under warranty?

So, just now, we turned off the a/c. It didn't really gurgle this time. It sorta made a noise like the fan blades might be hitting something. It is cooling ok otherwise.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

If it's contactor buzzing noise you hear, then the contactor would need to be replaced. Normally, contactor replacement is covered under warranty. Mine was for my house A/C.

For the coolant to be low, there would need to be a slow leak. I think that would be covered under warranty also.

Keep in mind, A/C units make noise during normal operating. If there is excessive noise, then the above descriptions apply. A trained ear can tell the difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Ahhhh, those dreaded earwigs are back in vogue!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

The sound is normal. It's just the pressures equalizing in the unit. The other noise is probably part of a mud-dauber nest that broke loose and is bouncing around in the squirrel cage. If it was a broken fan blade or fin, that would create a serious inbalance and you would be experiencing a very noticeable vibration.
As far as checking freon, short of tapping into a copper line and checking pressures, there's no way to do it, and once you do that, then you have to fix the hole you created, evacuate it and recharge. These ACs only hold a lb or so of freon, so if yougot a leak, you would loose the entire charge pretty quickly. If it's blowing cold air, you're OK. Go have a cool one.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #10

Wonder if it is possible you tightened the bolts too tight and it is causing the fan to rub against part of the housing? I kind of doubt that...but stranger things have happened. My bet is that some debris has gotten in there....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what he finds after he takes a peek up there tomorrow morning
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Wonder if it is possible you tightened the bolts too tight and it is causing the fan to rub against part of the housing? I kind of doubt that...but stranger things have happened. My bet is that some debris has gotten in there....
Thats what I was thinking. I just couldnt find a way to explain it so eloquently.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #13

Btw, how is that AC holding up in our wonderful AZ dry heat, Healthi?

There is a possibility I may be "stranded" here in San Marcos, CA, until after the holiday weekend. I've been getting some dental work done out here (I know the dentist and his assistant is a very dear, close friend of mine; she and her family have been putting up with me...er...putting me up when I've been out here) and my friend just came home from work a little while ago saying not only did the partials they have been fitting me for came in early for another fitting, they may be able to get the final ones in on Tuesday next week and she is insisting I stay over if they will so I won't have to drive back and forth.

Believe me, I really hate to be missing out on all that wonderful dry AZ heat (ok, don't believe me).
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
I have worked on a lot of camper AC units over the years (side job hobby of mine, hey I gotta pay for camping somehow) and I would guess that you have a piece of debris contacting your fan blade or when you tightened the AC bolts down you put it in a bind and the fan shroud is hitting the fan. That's where I would start at least.
certified106 is offline   Reply With Quote