Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

A couple ?'s about electrical wiring

I was checking out the distribution panel and converter yesterday in my GH31SS, and came across some electrical wires that raised some ?'s for me.

I found a black wire, probably 6-8awg just laying in between the black box w/ the label LPT30 and the converter, and the black wire has the orange tape on it. The end of the wire has copper strands exposed like something was going to be connected (ring connector) but the wire is just laying in the compartment. The black wire leads over to several wires that come from the distribution panel and then goes thru a hole in the floor.

Any idea's as to what this wire is supposed to do. It looks like a main ground wire for one of the systems, but my lack of experience/knowledge with MH's is the reason for the post.

Second ? deals with the black & white wires I found just laying in the same compartment with the wire above (closed off area under the bed for the backside of the distribution panel/ and the converter)

Third ? is:
what are these white boxes that look like receptacles mounted upside down?

Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

Could be for an option that you didn't get. Do you have the inverter?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

I agree with GRumpy , have u checked the black and white wires to see if voltage present because they definatly look cut by a tool of some kind
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #4

No inverter found, just the black box labeled as shown and the Iota DLS 45 in this "compartment" which is the back side of the DP and it's wiring. I had to remove some screws in the cover to gain access to this area which is under the bed.

No I have not checked to see if any of the wires in ? are carrying current. I think the large black wire with orange tape on it is a 12v ground wire based on size and appearance but since it disappears to the underside of the MH thru a hole in the floor, I haven't tried to trace it due to weather (rain).

Have had been on one trip in the GH, and everything worked that trip, no funny smells or electrical issues of any type. I'm thinking the wiring is for options not installed but feel the wires should have wire nuts on the ends to prevent any accidental shorts/arcing, etc. when in transit.
Equalizer WDH
Old 08-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #5

*Usually* black in the RV world would be the HOT wire, and white would be ground. I would check that black wire to see if it has current to it. Is that LPT30 a transfer switch of some sort? Maybe that black wire is for an indicator and is supposed to be hooked up inside following that white wire?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

The black box is the transfer switch. The extra wires probably run to the battery compartment and would feed the inverter if one was ordered when the coach was built that was why I ask. They will not have any voltage on them or at least they shouldn't. The wiring harnesses are usually all the same for that series of RV and there are extra wires for all the various options.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

Does the inverter feed into the transfer switch as well?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

No. The inverter would have wires coming from the battery as well as to and from the breaker panel(standard 110v wiring either white or yellow). As I said there may be other options that were available that the coach is pre-wired for. If everything is working and the wire in question has no voltage on it I wouldn't worry about it. JMHO
Old 08-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
*Usually* black in the RV world would be the HOT wire, and white would be ground. I would check that black wire to see if it has current to it. Is that LPT30 a transfer switch of some sort? Maybe that black wire is for an indicator and is supposed to be hooked up inside following that white wire?
Which black wire are you referring to, the black wire laying in between the black box (LPT30) with orange on it or the one bundled up with the white wire??

So the black box (LPT30) is the auto transfer switch between shore power and the generator correct??
Equalizer WDH
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The black box is the transfer switch. The extra wires probably run to the battery compartment and would feed the inverter if one was ordered when the coach was built that was why I ask. They will not have any voltage on them or at least they shouldn't. The wiring harnesses are usually all the same for that series of RV and there are extra wires for all the various options.
Is there any way to tell "who" made the auto xfer switch, since Iota had a recall on theirs, not all that interested in having theirs in my MH unless it's been replaced, etc.
Equalizer WDH
Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

The black with the orange on it. The others are not a big concern since they're not striped, but the black with orange just looks like it should be connected to something.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
The black with the orange on it. The others are not a big concern since they're not striped, but the black with orange just looks like it should be connected to something.
I agree, it looks like it was prepped for use, but not for some reason.
Equalizer WDH
Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #13

30 AMP TRANSFER SWITCH 120 VAC

Complete Name: Lyght Power Systems Transfer Switches

Brief Information: 30 AMP Transfer Switch

Complete Overview:

Automatically switches from power cord to generator simply by starting the generator.Heavy duty relay assembly will handle 30 amp power cord and up to 4.5KW generator.Dependable switching-transfers both hot and neutral legs by heavy duty DPDT relay.Automatic inverter applications-compatable for inverter load sensing circuitry, allow inverter to operate in stand-by mode without unneccessary battery drain.Built-in time delay allows generator to get up to speed.Quick and easy installation.Designed for OEM and aftermarket applications.The LPT 30 is intended for usage as an electrical transfer switch to automatically switch multiple sources (from one to another), i.e. switching from shoreline to generator power or switching from electronic inverter to shoreline/generator.

The LPT 30 is primarily designed for installation in conjunction with a generator having a rated output of not larger than 4.5KW, an external power cord having a rated output of not larger than 1200VAC, 30A, 1PH, 60Hz and an electronic inverter having a rated output of not larger than 3600 watts.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #14

UPDATE

Opened up the black box labeled LPT30 and it is the auto switch as Grumpy stated (thanks Grumpy) according to the labels inside the box. I have no way of knowing if the rig had a Iota 30a auto switch when built but I don't have one now, so that is the important thing.

I traced the black wire with orange tape on it and it dead ends with the white & black wires in picture 2. I taped up the ends of the all the wires, the black one is not attached to anything on either end, and the white wire goes somewhere under the floor, and I taped up the end of it as well, just to be on the safe side. thanks to all for suggestions and help.
Equalizer WDH