Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #21

M & A,
THANK YOU.
Excellent report. Since we boondock on a regular basis, I am definitely getting one.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Wow! Went from 44.4 starting amps to 16.9. Really too hot on my Orlando roof today to play with better measurement gear, and I'm sure my current probe wasn't catching peaks too well but I am really impressed.

The big test was with my generator - echo mode is amazing. It revs just a little when the compressor kicks in and settles just above idle.

I've also noted that now I can't tell when the compressor comes on from inside. Before it was announced by a brief drop in the fan speed and now that doesn't occur. It was annoying at night since I'm a very light sleeper.
What generater were up using?
Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #23

AC Hard Start Capacitor

I just installed a micro air on my 13,500watt Coleman rooftop unit. It didn't check the amp draw, but it runs like a champ on my Honda 2000

http://s561.photobucket.com/user/tra...r1rfe.mp4.html
SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #24
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
What generater were up using?
Boliy QBlue 3700.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #25

Unless I'm missing something, these things are over $300. Cheaper than a 2nd Honda but I want to see more market reviews by someone other than the manufacturer.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Unless I'm missing something, these things are over $300. Cheaper than a 2nd Honda but I want to see more market reviews by someone other than the manufacturer.

I'm actually surprised there's not more people using them. $300+ is a lot of money for one of these but I figured it was worth it to be completely off grid capable with only one 2000w generator. And like you said, cheaper than an additional generator.

It took me one hour to install mine. I watched the video the manufacturer had, which was the same AC unit I was working on, so was pretty straight forward.
SICARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #27
M&A

Thought I'd update on how the Micro-Air has been working for us - very well!

Did 10 days recently, not on generator but on very remote campground power. My favorite thing is this case is not having the fan speed drop momentarily when the compressor kicks in. Footnote: Someday a bigger TT with ducted air...

I might explore disabling (just a jumper) the 5 minute restart feature since now when the compressor turns off, it will not start again util that time has lapsed. My 13.5 seems to want to restart at about 3 minutes when really hot out. 5 minutes seems to be a little long and my perception is that it gets a little warmer between cycles. But it might run longer further reducing humidity so not sure yet.

I can say (I like to play) that my EU1000i will not run the AC even with the Micro-Air. Had to try. Cool thing is that the Micro-Air cut power to the compressor so quickly that the Honda didn't even flash overload and it kept purring happily. Makes me wonder if two in parallel would run my setup. Two 29 pound generators would be sweet.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #28

Got my Micro-Air and it took me about an hour to install. Watching the online videos helped and the instructions were simple.

Per the instructions, I hooked up to shore power and did the customary 5-6 start ups that way.
On the 7th start up, I disconnected from shore power, Got out my Yamaha EF2000iS ( I have 2 but only used 1 for this test), Got my 30 Amp Female to 15 Amp Male RV Pigtail Power Adapter, plugged it into the 15/20 amp 120 Volt socket on the generator, Started the generator, Turned in to ECO mode and it was just putting along quietly. Had one of my kids go into the trailer and turn on the AC, (Fan on HIGH) The generator spooled up a little, then went to fast mode and then after a few seconds, settled down at about 1/2 speed. Green light never even flickered. Red overload light never even came on at all. Temperature outside was 95 degrees. I did this several more times with the same results. Left the generator running in ECO mode and what ever power was demanded, it would speed up accordingly, for about 1 hour. Checked the trailer in about 1/2 hour and it was starting to cool down inside. 95 degrees outside and directly in the sun.

Micro-Air worked as advertised. VERY HAPPY WITH IT!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #29

I wish people would say how big their A/C is for this kind of thing.

My Yamaha 2400 would start my older 13k A/C unit. It grunted when it did it, but it was fine running all day on 95F days.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote