Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
AC Thermostat question

Just purchased a 2007 Jayco Eagle.

The original 2007 Ac works OK but thermostat does not. (In that the AC blows cold and does not shut off at desired temperature.) Will it be possible to:

1. Install a new wall thermostat?

2. If so- can I upgrade to a digital thermostat?

I will upload model number later...

I'm a truck camper girl, so this TT is all new territory.

BTW- I bought a Jayco in part, because every Jayco owner I've ever met had nothing but good things to say about their rigs!

zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Congratulations on your "new-2-u" Eagle, and welcome to The Forum!

I'm certainly no expert on thermostats, but I did replace the one in my "stick-n-bricks". It was pretty simple. Typical trailer thermostats aren't terribly accurate - for either heating or cooling. They tend to allow for wide swings in temps before turning on/off. Several Forum members have replaced their thermostats with digital ones. Some have gone without a hitch, others . . . not so much. Those that have had the most success have used the digital thermostat made by their A.C. manufacturer. The wiring seems to be a little easier going that way. You may want to do a subject search, here, on "thermostat replacement" to gain a little more insight. I'm sure others with hands-on experience will chime in soon with more recommendations.

Hope you enjoy your new trailer. Please keep us posted (with pictures) about your adventures with mods and with camping.

2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
We put a digital in... and then removed it again and went back to a standard thermostat. That was because it was a parasitic drain on the batteries when in storage. When the camper batteries went dead, then the thermostat was running on it's internal battery till that went dead. Then the thing had to be re-programmed... the original thermostat is completely maintenance free. No batteries, no programming.
The Logan's
2016 Redhawk 26XD
Me, Dear Wife,
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Looking at my basic (standard) thermostat and the wiring diagram, the only issue that I see would be the selection of the FAN speed. Normal digital thermostats do not have this option. But that is not to say that you could not mount a small external DPDT toggle switch on the side of the new digital thermostat (Low/High speed) to handle that lacking function.

I am sure that someone here has already made a modification of this type already.

You could also add an main toggle switch to turn on/off the use of the thermostat for storage.

Just my thoughts,
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Coincidentally just last evening I purchased a used digital RV (2 speed fan) thermostat, for $25 (+ $8 S&H). This morning when I reviewed this purchase I find the ebay seller has posted another one - with the same option to "make an offer". I suggest giving him a try.

My original purchase here: RV Coleman Mach Thermostat RV Comfort HC Black | eBay

Notice along the top it says "The seller has relisted this item or one like this." Click on it and see if he'll accept your bid.

EDIT: I now find that you can go directly there by clicking the above blue "relisted this item". Then if interested, make an offer.

The first 2 white pics are my original (inaccurate) stat; the 2 black pics are what I've purchased. The original stat uses 6 wires soldered onto the board; I will snip them off then connect to the new stat wires using electrical nuts, matching color for color. I will post results next week once received.
Attached Thumbnails
20150316_161658.jpg   20150316_161713.jpg   AR7853-1.jpg   AR7853-2.jpg  
2008 Jayco Eagle SuperLite 29.5
2014 F250 6.7 PSD 4X4, CC LB
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
I replaced the standard Coleman-Mach thermostat with another brand digital one bought at one of the Big Box stores and had problems trying to match up the wiring so it never worked exactly right. I trashed that one and bought the digital Coleman-Mach thermostat (just like Wrascal has, only white in color) and the wires matched up perfectly. it does not operate on separate (AAA or AA) batteries so it does draw a small amount of power from the house battery but not so much that I have noticed. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the new thermostat.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
I replaced our oem with a digital and it works great. Look (or search ) the mods section for help.
On our last rv I did install the switch that Mustang65 describes, and the hardest part of that was finding a toggle we liked that wasn't just on/off. Got one on amazon.
The downside of power draw is real, but the upside of not having AA batteries is a plus.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
we've got 2 similar to what wrascal has installed. No battery in ours. One is AC only and the other is AC-Furnace. There are several things in your TT that will be potential parasitic battery drains (stereo, CO/Propane detector, Micro). Install a battery disconnect switch or pull the battery fuse to be sure.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Site Team
Hey Wrascal thanks for the link. I ordered one today.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
You know, I've had thermostats with batteries in the for years, and a set seems to last for over a year. Making them a part of your annual/bi-annual smoked detector battery replacement routine, you never have any thermostat problems.

Just don't want battery powered thermostats to be totally ruled out of the possibilities.

With Irish Cheeeer,

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2007, air, eagle, thermostat