Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Adding more Solar

Hi
I have a 2015 jayco silverline, and have 2x150w solar panels on the roof, I want to put more panels on the roof
Do I need to keep it balanced by adding only 150w panels.
What is the max wattage I can place on the roof,using setec 35-ll
Can I just splice into the existing manufacturer wiring,will it handle the wattage.
What type panel do I use mono or crystal, the ones I have now are black.
Thanks for your advice
Regards Tony.
Tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyp View Post
Hi
I have a 2015 jayco silverline, and have 2x150w solar panels on the roof, I want to put more panels on the roof
Do I need to keep it balanced by adding only 150w panels.
What is the max wattage I can place on the roof,using setec 35-ll
Can I just splice into the existing manufacturer wiring,will it handle the wattage.
What type panel do I use mono or crystal, the ones I have now are black.
Thanks for your advice
Regards Tony.
When adding SOLAR to an existing setup, it is best to add the same SOLAR panels that you already have (same wattage, same voltage, same mfr, model). The most important thing to remember is that all the panels need to be the same voltage, you can not mix and match panel voltages on the same SOLAR Charge Controller. (There are 17, 24, 36, 72 volt models). Although, you could add a second SOLAR charge controller to handle panels of a different voltage. The SOLAR charge controller you have will have specifications regarding MAX wattage and MAX voltage. An example is my SOLAR Charge Controller, Morningstar MPPT 60. It will allow 150Volts of SOLAR panel output and a max 60 Amps (800 watts). You will need to look up your SOLAR charge controller to see what it can handle. The wiring is another important part of the setup. No you SHOULD not splice into the existing setup. They should be in a combiner box that is designed for connecting multiple panels together. The TT's prewire is not designed to carry a lot of amps, so you will need to see what your TT is prewired with and calculate if the AWG is large enough to carry your panel output.

Check out RVing with SOLAR for additional reading on batteries, SOLAR controllers, member installations

Good luck, and don't cut any corners

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote