Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Advice on running camera wires in a 23B

Ever since we brought it home I've wanted to install a backup camera on our 2015 23B. I ordered all the parts from Amazon last night and now I'm ready to start thinking about the installation. I think the hardest part will be solidly mounting the camera and running the wires. Is there anyone here who has done this and has some guidance for me? I'd like to mount the camera above the center marker light and I know that somewhere the wiring for that light goes all the way to the front of the trailer but I'm not sure if any of it is accesible. I'll probably start carefully removing some of the interior trim this weekend to see what I can see but I thought I'd ask as well.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Well my grand son and I just did a wired back up camera install on my trailer and this is the way we did it.

We mounted the Camera above center light using light as a stop for camera bracket.

I put masking tape across area where bracket would go marked where the holes needed to be for bracket. (Masking tape helps stop the fiberglass from cracking)

I then drilled two #7 drill holes thru back of camper where marked. then tapped the holes with 1/4-20 tap. Used two 1/4-20 bolts with silicone on threads to mount camera.

I ran the camera wire straight up short distance to top of camper. Carefully removed plastic trim from channel and cut a small slot the size of camera wire ran the wire inside plastic trim to the corner.

Then cut another slot in plastic trim at this point attached the cable that runs to TV.

Added two small plastic clamps to both camera cables. Then cut another small slot in the plastic trim and inserted wire running down to bottom of trailer.

The only thing that is exposed at corner is the connection I made connection then installed provided rubber boot. I also used die electric grease on connections. Also used a short piece of heat shrink over connection.

Ran the wire along and inside existing wire bundles under the trailer to the tongue.

Mounted the connection to the front of my Aluminum battery box. Placing extra wire zip tied inside box.

Then mounted the Connection provided in the bumper of truck and ran wiring under and inside the truck to the monitor.

So I am also going to install a cheap camera to point at the hitch to help with hooking and unhooking trailer.

The camera also has a microphone so I can hear DW while backing up.

Well this is the what I did I am very pleased the camera works great going down the road and also for backing up into spot.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I hadn't considered running the wires outside the trailer. That would certainly make things easier as long as you could make it look nice.

One question, you say you drilled and tapped threads for the camera bolts. Is there enough structure back there for the threads to grab on to? I was under the impression that under the thin skin of the trailer there was just foam.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 AM   #4

Howling

Well the walls are thin but from what I read using tapped holes and screws is much stronger then regular screws in fiberglass.

You could drill all the way through to the inside and attach nuts and washers. On my trailer there are cabinets inside behind I just opted to not do that. (if I have to later it is always an option)
`
The way I did it with the bracket resting on the top of the light also gives it something to sit on and no pressure on the screws. All they have to do is hold the camera to the wall.

I have gone about 500-600 miles and I have checked the camera no movement still solid as it was when I installed it.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Site Team

I had a few things that needed to go from the rear of the TT to the front of the TT so I ran in few lengths of PVC (had extra in the shed) the length of the TT. I attached it to the TT's frame. I have a string in it that goes the length inside and returns on the outside (loop)which I use as a fish in case I need to pull another wire through it. I have the Rear View camera cat5, the WiFi Extender cat5 and a ROMEX 12-3 cable from the inverter (front storage) to the Rear storage compartment.

If you go to my profile, and click on WiFi you will see how I mounted my rear view camera on the ladder supports

Keeps things out of the weather

Sorry about the quality of the picture

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL - PVC Run under TT.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote