Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Cool Affordable Pex crimper

Many of us from time to time need to make repairs or modifications to the Pex plumbing in our RV's.
If you haven't looked yet, while you'll find the Pex crimp rings are pretty cheap, the tool or crimper for squeezing the rings, usually are obscenely priced. Some Rex crimp tools available at Lowes, Menards, etc cost nearly a hundred bucks or more.

When I was going to add a "T" to my main water line just downstream from the water pump for an accumulator tank, I was having trouble locating a sensibly priced Pex ring crimping tool.

After doing some looking, I hit pay dirt. I found this little critter and now have it in my toolbox.

Pex Pocket Crimper

It's simple to use. Just put it position on the tube with the crimp ring, and squeeze the end with a vice grips or big channel locks.
You can also get a go/no-go gauge that will tell you if your ring is crimped enough or not.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

Thanks for the link!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Team

I bought one a year ago. It is slow but does the job for those infrequent repair jobs. I saw one in Lowes today. Less than $30 bucks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

I believe the tool above is for pex rings. My trailer, a 2011 Jayco 28.5RLS uses pex clamps, like these clamps. Just be sure to get the tools and supplies for whatever pex fasteners your trailer uses.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

The crimp style pex rings are another way of doing the same job. The pex clamps probably go on quicker in a production line environment. But they too require a special tool which also costs a lot of money, $94 to $140, too much for the occasional user.

Looking at the previously mentioned web site, I did notice that they also have the cheap-o pex ring crimper for $24.

Pex rings or clamps are two different methods of doing the same thing. It's like using a ratchet & socket or a box end wrench to remove a bolt, two different tools that will do the same job.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

I picked up an Apollo PEX crimper...the kind that look like a small pair of bolt cutters...at Menards for less than $30 and it will do 1/2"-1" clamp style rings just like the ones on the 23B. I bought it to install my captive air tank on the water system. Now myself and my family will never have to purchase one again.