Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Anyone ever replace flooring in their Jayco?

Found an older 23 Kiwi Hybrid that clearly has some serious floor damage in the rear extending under the cabinets. Price is a steal, but not sure how much we would have to put in to fix/replace the damaged floor. Anyone ever tackle something like this before?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
A trailer is just like LEGO so everything is unscrew able. If you are a handy with tools and have some insight on construction then see if you can remove the cabinets. In some cases you can redo with laminate flooring. Alure is a vinyl laminate for heavy traffic and if you bring in dirt. Wood laminate looks good too and has a thickness up to 1/2 " or even thicker. Good Luck with your project.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #3

You said you found an older one, did you buy it yet? If the price is a steal there might be a good reason for its price. The wood rot didn't start in the hallway so this means those cabinets will need to be removed to fix that floor correctly. If you haven't taken on this type of project before on a TT you might think twice before you toss good money after bad. You have cabinets to be removed along with a bath wall plus ( I bet ) bath sink and toilet so you just added a plumbing project into this repair.
If this is a LEGO project and it's all unscrew able then show me a pic of those screws on the bathroom wall just for starters.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #4

Pics, lots of pics!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
Found an older 23 Kiwi Hybrid that clearly has some serious floor damage in the rear extending under the cabinets. Price is a steal, but not sure how much we would have to put in to fix/replace the damaged floor. Anyone ever tackle something like this before?

It depends upon how picky you are. We bought a 23b with water damage as is from a dealer. It wasn't a steal. We did repair it and get it to a point where it is fine to use. We didn't remove cabinets to replace the flooring.

If you own the trailer just take a razor knife and cut the area you show loose. The OEM vinyl is loose layed (no glue). Fold it back and inspect. I had similar damage showing in mine. I opened it up and let it dry. It was/is a little bit spongy, but hasn't gotten wet since and hasn't gotten any worse.

We removed and replaced the main vinyl floor covering with a remnant. No glue. No cabinet removal. In fact the piece was a bit short so in the hallway you show we just use a throw rug. In that low traffic area it is more comfortable on our feet and lets me inspect easily for signs of water.

Likely the leaks are from the roof, outside lights, or possibly the wheel wells.

Some info is here.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ing-12681.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ort-12743.html

I think that this search link should get you to some more information.
Jayco RV Owners Forum - Search Results

If you are handy with tools and solutions a trailer with water damage can be brought back to usable service without full dismantling. Just realize that there can be a bunch of damage uncovered as you dig into things. We love our 23b.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Just to clarify we have not bought it. I wanted to find out how in depth and how expensive of a project this could be before making a decision. Just found out it also has soft ceiling above the door, so this may not be for me.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Just to clarify we have not bought it. I wanted to find out how in depth and how expensive of a project this could be before making a decision. Just found out it also has soft ceiling above the door, so this may not be for me.
"soft ceiling above the door"

You've already spotted 2 issues. How many more are waiting to be found?

The wise choice is to walk away.

If you are given an opportunity to go over the unit in extra-fine detail, total up the costs of every single repair and get a discount equal to 150% of that cost, leave it for someone who WANTS a never-ending project.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Given this info and your question about cost...
Nobody here can give even an accurate guess as to cost.

I agree with walk away.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

Its not the cost to fix what you do know is wrong, it's the cost to fix what you don't know needs fixing... Remember, nothing is ever as easy as it appears Good luck on whatever you decide.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #10

Cost is hard to say. Depending on the year, it could be a laminated floor, osb - foam -osb. That combo is harder to fix. My dad did it in their old Nomad, but it was just an osb floor. He did it in a long weekend. Sewer tank came out, toilet, as I recall, he left the tub in place. It was lot of work but he was handy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote