Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Anyone using the new "lithium batteries"?

An example, LiFePO4...
They advertise as much lighter but more expensive. I saw prices and some are real costly.
They advertise that they hold a much better, deeper charge. I am guessing you could run multiples, even 4, as easily as the older batteries...
Just curious. THANKS.
2002 Chev Silverado, 8.1, Allison, 4x4, 3.73
Crew cab, long bed
at the moment a 2016 Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOOOOO Montana State University BOBCATS
Msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

A few people on here are. Other benefits are they last longer and don't need to be vented like the lead acid ones. Too spendy for me, but I like them. I think when you factor in the cost per amp delivered over their expected lifetime, they actually cost less than most decent lead acid 'formats'. I'd need to hire an armed guard to babysit them if I had an exposed battery bank. Sticking with the old tech for now.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

And, they're made by the same company that provided the batteries for the exploding Samsung phones! LOL
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
And, they're made by the same company that provided the batteries for the exploding Samsung phones! LOL
That's not true. It's the company that provides batteries for the incendiary Teslas. JK!!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

I use small versions for quite a number of things. And it is true, they are pretty safe - not the same as the ones in phones, etc. that go "poof!". Many, many advantages - long life, high output for much lower weight, very fast charging.

BUT -
1. There is no good way to measure remaining capacity, except to have a meter on them at all times to tell you how much has already been used.
2. If they are not going to be used in the very near future, they must be discharged partially to a "storage" level. Storing when fully charged dramatically shortens their life. (but they can be stored for long periods without having to worry about topping off the charge).
3. If you run them down too low, even once, they are damaged and/or dead and have to be replaced.
4. Require more expensive "smart" chargers to carefully monitor and balance each cell. A small mistake in charging, and you can kill them.
5. Heat sensitive. So care must be taken to not bake them excessively in a enclosed compartment in the sun in the desert.

So, very expensive, and require a lot more babysitting than conventional lead-acid.
These are not very new anymore, and China has already ramped up production years ago - so don't count on much of a price drop in the future.