Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Almost a good starting point for a totally custom nearly-brand-new truck.

From Camperbob: "That being said, how fun would it be to "Frankenstein" your own truck?! Built exactly how you want it? That would be neat IMO. "

I have mapped out in my own mind the 'perfect' truck. The C10 in the ad is a standard cab. I'd be looking for a crew cab to start with. Preferably a Suburban. Then we have to find a solid frame. The axles, transfer case and drive shafts from either of the donor trucks. Rebuild the axles and transfer case. Repair all the rust holes in the cab. New parts for everything else: Engine, tranny, U-joints, springs, shocks, 40+ rubber bushings in the suspension and body mounts. New radiator, heater core and hoses. Add A/C, modern radio and full instrumentation.

If I had started this project in 2015, it might be ready for the 2017 camping season.

Any ideas on how to find a shop that would do a no-bling, modern, old-school resto-mod like that?

--------------------

Please, I need help accepting that an automatic transmission is somehow better when towing.
Realistically, I think it's only better from the perspective of comfort. In particular, when NOT towing. Otherwise, a manual will likely accept far more abuse, as long as the clutch is up to the task. And personally, I'll never buy another Chrysler product. But if I did consider buying a Dodge pickup, it would only be with a Cummins and manual trans. Don't have a clue if that is still available, but it might. Just not in a half ton.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I used to prefer manual trannies as well but today's slush pumps will beat out a manual, including even on the big rigs, even when the manual is being driven by a pro.
Yup I left a truck stop behind a new automatic 18 wheeler as we had talked inside. I owned my tractor with a 13spd and I could not keep up with the auto. It senses the load and will skip shift up & down, the 13 was 6 gears through an intersection floating gears. My 250 SD will shift out of OD on long pulls and I use the tranny like a jake, kick the OD out down hill and pull it to 3rd and long grades with minimal braking. 160K and nothing other than a fluid change at 100K and I have been told the tranny is the weak spot on the SD.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Dave Kindig does great custom work. Do you have a quarter million dollars?

Kindig It | Custom Cars
Beautiful cars!

I guess "No Bling" would be the hardest part of hiring a custom car builder.

How can you tell professional craftspeople NOT to make every part perfect.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #64

I'll add to the pile here. My first 4 vehicles were all manuals. Drove trucks with manuals for the better park of 10 years for work as well, so have had a fair amount of experience with them and yes they are fun to drive. What I do not miss one bit is sitting in traffic with my manual transmission idling along and constantly putting it in gear to move 10 ft. Sure, on the down slopes it was just neutral and brakes, but that was not always the case.

Having gone over to automatic has been a much more pleasant experience in traffic. On almost every trip I am in traffic, so for me it's not even a thought. Another key element is that if I can't drive my DW can and she uses the TV when in town and disconnected.

If I ever get another toy that is made for speed then it will only be a manual. Yes I agree that it is much more fun to blow through the gears as you see fit.

As far a durability I think it's a fine line with clutches vs a well maintained automatic.

My current TV can be overridden to whatever gear I wish to be in from the shift handle.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Beautiful cars!

I guess "No Bling" would be the hardest part of hiring a custom car builder.

How can you tell professional craftspeople NOT to make every part perfect.

You should check out his show on the Velocity channel sometime. It's called "Bitchin' Rides." All the guys in his shop are artists.

Bitchin’ Rides | Velocity
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Her 'undersized' truck is clearly my fault and I am trying to remedy that situation by buying a new 1/2 ton.

I still haven't read anything that says an automatic transmission is superior to a manual.

I've read several entries in this thread that the truck makers have been tweaking the software so that an automatic will function well enough so it is not annoying when towing.

Anything from anybody? So I can get comfortable with the idea of spending $60K on a new truck; and not worry about hating it a year later?
I have software to tweak GMs myself, but I haven't changed mine. In tow/haul mode, it shifts great for towing and even has engine braking built in (took a little getting used to, but I like it). It also has the manual buttons that some others have mentioned, and it is fun to play around now and then, but I usually just let it do it's thing...

I have been tuning GM EFI vehicles for 15 years and see some interesting things out there... You would love one truck I tuned - it was a 2004 Silverado with a 6.0L stroked to 408 ci and a rather large Magnuson supercharger... and it had a Tremec 6 speed manual transplanted into it with a brutal clutch. It would smoke the tires through the first three shifts with ease...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #67

Quote:

Any ideas on how to find a shop that would do a no-bling, modern, old-school resto-mod like that?
Where are you located?

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
Where are you located?
New York. Just north of NYC.

Any custom car shop in the continental U.S. that is actually interested in this project will do.

Shipping the complete truck up here vs. shipping the relatively rust-free parts from the desert states* should come out fairly close.

(*States that don't use steel-destroying salt on the winter roads)

And proud of it!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #69

Quote:
New York. Just north of NYC.

Any custom car shop in the continental U.S. that is actually interested in this project will do.

Shipping the complete truck up here vs. shipping the relatively rust-free parts from the desert states* should come out fairly close.

(*States that don't use steel-destroying salt on the winter roads)

I looked into it a bit, and it seems the problem with what you want would be the four wheel drive (you eluded to wanting that when you mentioned transfer case earlier). I can't find a 6 speed manual that will connect to a transfer case. All of the conversions I have been involved with were 2 wheel drive...

I think if you drove one of the new ones with the manual shift option, you would like it. In manual, my truck is like driving a 6 speed manual, except you don't need a clutch...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
I looked into it a bit, and it seems the problem with what you want would be the four wheel drive (you eluded to wanting that when you mentioned transfer case earlier). I can't find a 6 speed manual that will connect to a transfer case. All of the conversions I have been involved with were 2 wheel drive...

I think if you drove one of the new ones with the manual shift option, you would like it. In manual, my truck is like driving a 6 speed manual, except you don't need a clutch...
Thanks for the info.

I'm not stuck on the need for a 6-speed. As long as the top gear is overdrive, 5 or even 4 is fine.

(If you want lots of gears, check my 2011 New Holland Boomer 40. 16 speeds forward and 16 reverse across 3 levers. But that's a bit overkill for a truck?)

While I don't plan on needing 4wd 99.9999% of the time. Having it available when this truck is the only self-propelled vehicle for several miles is important to my peace of mind.

All of the pieces are out there to build a "virtually brand-new" truck to almost all of my specifications.

Or just drink the Kool Aid and buy a McTruck.

And proud of it!