Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: How do you use your automatic changeover regulator?
I have BOTH tanks open 39 67.24%
I only have the tank open that I am using 15 25.86%
One now. After reading this I will be opening BOTH tanks 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Automatic changeover propane regulators

This poll only applies to those who have an automatic changeover propane regulator.

I have seen many campers who have the automatic changeover regulator but only have ONE tank open. This completely defeats the advantage the automatic changeover provides.

So......I am curious how other campers use their automatic changeover.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

I usually open both...

Can anyone recommend a decent one to replace the factory one on mine. Last time we went camping it switched over but the indicator did not show that the primary tank was empty. Would have been nice to know because the back up tank was almost empty by the end of the trip where temps were below freeing at night. Would have sucked if I ran out in the middle of the night!
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Both open during use. Both closed during transit and storage.

Let the thing do its job. Watch the window for red. Move the knob, get green. Refill the empty tank at my convenience.

A piece of 'advanced technology' (1948) that really does a nice job if you let it.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

We boondock ALOT! In fact we only utilize a campground with hook ups one time per year. Otherwise, its all no hook ups and/or off the beaten path. I also have been known to use my RV in extreme cold conditions. With that said, I had originally started utilizing it with both tanks open and letting the regulator switch over automatically. All it took was one time waking up in freezing temperatures to a very cold camper and no gas to cook or warm anything with because the regulator; I assume, had somehow switched over between tanks on previous trips, without my knowledge, and I ended up with a primary empty tank and the second tank, which I thought was full, turned out to be closer to empty. Luckily, time and experience has taught me to ALWAYS have an extra tank.
Since that trip, I have always opened only the left tank. When that goes empty and I switch over. Once I get back to town on my way home, while I dump my waste tanks, I get the empty tank filled and switch the tanks over so that my right side tank is always the full one. It may seem like a bit of work but I have peace of mind knowing that I always have at least a completely full tank on board. I still always carry a spare full tank as well (which has come to the aid of a fellow camper/stranger more than once).
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
... I had originally started utilizing it with both tanks open and letting the regulator switch over automatically. All it took was one time waking up in freezing temperatures to a very cold camper and no gas to cook or warm anything with because the regulator; I assume, had somehow switched over between tanks on previous trips, without my knowledge, ....
I check my tanks at the end of each camping trip. If it switched I refill the empty tank. That way there is ALWAYS at least one full tank at the start of every camping trip.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

I voted "both tanks open", but that's not necessarily true. You see, we don't use a lot of propane. So, if I know my primary tank is full, I will refrain from opening the secondary tank valve for a while. If we're running the furnace a bunch, or it's going to get cold, I will typically open the second valve regardless of how much gas I think is in the primary tank. I just don't want to be going out in my skivvies to open that bugger in the middle of the night. But under most circumstances, like I said, we don't use a lot of propane, so I will typically wait until I think there might be a need to open the second valve.

I've only been surprised by an empty tank once, but I had both valves open, so it was no big deal. The auto-changeover function worked perfectly, so there was no interruption in service. I discovered it when I went to shut the trailer down for storage and saw the indicator on the regulator was red. The only problem is I didn't know how long the tank had been empty. No big deal, I just went and had it filled at the next available opportunity.

I generally agree though, that not having both valves open defeats the point of an auto-changeover regulator.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I check my tanks at the end of each camping trip. If it switched I refill the empty tank. That way there is ALWAYS at least one full tank at the start of every camping trip.
In the habitual routine I live by; there is one step I have relieved myself of. I no longer have to check my tanks at the end of every trip. I have not installed any sort of meter on my RV, so back when I was doing it, checking the tanks at the end of every trip involved having to take the cover off either all the way or enough to look at the magnetic level indicators (and/or do the tap test). I know when the regulator has to change over because the tank went empty and I manually switched it over.

Either way works. It sounds like no matter which way, either you or I, both always have a full tank What is important is not running out.

As I said, I still carry a spare full tank in the truck (even if we are going out for a three day weekend), and more than once I have either traded it for an empty one or loaned it to a fellow camper on a weekend trip because they ran out. On this current RV and previous ones, I have been out on 20 plus day cold weather hunting trips (temps never get above the mid 20s) and on those trips I carry two spare 30lb propane cylinders and 1 spare 20lb cylinder. I have never in over 20 years used more than one of those extra cylinders. I also carry 50 gallons of fuel for the generator and never in 20 years used more than 20 gallons in the generator. I still carry it all, because 'Mr. Murphy' is out there, and I don't want to be 'that guy' who doesn't have something he should have had.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Both open during use. Both closed during transit and storage..
X2

Why have the automatic changeover if you don't freakin' use it???

Roger

P.S. I check it every couple of days when we're camping. Frankly, at our usage rate, I'd be fine checking it weekly, monthly, or just at the end of each camping trip. We emptied ONE tank this summer and it changed over without any issue.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

I start each camping trip with 2 full 40 lb. tanks and keep both tank valves open. When boondocking, I have the DW check the regulator color* about every other day (depending on WH and furnace use). The day the regulator switches tanks, I refill the empty tank.

* I wish they had a letter in addition to the color and why, oh why, are there 2 different names (red/green) for the same color!?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
This poll only applies to those who have an automatic changeover propane regulator.

I have seen many campers who have the automatic changeover regulator but only have ONE tank open. This completely defeats the advantage the automatic changeover provides.

So......I am curious how other campers use their automatic changeover.
We only open one tank , that way we only run out of propane one tank at a time.Its seems like an odd set up to take a chance of running both tanks empty.We did that once!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We only open one tank , that way we only run out of propane one tank at a time.Its seems like an odd set up to take a chance of running both tanks empty.We did that once!
Not trying to be critical, but I don't understand why you would do this. Seems to defeat the whole point of having the auto-switching regulator!

All you need to do is check the regulator every few days to see if it's switched, and then get the empty tank filled. AFAIK, auto-switching regulators also let you swap out tanks without turning off the gas.

Roger

Old 12-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Not trying to be critical, but I don't understand why you would do this. Seems to defeat the whole point of having the auto-switching regulator!

All you need to do is check the regulator every few days to see if it's switched, and then get the empty tank filled. AFAIK, auto-switching regulators also let you swap out tanks without turning off the gas.

Roger
Most RV's made today are factory equipped with auto changeover regulators. so it is not really a choice. As indicated, a couple of us have been left high and dry by the auto changeovers. It is possible (not common) but possible (regardless of manufacturers saying they don't), for them to have 'hiccups' in operation and due to WH usage, stove, heater, or whatever demand creating that weird situation for the regulator to changeover to the secondary tank even though the primary is not empty, without your knowledge and change back. It has happened to me. Hence why I changed my routine back to the way I did many many years ago before auto changeovers were standard.
There was recently a thread posted by another member (I think within the past week or so) where in they brought up that during a tank change the auto changeover was allowing for leakage from the other tank once the empty tank was disconnected.
"Murphy" happens, which is why I take steps whenever possible to limit "murphy's law".
Old 12-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
... AFAIK, auto-switching regulators also let you swap out tanks without turning off the gas.

Roger
This is correct. Empty tank can be replaced without shutting off the currently supplying tank.

1. Close the empty tank valve.
2. Change the tank.
3. Open the new tank valve.
4. Switch the regulator valve.

The key to not running out is periodically checking for the switch-over. That is one thing the automatic regulator cannot do......make you check it.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
The key to not running out is periodically checking for the switch-over. That is one thing the automatic regulator cannot do......make you check it.
You got that right!

Old 12-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
X2

Why have the automatic changeover if you don't freakin' use it???

Roger

P.S. I check it every couple of days when we're camping. Frankly, at our usage rate, I'd be fine checking it weekly, monthly, or just at the end of each camping trip. We emptied ONE tank this summer and it changed over without any issue.
Short answer, "Because it came that way". My passenger side tank is my primary and is open. The other tank is backup and closed until needed. If camping in cold weather I have been known to open tank 2 before calling it a nite just in case But close it up again in the morning. If I suspect the primary is pretty much empty, and expecting cold nites, I will go ahead and get it refilled just for peace of mind.

Personally I don't see the need for the auto switch over as it leaves more people in the cold than the other way around. If my primary runs dry in the middle of the nite, all I have is about 10 minutes to get dressed and go out and open tank 2. If you're on auto and don't payattention, that middle of the night problem gets a whole lot more complicated.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip... If you ...snip... don't pay attention, that ...snip... problem gets a whole lot more complicated.
Amen! That applies to sooo many things!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #17

Consider this scenario:

It's 2:30 AM and 27 degrees outside and raining (snowing??). You are tucked cozy in your bed. All is right with the world. WAIT........something is not right. "Why am I so cold?"

Then it occurs to you. You disabled the only thing that could have kept you from getting dressed, going outside in the cold/dark spending the next 10 minutes removing the tank cover, figuring out which tank needs to be turned on, making sure to do it slowly enough you don't trip the hi-flow shut off. All the while freezing your butt off. Now back inside. Furnace won't restart. Did you turn the valve too fast? Back outside. Try the valve again. Success this time.

Back in the bed to get warmed back up. Asking yourself why in the world you would chose to operate this way.

Having both tanks open and checking the automatic switchover more often would have prevented this level of discomfort.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

If I have recently fumed both tanks I'll only open one up because it takes a couple trips to really get close to draining a tank. I'll open them both up and let it do it's job after that unless I need it for heat then I use as intended.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Afinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #19

After a few trips it's fairly easy to guess about how long a tank will last. We typically go for 5 or 6 months at a time. I know when using the furnace in colder weather a tank will last from 5 days or longer. I turn both on, check the tanks periodically and have never run out. During warmer months I can go months on a tank, but always check the tanks at least once a week. When empty I fill that tank at my earliest convenience. I only once had to go out in the middle of the night, before I understood on the auto switchover worked...never again.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

My last TT was a single bottle (20lbs) setup. Overnight was it's favorite time to run out. [Note: I had rigged things that the bottle swap only took 30 seconds and required no tools (other than a lighter for the pilots).]

Using the auto-changer system properly has completely prevented running out. As long as one checks the indicator and refills the empty tank promptly.

Letting both tanks run out or having to relight or reset appliances after manually changing over, just seems silly to me.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote