Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

Awning poles or tie downs necessary?

Okay, so this is my first TT, previously owned a popup.

My 2011 StarCraft Travelstar 187 TB has a manual awning.

I have read some threads about closing them when windy, tilting them when raining, etc.

But do I need to use awning tie downs or install support poles? What do you guys do?

Thanks.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdiep View Post
Okay, so this is my first TT, previously owned a popup.

My 2011 StarCraft Travelstar 187 TB has a manual awning.

I have read some threads about closing them when windy, tilting them when raining, etc.

But do I need to use awning tie downs or install support poles? What do you guys do?

Thanks.
We had a manual on our old camper. If you bring it in when you are not in camp or if the wind picks up, then don't worry about it. If you leave it out in those conditions, you are still taking a gamble and they may not be enough to prevent damage. So just bring it in. Adding that stuff make it more difficult to set up and take it down.

The way I look at it is if a storm comes up, the stuff out there is getting wet anyhow so why risk it. I just store what I have to and bring it in. If it is just wind, well that doesn't hurt what is out there so I bring it in. It only takes a couple minutes because I never bothered with that other stuff. It is just easier now with a power one on the new camper but another thing to break.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Based on our experience, I'd say you don't need either but it depends on how you intend to use your awning.

I have a 2011 Starcraft 235fb with a manual awning.
If your awning operates like mine, then the support poles actually detach from the bottom of the camper and can be placed on the ground (perpendicular to the end of the awning).
We've only done this a couple of times in 6 years and we drive a metal tent stake to anchor the end of the pole. Most time, we just leave the poles attached to the trailer and pull out the awning.

We do have awning tie-downs, but we rarely use them as we retract the awning when conditions get windy. We do have de-flappers which we install each time we put the awning out for a more extended stay.

Tie down kit: RV Awning Stabilizer Kit - $8.99

De-flapper:
Camco Awning De-Flapper Max - $16.99
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

We leave our awning open almost all the time when camping. We tilt one side for water runoff. The only times we pull it in is with high winds. Over the years that's been fairly rare, though last June we were south of Escanaba, MI right on Lake Michigan and came back from an outing to find we nearly lost our awning due to high winds, 40 mph gusts. Probably would have liked the tie downs that day!

We do use the deflappers pictured above. Makes for much quieter sleeping conditions when it's a little windier.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #5

Never had issues with the manual awning on my previous TT. Once opened, it was as secure as the rest of the trailer.

The powered awing on our current TT is another matter. Becuse everthing is spring-loaded (ok, nitrogen struts) it flexes when the weather turns nasty. I'm developing the habit of drawing it in whenever there is foul weather expected.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

So if I am understanding everyone, it appears that these are not necessary with the manual awnings and more useful for the automatic ones?

And, it is a better idea to retract the awnings when it is windy and tilt the awning if it is raining?

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

There's really no risk of damage, or a need to buy extra stuff if you just keep an eye on the weather and pull the awning in when it's too windy to enjoy being out in it. We also drop one end down about a foot lower than the other for run-off. It doesn't tend to rain a whole lot out here though, you just don't want your awning turning into a giant water bed, or sail.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #8

I have never had a water build up issue with my manual one but wouldn't push it up so high that it is level either. I guess I would tilt it more to direct some of the water in the direction I wanted it to go. Sometimes the front of the trailer was low and sometimes the back. It depends on the camping spot. It doesn't make sense to have the low side on high ground where water then runs through your area under the awning. Or since it is relatively flat at most places then it depends on the flow of traffic which may differ from spot to spot.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #9

Thanks guys. That's some good advice there about which way to tilt the awning for run off.