Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Battery Equalizer Chemical - Works ???

Bought a bottle of battery equalizer at www.batteryequalizer.com for my rv batteries. After one recharge, I see pieces of something floating in the liquid inside batteries. Could this product really clean and prolong my batteries?
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Bought a bottle of battery equalizer at www.batteryequalizer.com for my rv batteries. After one recharge, I see pieces of something floating in the liquid inside batteries. Could this product really clean and prolong my batteries?
The last thing you want to see is anything floating around in a battery.. How old is the battery.. has it always maintained a charge? The only way to truly check a battery's condition is to check its "Specific Gravity" in each cell. That being said the acid in a battery is very dangerous, so I would not recommend messing around with it.

As a kid, we always tried to extend a battery life, but based on past experience, the battery (car) always got replaced soon after adding the miracle drug to the battery.

Here is what a major manufacture has to say about the subject..

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Trojan Battery Additives.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

The best way to test a battery is to load test it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

Phoned people at equalizer. According to them, what I see floating in acid is sulfate particles that have broken away from plates, and will dissolve in time. Said they sell lots of batteries, recommend the product in them, stand behind their product, and have lots of happy customers. My interstate deep cycles are about three years old, and probably should re replaced anyway. So we shall see!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

In the past, I tried this Battery Equalizer product. Before adding it, I measured and wrote down the specific gravity (acid strength) for each cell. The battery was 3 years old and came with the TT and was weak. After adding the stuff, and charging, I re-measured the specific gravity. The two worst cells didn't recover, and actually got worse. The other cells did improve though. I concluded from this, it might only work for a battery only slightly gone, otherwise forget it. Afterwards, I found documentation from the maker of the additive which said the specific gravity must be above a prescribed number (don't remember the number) for it to work as they say.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #6

I saw an add for Battery Equalizer additive and searched for this post. I have a two year old battery that seems in pretty good condition as I have tried to keep it above 50% and use a battery tender when not hooked up to AC.

As the last post is old, I wondered if anyone else has experience with this product for still usable batteries.

Worth the money?? about $15 per battery. Battery was about $90.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote