Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #1

Battery install on a 1993 jayco pup camper that doesn't have battery hookups

I just bought a1993 Jayco pop up camper the wife of 15 years has finally went camping and she loves it but we are getting older and she freezes at night and I hate using generators too noisy!! I want to use a batter power to run it at night so she's comfortable I need to know what type of battery and where and how to install it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Flores;543799[COLOR="Blue"
]I just bought a1993 Jayco pop up camper the wife of 15 years has finally went camping and she loves it but we are getting older and she freezes at night and I hate using generators too noisy!! I want to use a batter power to run it at night so she's comfortable I need to know what type of battery and where and how to install it
[/COLOR]
Based on what your needs are you will need to go with a TRUE deep cycle battery. Being that you have a Pop-Up your energy needs will be high because of the canvas sides which will loose a lot of heat.

The regular RV/Marine 85Ah batteries will not meet your needs, unless your wife sleeps with thermals on and flannel PJ's, in a winter type sleeping bag. The other question(s) I have:
- Do you have LED lights in the Pop-Up?
- Are you using an inverter to power anything like a TV?
- How much tongue weight your TV allows (if batteries are on the tongue)
- How will you charge up your batteries, as they will need to be fully recharged before your next night of heater use? SOLAR? Noisy generator?

The best place to mount them is on the tongue, you may have to weld a few iron angle brackets to keep them in place (inside battery boxes)

The minimum I would recommend is a (2) Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries (220Ah), next level would be T-145 6 volt batteries (260Ah) or the equivalent Ah batteries.

You will need to convert all your lights to LED's as soon as possible. Each regular bulb uses about 1 amp of current.

Your budget will play an important part of your battery selection.

Everyone knows that I will push SOLAR as your charging option, since I love the lack of noise it produces while charging.

You will also need to purchase an inexpensive 12VDC Digital Voltage Display, to monitor your batteries voltage level. You can only discharge your batteries to 12.0 VDC, going by the fan is no longer blowing any air is of course an unacceptable battery monitoring tool. When the battery voltage hits 12.0 VDC the wife will need to get under a few more covers. Now that summer is here the heat should not be needed that much... maybe.

Based on what I have heard about POP-up heating needs, you can bank on almost a complete discharge (down to the 12.0VDC) level each night. Recharging will be critical to restore the lost Ah's.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   JAYCO - Pop-Up Camper with Battery Picture.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Based on what your needs are you will need to go with a TRUE deep cycle battery. Being that you have a Pop-Up your energy needs will be high because of the canvas sides which will loose a lot of heat.

The regular RV/Marine 85Ah batteries will not meet your needs, unless your wife sleeps with thermals on and flannel PJ's, in a winter type sleeping bag. The other question(s) I have:
- Do you have LED lights in the Pop-Up?
- Are you using an inverter to power anything like a TV?
- How much tongue weight your TV allows (if batteries are on the tongue)
- How will you charge up your batteries, as they will need to be fully recharged before your next night of heater use? SOLAR? Noisy generator?

The best place to mount them is on the tongue, you may have to weld a few iron angle brackets to keep them in place (inside battery boxes)

The minimum I would recommend is a (2) Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries (220Ah), next level would be T-145 6 volt batteries (260Ah) or the equivalent Ah batteries.

You will need to convert all your lights to LED's as soon as possible. Each regular bulb uses about 1 amp of current.

Your budget will play an important part of your battery selection.

Everyone knows that I will push SOLAR as your charging option, since I love the lack of noise it produces while charging.

You will also need to purchase an inexpensive 12VDC Digital Voltage Display, to monitor your batteries voltage level. You can only discharge your batteries to 12.0 VDC, going by the fan is no longer blowing any air is of course an unacceptable battery monitoring tool. When the battery voltage hits 12.0 VDC the wife will need to get under a few more covers. Now that summer is here the heat should not be needed that much... maybe.

Based on what I have heard about POP-up heating needs, you can bank on almost a complete discharge (down to the 12.0VDC) level each night. Recharging will be critical to restore the lost Ah's.

Don

Ok thanks for the information it's greatly appreciated. To answer a few questions I'm not to sure if lights are led but will check. Where do you find how much the tongue weight allowance is? I have a generator but not to sure if I can use it to charge battery or batteries?plus the unit I got doesn't have hook ups for battery I see a place by seating where it says you can switch to battery so as can probably tell I'm not to familiar with electrical stuff how do I put cables on or better yet where do I put em an hide cables

Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

what kind of heat do you plan on using? does your popup has a propane furnace or are you using an electric plugin heater? you could also just use a buddy catalytic propane heater, runs on 1# propane tanks, and used no power.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

We just use the one installed in the camper the fan is electric but the heat uses my propane tank

Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

I will check out the buddy when I get a chance to get into town. Thanks octane

Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Before you purchase an LP vent less gas heater there are a few things you need to know.

What pollutants are released into a room when an unvented heater is used?

The main combustion products formed when gas burns are:
Carbon dioxide (CO2), a non-toxic gas formed during complete combustion of carbon based fuels.
Carbon monoxide (CO), a toxic gas formed if combustion is incomplete.
Nitrogen dioxide, a toxic gas.
Water vapor.

Can the health hazards of an unvented heater be reduced?

The most effective method to reduce the hazards is to discontinue use of the unvented heater by switching to vented gas or electric appliances. Where unvented gas appliance use is permitted the following are suggested:
Use only approved gas heaters with ODS pilots.
Follow all operation and maintenance instructions carefully.
Clean the burner yearly, or more often, as required in the owners manual.
Do not use an oversized heater. The Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association (GAMA) recommends limiting the amount of pollutants by correctly sizing the heaters. A 3840 Btu/hr heater is the largest that should be used in a tight 10 x 20 foot room located in Iowa.
Do not operate for more than 4 hours at a time. Unvented gas heaters are designed for supplemental use only.
Do not use unvented heaters in bedrooms, bathrooms, or confined spaces.
Provide adequate ventilation, as required in the owner’s manual. If the home has weather stripped doors and windows an outside air source will likely be required.
Provide even more ventilation, or discontinue unvented heater use, if the pollutants cause health problems.
Install a U-L or IAS listed carbon monoxide detector. Because low concentrations of carbon monoxide can cause health problems, purchase a detector advertised as a “sensitive” detector or one with a digital display.

I thought about these for use in the months of April and May, but I have enough issues and do not need to add to them.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Well then the wife and I both have health issues but I'll definitely look into it before purchasing a propane heater thank you for the info but no ones told me how to hook up batteries and what all I need to do since my pup doesn't have the hook ups for it

Old 07-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Your year had 3 different converters used for converting your 120VAC to 12VDC. There was a 6, 10 and 20 amp version. Also is there a switch on the converter that allows you to switch to battery. The converter can not be charged by the converter.

http://www.cunninghamcampers.com/fckimages/1993CT.pdf (Page 33)

Can you give me the make and model of your power converter in the tt?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

Where abouts is the make and model number on the converter I'll look tonight and tell you and thank you for all your help hope someday I can return the help.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
.... The converter can not be charged by the converter.
I meant to say the battery can not be charged by this type of converter. It would be best if you changed out the existing converter to the new SMART battery charge controller that are on the market today.

I hope some of the other members that have made this mod can jump in and let you know what they replaced the original with.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR[
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #12

Okay now I'm getting it where can I get one can I order it from Jayco

Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Flores View Post
Okay now I'm getting it where can I get one can I order it from Jayco

There will probably be better deals for the newer battery charge controllers on Amazon. Let's see if anyone responds to upgrades they have made.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

Now when you say SMART battery charge controller does that mean I gotta buy a smart battery??

Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Can you send me a picture of what one looks like I'm kinda lost