Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Battery Question?

How long should a full charge on a deep cycle battery last? If I park my hybrid TT with a fully charged battery, if I go back to it a day later, my battery is completely drained? Shouldn't it last more than that? I tried looking for something being left on but, that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?

Thanks,
boubay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubay88 View Post
How long should a full charge on a deep cycle battery last? If I park my hybrid TT with a fully charged battery, if I go back to it a day later, my battery is completely drained? Shouldn't it last more than that? I tried looking for something being left on but, that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sounds like its time for a nee battery. I just had the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
mlambertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

If the battery is good you need a disconnect switch to stop current draw while sitting. A good fully charged battery should hold for months without a draw in it.I installed one of these and it cured that problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Batter...ine+disconnect
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

There is a constant draw from your trailer of around 1 amp. This is coming from the CO and propane detector. Stereo can also draw a bit even if it is off.

A fully charged deep cycle should last longer than 1 day but any good battery will be drained in a week or so if it is not disconnected from the trailer.

Lets assume you have a group 24 battery with 70 amp hours and it is fully charged. You really don't want to go below 12 volts which is ~50% of the capacity of the battery so you have a usable 35 amp hours. A 1 amp draw for 1 hour is 1 Ah (amp hour). After one day that will add up to 24Ah. A day and a half and your battery is below 50% charge. Two to three days and it is absolutely dead.

You really need a battery disconnect switch to be sure you stop all draws on the battery. Then it can last months in storage.

If you have drained your battery multiple times like this you likely need a new battery.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks,
First, how do you know it was/is fully charged?

How do you know it is 'completely drained'?

How old is your battery and has it been completely drained before?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

A day to discharge sounds like an unhealthy battery. As others already stated there is parasite loads on the battery. On my 23B I can go about 2 weeks, before my battery will read 12 volts.

When my trailer is in storage and not connected to the battery, I disconnect the battery. In my case I remove the 30 amp fuse I have at the positive battery terminal. Many people have or install a battery disconnect.

What year and model htt do you have? how old is the battery? Have you been maintaining it? You need to check each cell every few months and add distilled water. Only use distilled water to top off the cells, just to the bottom of the plastic rim. if you use tap water you will shorten the battery life, due to the minerals in the water. If the water level falls below the top of the cells the battery can easily be damaged, and shorten its life.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

I say it was fully charged because it was plugged-in before storing it, and the battery gauge said full charge(indicator lights on wall gauge). Inside Lights worked when parking it.
I say completely drained because the lights didn't work when I went back and the gauge was zero (indicator lights).
Battery was new when I bought the trailer last November.

I have a '12 KZ Coyote 20C
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
I say it was fully charged because it was plugged-in before storing it, and the battery gauge said full charge(indicator lights on wall gauge). Inside Lights worked when parking it.
I say completely drained because the lights didn't work when I went back and the gauge was zero (indicator lights).
Battery was new when I bought the trailer last November
Did you leave the battery connect while in storage? If so, did you have the TT plugged in while in storage?

It sounds like the battery was fully drained due to parasite loads. The battery most likely is shot and will need to be replaced. Don't feel bad, this happens a lot. If the TT is in storage, and not connected to shore power always disconnect the battery. Just remember to reconnect before towing as the E-Brakes use the battery if the hitch becomes disconnected, while under tow.

Good luck, and happy camping!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

I do not keep it plugged in while in storage, and I did not disconnect the battery. I have never done that with any other trailer battery that I have ahd and didn't experience this. Guess its time for a new battery and some new habits!!

Thanks everyone....