Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #1

Bubble in my roof material

I noticed a large bubble in my rubber roof material, it is located just behind the bathroom skylight. It is about 8"x4", should I be worried about this? We have only had the trailer for almost a month now. It appears to be new as I never noticed it until tonight. I can see the roof looking out the windows of my house. I am taking it in for some minor warranty issues in 2 weeks and plan on adding this to the list.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Derek,

The large bubble in your roof material is definitely a warranty problem you will want to have corrected as soon as possible. Make sure you ask the dealership to explain how the repair will be made--you do not want seams cut into the material as a way to get cement under the bubble. The material needs to be lifted from the edge of the roof or from the edge of the bathroom skylight if that gives enough room to spread roofing cement thoroughly under the bubble area. Also, keep all your paperwork on the repair so that if it fails after your warranty has expired you will have an argument for the roof to be repaired again at Jayco's expense.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

I have a similar problem only it is a large bubble on the roof of my slide out. I have
a new 2011 Jayfeather 24T. We took it to the dealer today and they took a picture
of it to send to Jayco. It just started to bubble in the past month or so. I check it regularly to clean it before retracting it back inside the trailer
jayfeather421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfeather421 View Post
snip......a large bubble on the roof of my slide out.....snip
First time I heard of it on a slider roof......, is it a large air pocket or is there a firm feel below the raised roofing material?

Best to get it taken care of before it possibly damages the slider seal.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

A roof bubble is definately a warranty issue. The Jayco warranty is two years and the roof is for ??? years? I can't remember.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

This was just fixed. It was a wrinkle in the bathroom skylight area. I knew it wasn't right but they insisted it wouldn't pose a problem.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #7

It is a large air bubble that is in the center of the slide roof and extends inward underneath the seal. It seems firm underneath. I just hope that Jayco will honor this
fix under their 2 year warranty. It might be a big job as you would think the slide entire slide would have to come off to get at it.

43 nights camping this summer. Long winter ahead.(Manitoba)

Pat
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #8

We have a 2011 31.5RLTS and found a bubble on the right front portion of the roof (about 4"X 7") approximately 1' in from the side. Jayco says they won't do anything unless there is failure (bubble) of 10% or more of the roof. Nice lady at Customer Service but she was adamant that was the policy. The roof material is also "loose" where it goes over the side edge immediatley adjacent to the bubble and they have agreed to fix that. Needless to say we are still talking to Jayco about the bubble.

In the past, Jayco has had a good reputation which is one of the reasons we purchased this 5th wheel. We sold a bulletproof Arctic Fox to get this floorplan but the issues we have experienced take a whole page to list. I have to say that the dealer has been great and they have fixed all the other issues even though it caused a couple months of downtime.
geo/kim Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

I will post the outcome of Jayco's remedy.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

Just go our trailer back . They replaced the tape but there is still a bubble extending
under the seal of the slide out. They even took me inside the shop to look at another
Jayco with the same issue. They said it is common and not a concern. ???? I am not sure what to do as I believe the roof of the slide out should be perfectly flat.

Patrick

Winnipeg Mb.