Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Cell phone signal issues

I have a problem with getting cell phone signal in my rv when i'm out in the middle of nowhere and sometimes even near major highways. I could have a good signal outside but not much inside. I would hate to have an emergency and not be able to call some one for help. We're planning to drive to Florida near the end of May and I'd like to have this issue resolved.

We have AT&T, our signal is usually hit and miss even though the coverage map shows otherwise, we use an iphone and a blackberry for both voice and data and have an air card for our laptop which we use most of the time insted of staring at the tiny screens on our phones lol.

I've been looking for solutions to my issue and found a couple of options, but was wondering if any one had a similar issue and what you used to solve it... This is what I'm looking into...

http://www.unwiredsignal.com/?p=1036...stem+801245+RV

It supposed to pick up the signal from the tower, send it to an amp, boost it and broadcast it inside through a panel antenna. Theres nothing connected to our cell phone or our air card which is great because I dont want to be teathered to an antenna with no wiggle room.

If any one has any experience with this gadget please advise or if you have a better solution that doesnt involve switching carriers I'm all ears... I dont think I could give up my iphone lol

Thanks in advance for all the help!

In your back yard, hanging out...
AVATAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #2

I've seen that trucker antenna used a lot. Have heard good reports on it. It boasts a 50db gain and the other only 7 db. Every 3 db is a double in signal strenth. 50db is a lot.

You have to understand, if it's only receiving noise it's going to only amplify the noise. If there is a hint of a signal, look for good response.

I'm in the same situation. We use BlackBerrys and looking into an amp. We are with Verizon. Not knocking AT&T, but in the southeast Verizon has much better coverage in remote locations.

Good luck to you.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

In my recent working days (now retired) all across the US the only provider that worked in most places was VERIZON . I do know AT&T is working hard now to take away a bunch of Verizon places so it wont be too much longer before VERIZON has some competition . Most of the providers do real well following the interstates but fall apart real quick in the back out of the way places... VERIZON does have some bad spots but for us was by far the best providerer to use...

I have great success using the Verizon MIFI box that gives me a five user WIFI HOT SPOT for about 50-feet around my trailer anywhere I get a cell phone signal.. Lets all of my on-board toys log in at same time. I have the 3GB Data plan for $27 a month but I think VERIZON has now come out with a new replacement data plane which is 5GB data plan for $50 a month. I'm good until I have to upgrade haha... I used to use the 5GB AIR CARD plan for $60 a month but changed over to Verizon MIFI when it came out a few years back.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
Here's a link to my system...
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=Manley
Jim
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Can ya hear me now?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Team

sold on MIFI

I have had great success with the Verizon mifi service also. I will likely upgrade to the 4g in a few months. Even though we don't get to far out in the sticks, I have never not been able to get online this past year. We even dropped our home DSL service to save a few bucks and just use the mifi all the time.

Works fine if you are not a high volume user. Our internet habits are not geared to downloading music or video so 3g has worked out fine so far.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Can ya hear me now?
What?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

Trucker antenna. Worked for us and it was just on the cabinet in the trailer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Site Team

I have a passive trucker antenna. My new phone has no external antenna jack, so it's for sale with 2 adapters. PM me if interested.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #10

I've had AT&T who then went to Cingular then back to AT&T, Nextell who became Sprint, T-mobile for WI-FI and Virgin. I now have had Verizon for 8 months and all the dead spots that I had with all the above mentioned providers were plugged with Verizon. While I have no experience nor have I tried boosters, so I cannot speak to reccommend one or another. Changing my carrier has solved my issues.

I've been in major metropolitan areas where coverage just stinks with multiple carriers, so it's not always a rural location problem.

Just my experience with the reliable coverage that I now have.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Cant remember brand but Best Buy has a cellphone amp that works.They even put em in thier service truck fleet.I was looking at adding them to my ac service vans for some 21st century gadgets for billing.Suposedly if within 25miles of a tower you got service including data.were about 300 bucks IIR
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote