Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

CO/smoke detectors

I plan to replace all detectors in my trailer for this coming season. I have a battery operated CO detector and smoke detector, both ceiling mounted. I realize the LP detector is RV specific but can battery operated home CO/ smoke detectors be used in RV’s. I was just wondering if they are made different for vibration.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

I added a "home type" smoke detector in the bedroom and it works fine (works just like the Jayco installed one in the living room). BTW, the LP detectors need to be replaced every 5 years, just in case you didn't know

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

I replaced the CO detector in our old trailer once. I found a direct replacement using the same mounting bracket at the home store. I didn't bother checking the model numbers, but the only other difference I could tell was instead of an Atwood brand, it was a Kidde, kind of like this one:

The trailer doesn't care if it's different, and carbon monoxide will kill you no matter where you're sleeping.

I also replaced the propane detector, and had to get a RV specific one because it was hard-wired. A simple enough job, just two screws and two wires.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #4

I found the following very interesting and dangerous if the correct CO detector is not used in a RV, DO NOT BUY FROM A BIG BOX STORE.

RV CO alarms are for unconditioned spaces. Alarms you buy in chain stores are only for conditioned space that does not move such as a home and have limited temperature and humidity extremes.
The unconditioned space also requires minus 40º C and extreme high temperature (66 °C) and high and low humidities 10 % relative humidity (RH) for 1 week and 93% RH for 10 days at 61 °C, vibration and shock and much more. These extremes, hot and cold temperatures, high and low RH, are preconditioned for periods of time from 3 days to 30 days followed by each of the UL tests above after each extreme. For complete detail you can click on the sequential test protocol.
Many people store their RVs in the winter and some store them in summer in the desert where temperatures reach temperatures 122 °F (50 °C), Dry campers often spend a year traveling to locations with no hook ups so they use their generators or nothing. These stays can be for extended periods of time in the heat of summer and the freezing cold of winter using their generator, which is a good reason for all the extra testing at UL by itself. However, there is another important reason, that is the shock and vibration on the road and often on dirt roads or very bumpy gravel roads, which makes it important to have a special test protocols (including shock and vibration tests ,salt spray, corrosion and more) for listing carbon monoxide alarms used in all RVs.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies, I'm glad that I inquired.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Team

If replace my smoke detectors, I will get one that is easy to disable and enable.

We get lots of false alarms in ours when cooking.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

I need to install a Deaf-friendly unit and from my Amazon browsing, the model I'm currently eyeing needs to be hard wired, could I simply swap the new alarm with the stock CO alarm?
kevinrbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

We replaced all 3 of our detectors last year;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC5SZLO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMBHG4

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-NetB.../dp/B01MDTEH6Q
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrbellamy View Post
I need to install a Deaf-friendly unit and from my Amazon browsing, the model I'm currently eyeing needs to be hard wired, could I simply swap the new alarm with the stock CO alarm?
I see no reason why not. It's nothing but a hole with 12vdc attached with small wires.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I found the following very interesting and dangerous if the correct CO detector is not used in a RV, DO NOT BUY FROM A BIG BOX STORE.

RV CO alarms are for unconditioned spaces. Alarms you buy in chain stores are only for conditioned space that does not move such as a home and have limited temperature and humidity extremes.
The unconditioned space also requires minus 40º C and extreme high temperature (66 °C) and high and low humidities 10 % relative humidity (RH) for 1 week and 93% RH for 10 days at 61 °C, vibration and shock and much more. These extremes, hot and cold temperatures, high and low RH, are preconditioned for periods of time from 3 days to 30 days followed by each of the UL tests above after each extreme. For complete detail you can click on the sequential test protocol.
Many people store their RVs in the winter and some store them in summer in the desert where temperatures reach temperatures 122 °F (50 °C), Dry campers often spend a year traveling to locations with no hook ups so they use their generators or nothing. These stays can be for extended periods of time in the heat of summer and the freezing cold of winter using their generator, which is a good reason for all the extra testing at UL by itself. However, there is another important reason, that is the shock and vibration on the road and often on dirt roads or very bumpy gravel roads, which makes it important to have a special test protocols (including shock and vibration tests ,salt spray, corrosion and more) for listing carbon monoxide alarms used in all RVs.
Could you indicate your source on this please?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
Site Team

I posed this question to Mac the Fire guy.

www.macthefireguy.com

I'll post his reply when it comes.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrbellamy View Post
Could be difficult. A home hard wired unit is likely 120V not 12V and you probably don't have 120V handy in the ceiling.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #13

I have the combo CO/LP detector. Should I assume this also has a 5 year expiration? MTI SAFE-T-ALERT RV CO/LP Carbon Monoxide Propane Gas Alarm White 35-742-WT
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I have the combo CO/LP detector. Should I assume this also has a 5 year expiration? MTI SAFE-T-ALERT RV CO/LP Carbon Monoxide Propane Gas Alarm White 35-742-WT
According to the User's Manual available for download from the manufacturer's web site;

IMPORTANT: This unit must be replaced within five years of its
production date. Record the manufacture date in the section,
Owner’s Replacement Record, in this manual for future use. The
replacement date indicates the date beyond which the device may no
longer detect carbon monoxide or propane gas accurately.

MTI Industries, Inc.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #15

Thanks, I tried quickly to find the info from the e-bay website. Guess I'd better order one as mine will be 5 years old come next month.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
That is the most common one. You can look on it and the birthdate is stamped on it. It may be in the back. Two screws.

Personally I would not replace one if it passes a self test.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Personally I would not replace one if it passes a self test.
I test it twice a year and has never gone off. I was going to order a new one for that inevitable 3am alarm down the road.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I posed this question to Mac the Fire guy.

www.macthefireguy.com

I'll post his reply when it comes.
Hi Norty,
Did you ever get a reply from Mac?
Thanks,
John
Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Could you indicate your source on this please?
Lots of great info on this site, RV Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms Recreational Vehicle Carbon Monoxide Alarm | Quantum Group Inc. Quantum Group Inc
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote