Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01 Send a message via Skype™ to abridges01
Coach battery discharges - probable cause is broken relay PCB

Our ’15 Greyhawk 29KS (Marge) suffers from continually discharging coach battery. The Master Power switch inside the door does nothing, no longer causes the relay to trip or the LED on it to extinguish.

I have Marge booked in for warranty service next week, but given the total inefficiency of the local Jayco dealer (takes 3 months to get a service slot, followed by 2 to 3 weeks before the look at it, then the real fun stuff begins!), I thought I would take a look first.

I removed the coach battery to see a small printed circuit board (PCB) hanging by a single red wire from what I assume is the main coach battery disconnect relay. Closer examination shows that the PCB has obviously broken off from some place, with at least one copper PCB track visible and a rough edge to the fiberglass (you can see a photo with the dangling relay shown in the bottom HERE - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z5t6ed5pe..._5295.jpg?dl=0 ).

The main component on the PCB is a 963-1C-12D, according to the data sheet I found HERE (www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/636825/963-1c-12ds_hsin-da-precision.html96), a “Subminiature automotive relay with reliability”

Incidentally, the two fuses either side of what I ‘assume’ to be the main power relay are:
LHS, 5A – blown.
RHS, 7.5A – OK.

My questions to ‘the panel’ are:
1. Does anyone know what this PCB does?
2. Where it was originally connected?
3. Where I can source a replacement?
4. Or failing #3, how I can jury-rig up something to replace it?

Thanks in advance.
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

The rest of that ckt board is attached to the left hand nut of the relay (right under the caution label) with the white wire attached to it. It's obviously been broken off. If you're good with kludging stuff together and with a soldering iron, you might be able to repair it.

The way I would attempt to repair it would be to remove the ckt board pieces and put them on a workbench. The small white wire can be disconnected from the relay but the red one goes around behind the fuse block. I'd probably just snip that red one and splice it back together later. Or, of course you can attempt to remove the whole shootin match. Anyway, I'm betting that ckt board can be glued back together and those lands repaired with solder and/or wire.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The rest of that ckt board is attached to the left hand nut of the relay (right under the caution label) with the white wire attached to it. It's obviously been broken off. If you're good with kludging stuff together and with a soldering iron, you might be able to repair it.

The way I would attempt to repair it would be to remove the ckt board pieces and put them on a workbench. The small white wire can be disconnected from the relay but the red one goes around behind the fuse block. I'd probably just snip that red one and splice it back together later. Or, of course you can attempt to remove the whole shootin match. Anyway, I'm betting that ckt board can be glued back together and those lands repaired with solder and/or wire.
You're a star Hoppers4! Thank you.
Not sure how I missed the half a PCB at the top, think I'll put it down to fatigue...
Any roads, thank you for your invaluable help, I will attempt the repair tonight.
Cheers.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Actually I had to cheat and go look at my MH to see where the ckt board might go. Spotted the red and white wires going to the board and figured out that was it.

FYI, your house battery will still go dead even after employing the battery disconnect switch. There's other parasitic draws on it such as propane/CO detector, and leveler circuitry that doesn't go through the disconnect relay. You have to either keep it on shore power all the time or physically disconnect the battery.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

Yes, I do appreciate battery draw is inevitable, but we've been seeing it last than 20 hours with no significant draw, i.e., over night.
Just aborted the repair as it is beyond my ken/patience/skills! Going to see if I can possibly source one from a part # I located on the PCB.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

The Jayco Part# for the entire relay assembly is 0200096. Part description is
"SOLENOID,BATTERY DISCONNECT
WITH COIL PROTECTION CIRCUIT
***”GREEN CIRCUIT BOARD NOT
AVAILABLE SEP”***"

If you'd like the 2015 Jayco catalog that lists this item, PM me with your email address. I'd post it here except the file is 28M which is too big for this forum.

I've also been thinking along the lines of what broke the relay. Perhaps the battery cables broke it when if they flexed up to the circuit board when the battery box was pushed in. The battery cables on my rig flex down and avoid that area entirely. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abridges01 View Post
Our ’15 Greyhawk 29KS (Marge) suffers from continually discharging coach battery. The Master Power switch inside the door does nothing, no longer causes the relay to trip or the LED on it to extinguish.

I have Marge booked in for warranty service next week, but given the total inefficiency of the local Jayco dealer (takes 3 months to get a service slot, followed by 2 to 3 weeks before the look at it, then the real fun stuff begins!), I thought I would take a look first.

I removed the coach battery to see a small printed circuit board (PCB) hanging by a single red wire from what I assume is the main coach battery disconnect relay. Closer examination shows that the PCB has obviously broken off from some place, with at least one copper PCB track visible and a rough edge to the fiberglass (you can see a photo with the dangling relay shown in the bottom HERE - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z5t6ed5pe..._5295.jpg?dl=0 ).

The main component on the PCB is a 963-1C-12D, according to the data sheet I found HERE (www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/636825/963-1c-12ds_hsin-da-precision.html96), a “Subminiature automotive relay with reliability”

Incidentally, the two fuses either side of what I ‘assume’ to be the main power relay are:
LHS, 5A – blown.
RHS, 7.5A – OK.

My questions to ‘the panel’ are:
1. Does anyone know what this PCB does?
2. Where it was originally connected?
3. Where I can source a replacement?
4. Or failing #3, how I can jury-rig up something to replace it?

Thanks in advance.
If you're still around, can you tell me how your problem was resolved? I'm having the same symptom, except the relay board is intact in my coach (2018 Greyhawk 29MV). I'm thinking one of the two fuses on the relay is causing the issue.
Thanks
Rvorbust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, isolator, main power, master power, relay