Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
snip...
How much time do you spend doing a thorough black tank dump and flush?
1) This must be the first unit you've had with a black tank. 2) Your primary concern seems to be the time needed to dump the black tank.

I'd suggest you try the trailer, black tank and all, before committing $1,000 to change to a composting toilet. You'll need the sewer hose etc. anyway to dump the gray tank. Then you'll how much additional time it takes you to dump the black tank.

DW and I usually fill the black and gray at close the same rate so they both need to be dumped when we have a sewer connection at a camp ground; about every 4 days. Virtually everyone dumps and flushes the black tank first. Then the gray water cleans stuff out of the sewer hose.

So how much additional time does it take me to dump and flush (with built in flush) the black tank? I'd estimate 15 minutes total - 5min for the initial dump of the black tank and then an additional 10min alternately turning the water to the flush on, then off, and watching for solids while the flush water runs out. I usually cycle the flush on/off about 4 times. Notice that virtually all of the additional time is spent watching.

oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #12

For me if I was boon docking a lot, maybe the composting toilet would be more appealing. If I'm using full hook ups, or normal campground stuff, I'm sticking with the RV toilet. Since I have to stop to dump grey tank anyway, the added work of the black tank is not a problem in my opinion.

The dark side (no pun intended) of the composting toilet is you still have to deal with the waste. Can you go a week w/o dumping the compost toilet? I'm a bit ignorant about them, so I don't know what you are obligated to do with the urine or the brown stuff. I assume you don't just poor them out on the ground.? Dig a hole and bury them.?

I think they are cool. I really like the Winn videos. Maybe if I knew more about them I would feel differently. But, ya can't try before you buy (typically....)

2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

OK need some education on these things. My only experience with composting is kitchen scraps and garden clippings. A typical compost pile or container takes a full season to turn the above into rich soil. Just don't believe one of these toilets can complete the process over a long weekend.

Also am thinking you are trying to come up with a solution [and a very expensive one] for a problem that really doesn't exist. All of this has been mentioned in the previous posts but just can't see one of these fancy units.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Just did some reading on how these things work. They really do work and in the right environment they can be a good alternative to a conventional sewage system. Many of the users are from the green group and see them as a way to save the planet. But to answer the question I raised in the previous post, there are a lot of variables to how long a cycle from "raw material" to humanumor. Generally it takes 2 to 6 months for the bad stuff to turn into good stuff and depending on conditions it can be longer.

Now we fast forward back to the RV situation and I think the OP is thinking these things are filled / processed / and emptied during the course of a camping weekend or week. Sounds like you are dragging around the waste for a considerable period of time for the cycle to complete and during this time many systems require a power source to provide heat and ventilation. Not thinking the neighbors would think kindly about the sweet smells coming out of that vent.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
JMC

I found out this week we'll be storing the trailer at a place with a dump station. I didn't expect that. So my concerns around timing we're assuming I'd have to always look for one after our dry camping trips... And that there would likely be a line.

So with your comments and now easy access to a dump station, I'm less concerned about it.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
Site Team

I think you will find that is a non issue once you get the procedure down.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I think you will find that is a non issue once you get the procedure down.
x2

Emptying the tanks is one of the least (the least?) pleasant things when RVing. But my DW says that having our own bathroom is one of the best things when RVing.

I do suggest you invest in good quality sewer hose etc. (I have RhinoFlex, but there are others). The stuff that comes with the trailer may work, but mine pulled apart about the 2nd time I used it. Thankfully that happened at the end dumping the gray tank. I don't want to even think about that happening at the beginning while dumping the black! I got rid of that original equipment hose etc. immediately.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
Site Team

Ours does not stink so we never have to experience that problem.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

I read that the composting toilet requires a constant running fan to eliminate gasses and odor, if that is true my battery wouldn't last. Maybe useful in an outhouse or Porta John with solar power set up.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #20

Maybe if you wait a couple years, this will be ready:

This Nanotech Toilet Uses No Water And Produces Energy From Human Waste | IFLScience

Would take care of waste, create energy, and give you water to wash your rig. If you pooped enough, you might not even need solar! What more could you ask for?