Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Conflicting Information

On our last trip of the season and will be dumping the tanks in prep for winterizing, which leads to my question - do I put any water and chemicals in the black tank?

Probably a dumb newbie question, but have been told both yes and no. My thought is no as the tank will be rinsed thoroughly and I don't want to dilute the antifreeze, but how do you prevent the toilet seals from drying out?

Thanks in advance...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Newbie here too, but I have read info that says leave tanks empty, no chemicals or antifreeze( other than the little that goes into tank when pumping antifreeze through your lines.. I've also read to pour antifreeze in all traps and in the toilet bowl itself. I am sure more experienced rv'ers will have more info..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

10 years of winterizing the same trailer and I have never had to replace the toilet seal. Connect your antifreeze bottle as you are instructed by the manual for your trailer, turn on your pump and open all the required faucets. When getting to your toilet, flush the toilet until the antifreeze starts flowing, allow it to drain into the black tank for about 5 seconds then release the handle. Allow about a quarter of the bowl to remain full of the antifreeze. Done.
this is of course assuming you've already completed the flushing of your grey and black water tanks prior to winterizing.
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNear View Post
10 years of winterizing the same trailer and I have never had to replace the toilet seal. Connect your antifreeze bottle as you are instructed by the manual for your trailer, turn on your pump and open all the required faucets. When getting to your toilet, flush the toilet until the antifreeze starts flowing, allow it to drain into the black tank for about 5 seconds then release the handle. Allow about a quarter of the bowl to remain full of the antifreeze. Done.
this is of course assuming you've already completed the flushing of your grey and black water tanks prior to winterizing.
This is what I do. I also pour some in the traps.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

Bnear is correct. pouring in traps is really optional. It certainly dont hurt. I actually blow the lines first (after dumping the tanks). Then add "pink koolaid". Just because the air will truly get everywhere, and get all the water out, then when you pump, you are pumping just "pink RV goodness" and it will consume just a touch less.

Leave the pink stuff in the holding tanks for the winter (as well as the little bit in the toilet). Keeping all the seals wet, will help the seals last longer, and be easier to use in the spring.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Any additional recommendations for those with washer/dryer combo?....interested because we are thinking of trading for a fifth wheel that has the washer/dryer.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

when winterizing, turn the knob on the washer to spin/rinse and the drying time to the shortest time given. Let the washer cycle thru. It will siphon from the pump (connected to the bottle of "pink koolaid"). It will suck about 1 gallon. In other words, it will take about 3 gallons to winterize a unit with a washing machine. If you can find a clean container that will hold at least 3 gallons, pour 3 gallons of "RV Antifreeze" (pink koolaid) in the bucket, perform all the typical steps to winterize, then turn on washer as explained. -- When the washer has finished "spinning" everything out, you can turn off water pump, undo the bottle and button things back up. Your washer is now winterized.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwed94 View Post
when winterizing, turn the knob on the washer to spin/rinse and the drying time to the shortest time given. Let the washer cycle thru. It will siphon from the pump (connected to the bottle of "pink koolaid"). It will suck about 1 gallon. In other words, it will take about 3 gallons to winterize a unit with a washing machine. If you can find a clean container that will hold at least 3 gallons, pour 3 gallons of "RV Antifreeze" (pink koolaid) in the bucket, perform all the typical steps to winterize, then turn on washer as explained. -- When the washer has finished "spinning" everything out, you can turn off water pump, undo the bottle and button things back up. Your washer is now winterized.
Not sure I'm crazy about the idea of running antifreeze through the washing machine but having said that, I've never done it before so I have no idea. I'd feel more comfortable just pulling the drain and water lines and simply letting them drain out. Doing that would be fine because the washer isn't a seal system and gravity will allow the washer to lines to drain.

Again, that's just my opinion and not based on actual experience
BNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Don't forget to let a little pink stuff flow thru the outside shower
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

Use the dry chemical in the tank for the winter. When the antifreeze goes in it will mix and give you something. There is going to be a little of residual water in the tank, but due to the surface area it will not harm anything due to it having area for expansion. As long as the ice has somewhere to expand (up) it will safely.

Where freezing is an issue is when there is no room for expansion like a hose under full pressure.

Keep in mind that you will run AF into the traps when you winterize and under most conditions that is enough. My philosiphy is that the AF is cheap and the fixes are not so if you spend $20.00 bucks on AF and use it all so what. You know it's not going to freeze.

Water heater drained, bypass on and outside shower. Pull all the low points after you winterize as this will help with the spring cleaning of the system.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

After blowing a lower water heater hose between the valve and the tank, I now open the lower water heater hose valve to allow some antifreeze in that line as well. I can assure you, that the little bit of antifreeze in the hot water heater is worth not having to replace that line in the spring...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote