Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #21

Joe, is this one yours? Do the model numbers match what you have?http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/ilcmanl.pdf
RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #22

Well, I have no model numbers but that does look like mine. I just got an email from IOTA basically confirming that it is not the one you can put the IQ4 card on. Said they made it specially for Jayco as that is what they requested.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the response from Iota after I sent them pictures.

Hi Joe,

What you have is our model “ILC-3045”. It has a 45amp converter mounted on the back. Attached is the owner’s manual.

Unfortunately, that design does not have the option for the IQ4 smart switch. It was a design for Jayco and they did not want that option available.

The only choice you have if you do want the IQ4 option would be to install a separate DLS-45 converter (with the IQ4) and connect it directly to the battery. You could then disconnect the AC power from the converter on the back of the ILC and leave it there as a back up if you ever needed it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #24

It's a shame that Jayco decided to save a few bucks in this manner.

The reason I'm interested is that we boondock quite a bit. When boondocking, and powering the converter with a generator to re-charge the batteries it is nice to be able to recharge at a somewhat higher voltage to reduce charging times. Maybe the Iota will do that automatically. I don't know.

If you usually have electric service at your trailer when you camp, this is probably not important to you. If this is the case for you, just enjoy your trailer, let the converter do its thing, and don't worry. Do check the battery water level occasionally and fill each cell when needed with distilled water.

If you do boondock and use a generator, the converter will recharge your batteries, it will just take a while longer if the output voltage is not increased.
RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Well, that still leaves me in the dark as mine is defnitely an IOTA converter and not a Progressive Dynamics.
FWIW, the Jayco engineer told me that all modern converters work as follows: 45 amp (or whatever the rating is) converters supply 45 amps to the batteries minus any load requested by the trailer. If the load from the trailer, such as lights etc. is 10 amps, then 35 amps go to the batteries. This is different than the old converters that had split circuits, one for charging (sometimes as little as 3 amps), and one for running the trailer.

So... that doesn't help you determine whether your Iota is, or can be made into, a multi stage smart charger, but it's all I know.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
It's a shame that Jayco decided to save a few bucks in this manner.

The reason I'm interested is that we boondock quite a bit. When boondocking, and powering the converter with a generator to re-charge the batteries it is nice to be able to recharge at a somewhat higher voltage to reduce charging times. Maybe the Iota will do that automatically. I don't know.

If you usually have electric service at your trailer when you camp, this is probably not important to you. If this is the case for you, just enjoy your trailer, let the converter do its thing, and don't worry. Do check the battery water level occasionally and fill each cell when needed with distilled water.

If you do boondock and use a generator, the converter will recharge your batteries, it will just take a while longer if the output voltage is not increased.
A solution I did with my old trailer was to buy a Vector 60 amp smart charger, about $100, and plug it into my generator, then hook it right to the battery terminals. Kind of a PITA, but it did the job, charging the batts fairly rapidly and safely. We boondock a lot, and that solution worked well.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote