Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
You can just barely hear the generators from the front & sides if you are standing right next to the truck. From 10 feet away you can't hear them at all.

They heated up the bed of the truck but it wasn't extremely hot. Not so hot that I was worried about damaging them.
It sounds like (sorry about that ) there is little sound tranmitted through the truck bed, the side walls, or the cover. You might be able to build several baffles to stand across the bed of the truck between the generators and the tailgate. Each of them could stand on edge from the truck bed up to the cover and extend maybe 3/4 of the way across with a foot or so between each baffle. The openings could be staggered from side to side so there would be no direct opening from the generators to the open air. A fan or two might be necessary to keep enough air flow for combustion and cooling.

It seems this would be making your truck bed into a muffler. It may seem odd (I have never heard of it being done before), but it might be easier to try than building a box.

There are sound absorbing products out there (Homasote is one brand) that aren't very expensive, easy to work with and may make excellent baffles.

Sherm & Terry w/rescues Steve (std Poodle) & Eydie (min Schnauzer)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights 2015, 90 nights 2016)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 AM   #12
I have been looking online last couple weeks for a good way to secure a yamaha 4500 generator that I just bought. I did find some here is a link to one here. As oldmanaz said I would be worried about heat with a box like this but I also live in the heat. May not be a problem in your area. I decided I am going to weld up my own box that will attach to my bumper hitch on my 5th wheel with openings. Problem I found with most store bought generator boxes is they are cheaply made ex wobble or cheap materials. I will post up after I complete it but should look something like this one that a guy made for a travel trailer here.

2014 26.5RKS 5er
2008 GMC 3500 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
catch5steve is offline   Reply With Quote