Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

DC outlet power?

Hi All,
Noobie question here. I got my Octane 161 just before winter set in and have only taken two short trips in it so suffice to say I'm not "one with the unit" yet. My question will probably sound weird, but here goes: If the trailer is operating on 12v DC should there be power to the outlets? It seems to me there was, but now there isn't. After I winterized it I took the battery out and put it in the garage on a trickle charger, it's got a full charge. I installed the battery today because a friend wanted a tour and I was surprised the outlets are dead. All the other electricals work, bed lift, lights, vent fans, etc., just the outlets don't work. I didn't look at all the fuses, but there isn't one marked "outlets" anyhow and I didn't want to be yanking them all out for giggles unless this is an issue. I thought I remembered the outlets being functional on 12v DC, dry camping would be more challenging without them. Oh yeah, the owners manual sucks. Thanks for helping out a noob!
pquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Bump...Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Your electrical outlets, a/c, microwave, will not work unless you are plugged into shore power or hooked up to an appropriate generator. The battery(s) will run the lights, radio, vent fans, frig on gas, furnace, and the 12volt outlet by the TV. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Your electrical outlets, a/c, microwave, will not work unless you are plugged into shore power or hooked up to an appropriate generator. The battery(s) will run the lights, radio, vent fans, frig on gas, furnace, and the 12volt outlet by the TV. -Lee
Thanks Lee, I appreciate the info. On my unit the outlet by the cable jack doesn't work either though. Maybe thats as it should be for my rig? From the labeling on the electrical panel it doesn't look like there is a specific fuse for the outlets, do you know if that's the case?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #5

Ok... The cigarette looking plug is the only 12V outlet in the TT. Typically part of the Winegard TV antenna system. But there is a limit of about 8 Amps allowed and POP! The fuse should blow. (At least in my manual). The 12V distribution box with all the fuses should have it.

Flip the lid up and on the inside of the lid should be marked for what the fuse covers...

As for all the AC outlets those will only show power when hook to shore power as mentioned above. But the AC to DC converter on board should be charging the batteries if the AC plugged in. You might grab a volt meter and do a bit of testing.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

On mine there are 2 outlets by the cable jack. One says 12 volt DC, looks like what you would plug a cigarrete lighter into . This one is supposed to work with the battery, but you must push in the button on the jack to turn on the DC power and the antenna booster. You should see a green light when it is on. The regular house recept by the TV will not work unless plugged into shore power like the rest of the recepts. In my fuse box there are different breakers for different rooms so all the outlets are not on the same breaker. One will say "bathroom" or "Bedroom" or ''Kitchen". Of course your trailer may differ from mine. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Tomorrow I'll run out to the TT and shoot some pictures of the breaker panels and see about helping through this electrical mess...
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #8

Ok I got a few pics... (Yeah I know there blurry but...)

Here is power cabinet under my range...

Here is the 12V power distribution panel and fuses

Now the simple part all the black wires are POSITIVE and all the WHITE wires are NEGATIVE just use a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) and test all the black wires ans see if 12V is present. Also check the large black wire lug to see if 12V is coming from the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4261.jpg   DSCF4263.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #9

Thanks guys, I think I've got it all sorted out now. I really appreciate the help!!!